By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Anyone else find it disturbing that COD5(PS3) outsold R2 in NA?

kunaixhaku said:
if r2 was to be a 360 exclusive, this game would sell more than gears 2 and be a halo 3 rival for top spot. ms would market this title like there is no tommm they would make it known they have another title on their system to rival halo 3.

Sony put it on a building! You can't really advertise more than that.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

Brand name? Halo 3 sold way more than a few better games last year? No reason to cry about it. Call of Duty: WaW has a huge fanbase of over 3 million PS3 owners.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

bbsin said:

I know it's a much more popular series, but COD5 is still a multiplatform game. This goes to show how crappy Sony marketing has been in NA. COD:WaW was advertised by gamestop alot while R2 had almost no exposure outside of gaming magazines and websites.

I think Sony is taking advantage of Insomiac's ability to develop games on a yearly basis. 

Its really disturbing since COD5 hasnt been released yet. :P

Now World at War is a different matter. :)

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

CoD: WaW was riding off of the success of CoD4. That's really hard to beat.

Hell, CoD4 outsold RFoM despite everything RfoM had going for it (launch title, bundling, etc.).

It all comes down to Sony's failure to market to real people. The ads they put out show nothing that would make people instantly know it is a video game. Sure it says Playstation 3, but to the average consumer that could mean anyhing. The PS3 has movies, TV shows, and games. Showing a trailer without gameplay, or just showing some complelty unrelated thing and then flashing PS3 after it does not sell.

If you want to know what Sony needs to do to sell game look at Nintendo's marketing. Real people playing the actual game seemingly having have.

Obviously Resistance is supposed to be an online game so why are they not showing a bunch of highschool kids playing against each other online. Show them chatting, and having a good time while they blow Chimera away in the amazing Co-oP mode. They can do that plus add some cinimatic pieces for a couple of seconds to bring the climax of the commercial, and then flash the Only on PS3 logo.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

This really has nothing much to do with marketing people.

too bad insomniac is a private company and doesnt release it's information... dont forget how many times MGS 4 has been adjusted up from official reports

Yes, especially since CODWaW outsold week 1 + 2 of R2 with first week sales and by a comfortable margin as well.

flagship said:
Yes, especially since CODWaW outsold week 1 + 2 of R2 with first week sales and by a comfortable margin as well.

CoDWaW is also released in 2 regions too.... and dont you dare say R2 is also because of Japan.

I don't find that disturbing because it is hard to beat the COD series ....

R2 is certainly not the challenger for COD. Yes it is an exclusivity... but exclusivities don't seem to sell well on the PS3 for some reasons (???), except MGS4.

Why is that so ? I have no f*cking idea..

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.