By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Critical Xmas for the Xbox360 ???

endimion said:

and most my friend in france were PS2 fanboys... a lot are thinking about shifting to XB as soon as the price cut fall and the falcon RRoD pb are fixed

I have made the same observation. A lot of my friends were PS-2 fanboys. Now they have switched to the Wii or DS.

Microsoft has currently a problem with its pace. Once they have the falcon ready together with a price drop they are probably back in the game. The PS-3 on the other hand will only become acceptable for most people when it dropped to 200-300 Euro max. , while at the moment it stays stubornly at 600 Euro...

These are simply prices that people who want to play games won't pay! Either you have other interests in it or it is simply a none issue. Another point will be much more important: How profitable are the games for its producers. At the moment we are still in a stage where they can get additional support by Micrtosoft or Sony, but this will decrease! If the games do not get their money back, support for thius console will decrease.

If my numbers are still correct, you could say a Wii game costs about 50% of a Xbox 360 game, which costs about 50% of a PS-3 game. While their are ways to lower these figures, this normally concures with a sharp decrease in performance.

Around the Network

true, I would just add that a lot of exclu XB are on PC too which allows the dev to make bit of extra money with not a lot of extra cost... and with the game for windows MS is making money on  PC and XB... but I agree with you just that in addition

HappySqurriel said:

mrstickball said:

Everyone thinks MS will blunder it, but I really don't think they will. They've been saying since before last Christmas that the battle wasn't in 2006, but during Christmas 2007. Look at it: The X360 has by far, the best lineup of games in history. Ever. I know everyone will hate me for saying it, but the X360 lineup is about as good as the Wii and PS3's combined.

That is one of the easiest to attack statements ever made on this site ...

The XBox 360 simply doesn't have a genre defining platformer, adventure game, JRPG, Fighter, or kart racer. The XBox 360 has not spawned countless new genres, and hasn't redefined existing genres.

If the XBox 360 really had the best lineup of games in history its sales would be the best sales for any console in history.

The XBox 360 has an excellent selection of racing games and shooters which seem to appeal to a selection of hard-core gamers who would see it as the "best line-up in history" but for the majority of gamers it probably misses some/many of their favourite genres or series.

Your a complete moron... you think thats the easiest to attack statements on this site when we have threads called "Wii games with superior graphics than Xbox 360, or Playstation 3 games"

What genre is not covered by 360 this holiday season?

JRPG - Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata
RPG - Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect
Action - StrongleHold, Assassins Creed, GTA4
Fighter - Virtue Fighter 5, WWE
Strategy - C&C3, Brother in Arms: Hell's Highway

I did not cover shooters or racing because its obvious.... a AAA title from every genre in 4 months.. .is impressive as hell much less two or more. And... just to drive it home... what AAA RPG is being released for Wii or PS3 before christmas? much less splitting up JRPG and RPG's...

I will give you "kart racer" if thats even a Genre seeing as how there is only 1 game... I don't consider it a genre but whatever.

Also mrstickball is not the only one who says its the best lineup in history many reviewers are saying that... and I am not sure I agree with that It is 100% better than wii and ps3's lineup

thors1982 said:

Your a complete moron... you think thats the easiest to attack statements on this site when we have threads called "Wii games with superior graphics than Xbox 360, or Playstation 3 games"

I did not cover shooters or racing because its obvious.... a AAA title from every genre in 4 months.. .is impressive as hell much less two or more. And... just to drive it home... what AAA RPG is being released for PS3 before christmas? much less splitting up JRPG and RPG's...

I will give you "kart racer" if thats even a Genre seeing as how there is only 1 game... I don't consider it a genre but whatever.

Also mrstickball is not the only one who says its the best lineup in history many reviewers are saying that... and I am not sure I agree with that It is 100% better than wii and ps3's lineup

Hint: You don't need to call someone a complete moron in order to attack their arguments.

PS: That thread name you quoted about Wii games blah blah is not a claim. You should read the thread's contents if you don't want to look like "a complete moron" (where did I hear this one?)

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

thors1982 said:

I did not cover shooters or racing because its obvious.... a AAA title from every genre in 4 months.. .is impressive as hell much less two or more. And... just to drive it home... what AAA RPG is being released for Wii or PS3 before christmas? much less splitting up JRPG and RPG's...

Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata are nothing to write home about with BD getting pretty bad reviews.

Stranglehold, Assassins Creed, and GTA4 are multi-platform, and Stranglehold is actually a third-person shooter.

95% of fighting game fans outside of Japan don't give a damn about Virtua Fighter and will probably be busy playing Tekken or Soul Calibur if they want a 3D fighting game. VF5 is still exclusive to the PS3 in the only territory it matters.

C&C3 and Brothers In Arms target the core American gamers just like shooters and racers, C&C will most likely sell better on PC, and Brothers In Arms is multi-platform.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

Around the Network
thors1982 said:
HappySqurriel said:

mrstickball said:

Everyone thinks MS will blunder it, but I really don't think they will. They've been saying since before last Christmas that the battle wasn't in 2006, but during Christmas 2007. Look at it: The X360 has by far, the best lineup of games in history. Ever. I know everyone will hate me for saying it, but the X360 lineup is about as good as the Wii and PS3's combined.

That is one of the easiest to attack statements ever made on this site ...

The XBox 360 simply doesn't have a genre defining platformer, adventure game, JRPG, Fighter, or kart racer. The XBox 360 has not spawned countless new genres, and hasn't redefined existing genres.

If the XBox 360 really had the best lineup of games in history its sales would be the best sales for any console in history.

The XBox 360 has an excellent selection of racing games and shooters which seem to appeal to a selection of hard-core gamers who would see it as the "best line-up in history" but for the majority of gamers it probably misses some/many of their favourite genres or series.

I didn't say that the XBox didn't have any of those game genres, but I do stand by my argument that the XBox 360 doesn't have any genre defining titles in the genres I mentioned.

Anyways, I grow tired of this argument ...

Continue to believe that Microsoft has been given a raw deal if you will and that most people are mindless sheep unable to choose the console that will truely make them happy (which in your opinion must be the XBox 360). I will continue to believe that Microsoft has heavily targeted a small portion of the market and has failed to address the desires of the market as a whole; much like the original XBox the XBox 360 will get good games released for it's weaker genres but many of these games will be new IPs which are overhyped and don't meet the kind of success (in terms of sales and critical acclaim) that XBox fans expect.

Honestly, I've owned a 360 for a bit over a month and have been heavily researching upcomming games; I am always amazed at how a single screeshot with absoluetly no information about the game can spawn so much hype in the XBox community. I could understand the hype for some of these games if they were produced by a good developer or were part of a critically acclaimed series many of these games are hyped as "AAA" based on a single screenshot even though their developer has never produced a good game.

I've got to agree with HappySqrl, the 360 lineup is lacking certain genres. The only noteworthy platformer on the system is Banjo Kazooie which is still at least a year away. Adventure games? Maybe Kameo...and that's about it. It's also severely lacking in Japanese games (that aren't exclusive JRPGs paid for by Microsoft) and cute E-rated games. Microsoft has the opposite problem of Nintendo - it's not "kiddie" enough.

Edit: Not that this prevents MS from doing well, but I think it will prevent them from being #1 unless they can find new audiences.

NJ5 said:

Hint: You don't need to call someone a complete moron in order to attack their arguments.

PS: That thread name you quoted about Wii games blah blah is not a claim. You should read the thread's contents if you don't want to look like "a complete moron" (where did I hear this one?)

You are right I shouldn't have said that, and I am sorry

However, I find it hard to believe that unless it is your first day reading any gaming board that that is the worst statement you have ever read.  We have people claiming 6 million sold PS3's to consumers.  We all have read some guy claiming "Halo 3" is going to PS3... these are much worse than saying something, many reviewers have said and at the very least hundreds of thousands of people would agree with.

Also, I did read the wii thread... its a stupid argument, even if Mario Galaxy looks better than the worst 360 game... wtf is the point and no Mario Galaxy does not look better than PGR3, a launch game. Or Call of Duty2 (screens were posted i believe).   Wii is not an amazing system because of its graphics... it is an AMAZING machine no doubt.  But seriously trying to compare its graphics to 360 and PS3 is pointless.  Comparing it to PS2 and Xbox... is probably closer... however it will definately win. 

@HappySqurriel

Not sure I get the blowing things out of proportion based on screenshots... you may be right.... i just haven't noticed it.

I think the 360 and the original Xbox have completely different games... I didn't own a xbox last gen cause like you said they didn't have much to choose from. I think this argument is outdated... It was very true last gen but I don't believe it at all looking at current titles out and titles to come it blows my mind how different the two systems are.

Currently I am a Wii and 360 man I have both and I couldn't ask for anything more... except maybe a new platformer... Kameo was awesome but that was a long long time ago, Zelda was of course AWESOME. I think between those systems I have every genre known to man covered and there is no way I will be able to buy all the games i want comming out this holiday season

Also... even if you do consider Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata bad RPGs.... its still more/better than what is comming out for Wii and PS3 combined. Just saying...

^^^

If that's true, then why have the 360's sales decreased month over month since the beginning of the year? Why are its sales only half decent in one market? Why is the PS3 outselling it in Europe without a price cut?

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3