By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The NXE kills 360s, the confidential 360 source was right

MaxwellGT2000 said:
Um... wow my friends 360 randomly froze on him when we was checking around on the NXE yesterday, sounds kinda bad I hope they patch whatever they did to it soon for his sake...

I wouldn't worry about it.  If it was really a problem it would be all over every gaming site, not just a few forums linking to engadget.

Around the Network

I don't see anything on the SA forums about the NXE killing consoles. And they have a shitload of Xbox 360 failures.

heruamon said:
ROFLOL...when sony fanboy want to post stuff like this, and 360 is beating it by nearly 100K BEFORE the holiday shopping begins in earnest, one has to wonder. Blah Blah Blah...NXE is causing RROD....Blah Blah Blah. This is getting so tired, but HEY, if you get a RROD, go buy a Shiny new 360 for $199 with free games!

Why are you talking about sales? If I wanted to, I could talk about how the more expensive, NO GAMES PS3 outsold the 360 last Christmas season and most of 2008....but that has nothing with 2 separate articles (engadget and Gamespot) talking about how the NXE is causing problems.

KylieDog said:
twesterm said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Um... wow my friends 360 randomly froze on him when we was checking around on the NXE yesterday, sounds kinda bad I hope they patch whatever they did to it soon for his sake...

I wouldn't worry about it.  If it was really a problem it would be all over every gaming site, not just a few forums linking to engadget.

The second post of this thread impulsivity posted:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6201379.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;6

a similar article on gamespot. In an "un-scientific survey" they found that every single Gamespot editor who applied the NXE update had problems, freezing or worse.

That isn't just a few forums linking to one site, that is a real article from a review site stating problems.

So where in that article does it talk about the RRoD?

If you're talking about the freezes, it is a known issues that you can get 30 second or so freezes and wouldn't be surprised if some people reset their console early and others are actual freezes that requires a reboot but that article doesn't say anything about bricking consoles.

And considering that those freezes come mainly when fiddling with the avatars, I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say that it's probably a problem with the avatars and a shit-ton of people fiddling with them.  I imagine it will be fixed in the coming weeks when everybody isn't fiddling with them at the same time and they've had some time to work the kinks out.

For as big as an update as NXE is it has gone pretty smoothly.

-edit-

Also, I would consider this widespread if I saw seperate stories about RRoD's on multiple places like IGN, Gamespot, Kotaku, Eurogamer, Escapist, Destructoid, VGChartz and most other game news sites, not just Gamespot and Engadget.

The Gamespot article is just talking with various problems like freezing to nitpicking things like the giant grey circle at the bottom of the screen while the Engadget article is talking about freezing and RRoD issues.

MontanaHatchet said:
Occasionally it freezes when I flip through the menus too fast, but it hasn't killed my 360. At least, not yet.

ive had probs with nxe getting fsod quite a lot............and sometimes wen u goto marketplace it takes far 2 long for items 2w load...........overall it looks better but i use th muchimproved blades to navigate..........but i cnt find change thmes option anywhere...............im not to impressed with nxe in fact its not nxe at all its nd...........new dash but these r just niggles and will b patched soon

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network

My Xbox 360 freezes/crash all of the time and I live with it. I don't think it's exclusive to the NXE -- with some games the system just habitually freezes. I had it freeze 2 or 3 times after about 20 hours of gameplay on both Rainbow Six: Vegas as well as Saints Row 2.

Also, take a look at the engadget poll:

Perfect, and my avatar is sooo sexy. 11242 (39.7%)
Maybe it was glitchy a bit, I dunno, I need to get back to Fallout 3. 2437 (8.6%)
Pretty buggy but no showstoppers. 1438 (5.1%)
Tons of freezing, but hasn't died yet. 1475 (5.2%)
Red ring'd a bit, now it's back. I'm scared. 466 (1.6%)
Bricked but Microsoft is picking up the tab. 307 (1.1%)
Bricked and Microsoft said "die in a fire," charging $100. 1368 (4.8%)
This question doesn't apply to me, I just like messing with poll results. 9570 (33.8%)

According to that, 6.5% of readers encountered a RRoD issue.  That doesn't seem like a big scary number but you also know for a fact that fanboys will be fanboys and will pick the Bricked and Microsoft said "die in a fire," charging $100 option just because they can.

So lets just assume that number is actually more along the lines of 3%, still not a really scary number.  But wait, if they are charged $100 that means their warranty has expired.  If that's the case, they have a launch console where people love to say those have a %60 fail rate. 

That puts that number closer to something around 1.2%.

So that's 4% of the readers encountered the RRoD.  4% of 23 million isn't a widespread issue.  That's even assuming the fanboys didn't pick one of the other RRoD options.

Skeeuk said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Occasionally it freezes when I flip through the menus too fast, but it hasn't killed my 360. At least, not yet.

ive had probs with nxe getting fsod quite a lot............and sometimes wen u goto marketplace it takes far 2 long for items 2w load...........overall it looks better but i use th muchimproved blades to navigate..........but i cnt find change thmes option anywhere...............im not to impressed with nxe in fact its not nxe at all its nd...........new dash but these r just niggles and will b patched soon

Good God, what did you type that on!?  :-p

Also (point of the post), what is fsod?

Skeeuk said:
MontanaHatchet said:

but i cnt find change thmes option anywhere

its in the Profile thingy.  sign into your profile and then go back into same box and you should see it.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

fsod = frozen/freeze screen of death