By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - IGN 9.0 for Left4Dead unfair, would be 6.5

I'll lay it out like this, If L4D deserved a 6.5 the following should have happened:

UT2004 6.5
MGS4 5.0
Resistance 2: 4.5
LBP 4.5
Mario Galaxy 5.0
BioShock 6.0
Portal 6.0
Halo 3 3.5
MP3: Corruption 4.5
SSBB: 5.0
TF2: 6.0

HAlf-Life 6.5

Yet I don't see those being the scores, sadly this game should have been a lot closer to a 10 imho.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network

WTH? I only played the demo and I thought it was great! (on Steam) I'm planning on picking up the game (along with the Full Valve Pack on Steam) once I send myself some money.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=49130&page=1

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Kasz216 said:
FPSrules said:
after ign gave GTA4 a 10 out of 10 i stop listing to their reviews. there isn't nothing special about L4D. its just another zombie game, except they respawn at different places everytime you play it. your not the only one, i tried it and didn't like it, good thing i didn't waste my $ on it

I think you underestimate the importance of this.

Once procedural generation becomes mainstream... games will hit a new level... like the switch between 2D and 3D.

Picture a game... where you can make your create a character look like pretty much anything (like spore.) 

Now picture your computer opponents can show up anywhere to fit the atomosphere and give you a new expirence (like L4D)

Perhaps even the enemies look different (like spore)

Now say your weapons are procedural... offering over 500,000 pickupable possibilities (like Borderlands.)

The level is different everytime you are there (Procedural level generation, which... some game is using i forget which.)

All that's left is...

Procedural AI.  You never know how the enemies are going to reaact because they don't have recognizeable paterns.  Not all of the same type act the same.

If all those advances are made and perfected... you have one game that will never get old so long as you like the core gameplay.

Of course that's probably why they'll never be combined.

I think Resistance 2 does it. In the coop mode, small pieces of maps are put together randomly to form the map you are playing on, and (I don't know if they do in fact do this) there was talk about having randomly spread out things like building debris to take cover behind.

I want to love L4D, but I will be completely honest with you...

I haven't tried it

I have nothing to play it on!

I comented AS PC user, not as a PS3 fan boy :P ooh god.

PSN: franco-br
MGS4, GH, MW2, GT5p, WipeoutHD, etc..etc..

disolitude said:
kibebr said:
Not only about gameplay, but for everything, so POOR...

Nah its a fun game. I do believe Valve gets a free pass a lot of times from reviewers for some reason...but this isn't it.

L4D is a solid 8.5 game for the concept alone. I agree graphics are not great and it will get boring fast but the game is really fun for a while.

I'm sorry, but I have a hard time understanding how a game can be a solid 8.5 that gets boring fast?  If a game get's boring fast, assuming the rest of the game is absolutely perfect (and you already stated the graphics weren't), it should start out at an 8.  This is like saying KUF:COD was a good game - it was fun when you first played it, but it got boring fast.  At least in KUF:COD's case, they built it to be a bullshit pass-the-time title until the real game was released.

I haven't played L4D, so I can't really say.  I just can't logically give a game an 8.5 that has shitty graphics and shallow gameplay, based on what you said.

Around the Network
vlad321 said:

I'll lay it out like this, If L4D deserved a 6.5 the following should have happened:

UT2004 6.5
MGS4 5.0
Resistance 2: 4.5
LBP 4.5
Mario Galaxy 5.0
BioShock 6.0
Portal 6.0
Halo 3 3.5
MP3: Corruption 4.5
SSBB: 5.0
TF2: 6.0

HAlf-Life 6.5

Yet I don't see those being the scores, sadly this game should have been a lot closer to a 10 imho.

It's a good thing you don't review games, because these scores are horrible...saying L4D is better than all of those - hell, saying Halo 3 should get half the score of L4D, you've got mental issues.  UT2004 is far from the best (or tied for) game on that list.

I really like VALVE, mainly about Half Life and Half Life to (to not mention the fun with Orange Box), BUT Left4Dead, hoo god, not the same "fun factor"...

So many fan boys say so much bullshit about rank 8.5 or less... take a break!

PSN: franco-br
MGS4, GH, MW2, GT5p, WipeoutHD, etc..etc..

kibebr said:
I really like VALVE, mainly about Half Life and Half Life to (to not mention the fun with Orange Box), BUT Left4Dead, hoo god, not the same "fun factor"...

kibebr, Left4Dead is a unique teamplay experience, it is an enhanced version of the fundamental of TF2.

Now I noticed that some players don't do good with the team-effect. (note: In l4d, if you play alone, you die and you screw up the team..).

Is this your impression ?

I had a couple of bad experience during the demo / I was playing with some stupid asshole, totally inapt to understand the "stick together" concept of the game.

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

kibebr said:

Your opinion only.

There seem to be more people with an opposing opinion though, so get over it. The game is good, you just don't like it.

And he hasn't even played it! Gosh.

I don't think disolitude has played the full game either, I have yet to see someone bring up the same complaints who has actually played the full game.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )