By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Dodece said:
Badassbab said:

Dodece: Your ignorance astounds me. Japan accounts for just over 13% of this generations global console market. Further more last weeks numbers clearly show that Japan accounted for all of 5% of global console sales. The market in Japan is not even remotely big, and more to the point it is almost entirely irrelevant.

Japan alone has accounted for over 10 million next gen console sales so far of which less than 1 million is for the 360. There are still a good few more years left in this console war and the JPN will buy many more millions of consoles. That is NOT an irrelevent market otherwise Microsoft would bother trying to bring all those JPN RPG's to the 360.

What is exactly so difficult for you to comprehend. The market accounted for less then five percent of the global market last week, and thus far this generation Japan represents thirteen percent of the total market. You might not be aware of this, but the Japanese market accounted for almost eighteen percent of the market earlier in the generation. So the Japanese market is actually shrinking. Please do tell me where you place the line of relevance seeing as five percent is highly relevant to you. What is it one percent perhaps. A million units is not very relevant when this generation is going to move well over a hundred million units.

Were we to be overly generous, and were we to say the PS3 would sell 20,000 units a week in Japan from this week foreward, and the 360 to stop selling entirely. Sony would be able to only accumulate an additional two million within a standard generation time frame. For generation end totals that could be a massive percentage of between one percent and two percent. Honestly this probably couldn't happen the 360 will still sell, and the PS3 will probably average out well under twenty thousand units weekly.

For the high definition consoles this market is entirely irrelevant. Half the generation has been spent, and returns are nothing to write home about. Microsoft works on Japan, because that is their weakest market. They want to enjoy better sales there next generation four or five million in sales is always worth having. Having good relations with the developers is good for all their markets. That does not mean the market has the potential to alter the outcome of anything this generation. The numbers that can be generated there can never hope to offset North America or Europe. You can easily win without Japan. You cannot win without being competitive in North America. You cannot lose by a hundred thousand in North America, and be competitive by using the small sales from Japan as a crutch.

The reason nobody talks about Japan is simple. The market in Japan is just not substantial not in regards to sheer volume. Japan moved ten million, but the rest of the world moved sixty six million. Further more Japan is moving less consoles weekly now its as if the rest of the world moved nineteen while Japan moved one. That is how you should look at the numbers.

Ok so maybe I exaggerated the significance of the JPN market. I guess it's not the powerhouse it once was. But it's still an important market, hence JPN sales figures are well publisised and they are still second (I think) only to the United States in sales figures (if we speak of single countries only and not whole continents). There is a reason Japan have many of the top console specific developers and that is because the land that gave us Nintendo, Sony, Sega, Konami, Namco, Capcom et al is a nation full of gamers.

Using your figures out the 76 million consoles shipped so far, Japan accounted for roughly 13% of the market. As a single country it's not too bad. Last gen, the JPN bought over 25 million consoles, more than any other country bar of course the US. That's about 15% of the global hardware sales. I'm sure Microsoft wouldn't mind a piece of that. But yeah I get your drift. Japan is a small piece of the overall global pie.

Around the Network
TWRoO said:
Bboid said:

So after reading 10000 posts like this one I have a few statemnts I would like to make:

1)  No matter how you view it, there are VERY few people who own only a Wii.  It is a novel console that is fun for everyone and every person should have one in addition to a new age console (ps3/360) <- meaning I find it hard to compare Wii numbers to ps3/360

What I can be sure of is that at a minimum, 50% of current Wii owners will only own the Wii, most of those will be some of last gens GC and PS2 owners.... and I think it more likely it is nearer 70 or 80% of Wii owners are only Wii owners.

The people that own only  a Wii in "this gen" own a PS2 which is still fully supported by most developers and will eventually migrate to a 360/ps3.  Price of next gen systems is holding back a large segment of last gen owners, i mean PS2 is still moving 1 million software a week worldwide... how many of these titles are sports/interactive games that are multiplat?  How many last gen players were young and migrated to PC gaming in their maturity?  How many gamers have been sucked into the World of Warcraft blackhole of no return(since it entirely consumes all your free time).  I will admit I exagerated, but are you seriously saying 50% of Wii owners solely own a Wii (50% at minimum might I add), I really find this to be more exagerated.It's probably closer to 25-30%.

Bboid said:
TWRoO said:
Bboid said:

So after reading 10000 posts like this one I have a few statemnts I would like to make:

1)  No matter how you view it, there are VERY few people who own only a Wii.  It is a novel console that is fun for everyone and every person should have one in addition to a new age console (ps3/360) <- meaning I find it hard to compare Wii numbers to ps3/360

What I can be sure of is that at a minimum, 50% of current Wii owners will only own the Wii, most of those will be some of last gens GC and PS2 owners.... and I think it more likely it is nearer 70 or 80% of Wii owners are only Wii owners.

The people that own only  a Wii in "this gen" own a PS2 which is still fully supported by most developers and will eventually migrate to a 360/ps3.  Price of next gen systems is holding back a large segment of last gen owners, i mean PS2 is still moving 1 million software a week worldwide... how many of these titles are sports/interactive games that are multiplat?  How many last gen players were young and migrated to PC gaming in their maturity?  How many gamers have been sucked into the World of Warcraft blackhole of no return(since it entirely consumes all your free time).  I will admit I exagerated, but are you seriously saying 50% of Wii owners solely own a Wii (50% at minimum might I add), I really find this to be more exagerated.It's probably closer to 25-30%.

You're pulling numbers out of your ass. There is legitimate research that have studied console ownership and they show nothing like the numbers you are presenting.

Either put up or shut up. Making phoney baloney numbers up here is not welcome.

FishyJoe said:
Bboid said:
TWRoO said:
Bboid said:

You're pulling numbers out of your ass. There is legitimate research that have studied console ownership and they show nothing like the numbers you are presenting.

Show me the numbers and please don't be rude.

Edit:  just an fyi, only number I cited was from this weeks WW numbers.  The other is based off of personal experiece.  I have not seen a single article anywhere stating 50+% sole Wii ownership.  So you should either show me a reliable source that says that or direct your rude gesture towards the other posters.  99% of numbers on these forums are made up so dont single me out(rudely) for using personal experience from those around me. 

Bboid said:
FishyJoe said:

The burden of proof is on you. I'm not the one making up fake numbers.

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:
Bboid said:
FishyJoe said:

The burden of proof is on you. I'm not the one making up fake numbers.

VG chartz provides fake ww numbers! you said it yourself.  I would like you to show me the legitimate research that shows Wii sole ownership.  I honestly haven't seen this so please do show me.

This is how wrong you are:

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/npd-72-of-us-plays-games-online-gaming-still-relatively-small/?biz=1

The NPD also pointed out that multiple console ownership in the current console lifecycle is currently very low; just three percent said that they own two of the three systems (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii). Two percent said they own all three.

FishyJoe said:

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/npd-72-of-us-plays-games-online-gaming-still-relatively-small/?biz=1

The NPD also pointed out that multiple console ownership in the current console lifecycle is currently very low; just three percent said that they own two of the three systems (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii). Two percent said they own all three.

Thanks.  I was wrong.  Didn't realize there were that many people who didn't own more than 1 console from this gen.  Almost every person I know has a Wii and a 360 or ps3.  I'm the only person with all 3 so I dig the 2% owning all 3.  3% owning 2 systems I think is low, but I understand the article is a bit outdated.

Do you have anything on global numbers or focused at europe?

Bboid said:
FishyJoe said:

Thanks.  I was wrong.  Didn't realize there were that many people who didn't own more than 1 console from this gen.  Almost every person I know has a Wii and a 360 or ps3.  I'm the only person with all 3 so I dig the 2% owning all 3.  3% owning 2 systems I think is low, but I understand the article is a bit outdated.

Do you have anything on global numbers or focused at europe?

Well there you go, I didn't think it would be anywhere near that low, but I did know multi console owners are a minority and will stay that way for a long time.... hell I only own a Wii yet I am "hardcore" enough to come to a website about console sales.

Regarding Europe and worldwide, I highly doubt the figures are higher there because in general America is the most "hardcore" in that they buy more games for their consoles.

Sardauk said:
Kantor said:
Ronster316 said:
@ Kantor

Confusion can lead to chaos, which in turn can lead to rebellion and anarchy...... Let the chaos begin

In the end... there will be only CHAOS!

That's another reason why the PS3 will come back in 2009.

I didn't realized that the return of Kratos would be so important to the gaming nation....

So... this messia would have the difficult task to .. what... sells 3 times more than MGS4 ?

It doesn't have to sell three times more than MGS4 and there's no reason why it should. Ten million sales?

I think we can safely expect 4-5 million LTD. Look at the boost MGS4 gave to the PS3. Put it above the Wii that week. I suppose it appealed to Japan as well, but I say God of War 3 can have not quite a Halo boost, but more than a Fable II boost.

And I said another reason. Not the only reason.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective