By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - IGN 9.0 for Left4Dead unfair, would be 6.5

mwjw696 said:
kibebr said:

I don´t believe LEFT4DEAD got a 9.0 for this game, for more random and AI presented, it´s SO POOR, try playing more than one hour for 5 days, you never more touch the game.

Is this 9.0 from IGN because VALVE is behind??

WTF

To bad your opinion counts for nuthing. The average reviews are glowing. So either go back and play your COD4 over and over. Or go make your own respected video game review site.... ROFL YEA RIGHT.

Look you dont like the game thats fine but a useless post about your own opinion is not going to lower the score. ALOT of people LOVE the game. You are going to have to deal.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/left4dead

Look at the score. Its not just IGN, it all over.

First time I went to metacritic for this. Apparently one of the reviewers that gave it an 80 burned through the game in 5 hours. Either him and him and his team were beasts, or he just put it on easy and let that go. My team is well over 15 hours in and we're at the 3rd chapter now, however expert difficulty is absolutely amazing, it's where the game shines the most.

@BenKenobi

I have to agree, it's like people complaning about the single-player in Unreal Turnament.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network
Mise said:
Sqrl said:

The thing I simply don't get is why if they find the game so boring do they feel the need to come trash it?  There are plenty of games that I didn't like that I thought were overhyped that I didn't feel the need to trash.  This kind of persistence on a topic the person claims to be disinterested in doesn't really make much sense to me.  What benefit is gained from this? ***2)***

Attention?

There are three easy ways for getting attention in regards to games on teh internets: Trolling, bashing a widely appreciated game, or defending a widely despised one. Only one of those is a bannable offense, and the former is much easier to do than the latter.

I can understand why people don't necessarily love it, though. First of all, the single-player component is practically non-existent (ie. a near-dealbreaker for someone like me), and second, the game essentially demands a team. And I'm pretty sure that players, being the persistent pests we are, can find all sorts of nifty ways to completely eviscerate the games balance in the coming weeks.

Also - it might be just me, but a game like this can potentially have a really steep learning curve. When you are required to work as a team, wide differences in skill can quickly disrupt a team and its performance, and weaker players will either be typecast in the weakest roles there are or ousted completely. I don't use Steam, so I don't know whether it has a skill-based matchmaking system or not, but this is something to consider IMO.

Actually I think we agree on almost everything TBH.

The single player is not the strength of the game, and they openly admit that.  So certainly as a single player I could see why someone would give it a 7, but I don't think a game designed around multiplayer should be reviewed as a single player experience.  To me that is like reviewing a song based on the standards of a movie =P

And I definitely agree on the learning curve, that is a fairly succinct way of summing up what I was driving at in my last post.  But I think in this case part of that steep curve is the result of a major shift in the genre from co-op optional to co-op required where teamwork isn't just helpful but essential. 

While most games only build on existnig mechanics and have a fairly easy task in training their players.  This game has to train players for a vastly different experience so its a much tougher job (that shouldn't be taken as an excuse on the dev's part, but rather a reason to give it a bit more of a chance).  The dev's could have certainly done more to help train people but they've already done more than any other game I know of.

For instance, in the commentary they explain that their hint system tracks the situation and provides contextual hints.  In a given situation there might be 3 or 4 hints but they have them prioritized to show the most important one. Where the system gets even better than that is that they actually track your actions and make notes of how many times you demonstrate competence in the action being hinted at and eventually they mark it as "learned" and stop showing you that hint in favor of the next hint on the priortized list.  In this way they can train players and ensure that they learn the most essential skills needed to succeed ASAP.  The downfall here is that it can still take a little while to train them and they never get trained if they only play 2 chapters of a movie.  I don't blame the player, but I also don't really blame Valve as much as I would in other situations because not only is their task abnormally difficult, but they also devised a fairly clever solution to it.

To Each Man, Responsibility
BenKenobi88 said:
If you don't like multiplayer, there's really no need to even be talking about the game then.

You don't buy TF2 and go aww no single player? You don't buy Portal and go aww no multiplayer? L4D is a multiplayer game, so if you don't like playing with people online, it's simply not the game for you, end of story.

No need to go on.

And there's an easy difficulty setting for a reason...

If I didn't like online MP or MP in general, I would've never bought Brawl; I just happen to prefer SP over it. And even if the game is multiplayer-centric, a decent single player component doesn't exactly hurt anyone, and vice versa; Deus Ex's online MP didn't detract anything from its single-player experience, for instance.

But then again, I don't have really anything else to add here. The demo apparently blows and it's completely Valve's fault if they lose sales because of it, some people like the game and some don't, and bashing a loved game is a really easy way to get attention online. I guess that's pretty much it.

Cheerio.

Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.

Mise said:
BenKenobi88 said:
If you don't like multiplayer, there's really no need to even be talking about the game then.

You don't buy TF2 and go aww no single player? You don't buy Portal and go aww no multiplayer? L4D is a multiplayer game, so if you don't like playing with people online, it's simply not the game for you, end of story.

No need to go on.

And there's an easy difficulty setting for a reason...

If I didn't like online MP or MP in general, I would've never bought Brawl; I just happen to prefer SP over it. And even if the game is multiplayer-centric, a decent single player component doesn't exactly hurt anyone, and vice versa; Deus Ex's online MP didn't detract anything from its single-player experience, for instance.

But then again, I don't have really anything else to add here. The demo apparently blows and it's completely Valve's fault if they lose sales because of it, some people like the game and some don't, and bashing a loved game is a really easy way to get attention online. I guess that's pretty much it.

Cheerio.

The demo didn't blow....but it was easier and very short...this is a multiplayer game that is much, much more satisfying if you play through a whole campaign with other people.

And Valve couldn't really make a whole campaign the demo, since that'd be like 1/4 of the game right there...since it is very, very replayable.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

^^ Very replayable indeed. I finally got the damn thing and I convinced the wife to play with me. We played the No Mercy campaign on Easy, mainly for her benefit since she rarely plays shooters. She liked the game, and will probably play with me a few more times offline, perhaps even online with some friends. She was worried it'd be too scary, but she found it wasn't that bad. She just has to get used to the controls, but the next campaign we'll be bumping up to Normal. :)