By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Analysis: First week CoD WaW Wii major flop, Medal of Honor breaks 500k

shokenchi said:
newbie here. i just got my copy today and i have a quick question. is the case different from other wii games? i mean the area of opening the case. thanks.

It's definitely different. When I fight bought the game and opened it, I thought it felt strange...The box is different from all my other Wii games. That's why it' special. I

3DS FC: 1306 6473 7511

Nintendod Network ID: xsorenx

Add me for Pokemon, New Leaf, and Fire Emblem, Mario Kart 8.

Around the Network
Sheershaw said:
I heard a different story. Some GameFAQs users say they can't find the game because they were sold out, but it was because there was limited supply. People were seeing 2 Wii copies while seeing 20 360 copies. Also, some retailers haven't even gotten copies. Here's a link to the thread:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=946229&topic=46564352

Interesting. Still, these are anecdotal posts in a Nintendo forum, so don't put too much stock in them.

outlawauron said:
Sheershaw said:

I know my store got 2 copies of the Wii version, and we still have 2 copies. We got about 80 360 copies and about 55 PS3 ones. We sold about 65 of the 360 and 45 of the PS3.

Huh. Guess your place doesn't place much stock in the Wii version. Out of curiousity, where do you work? Gamestop?

mrstickball said:
trestres said:
@mrstickball: Instead of horribly trolling, read my post. I think you may find some answers there.

So that would mean that 3rd party multi-plat games will always perform poorly on the Wii, as per your statement, right? That is, unless your average 'core/hardcore' gamer suddenly buys a Wii, and plays it exclusively.

Of course, that doesn't take into account the exclusive failures such as Zak & Wiki, No More Heroes, and others.

Serious dude go do some fact checking before you troll. For 5,000+ posts you should know better. No More Heroes did just fine, beat expectations and there is a sequel on the way. Zak  & Wiki also did just fine and I'm sure cost next to nothing to make. People like you often forget that devs have said that Wii games cost significantly less to produce. Whiz-bang HD graphics don't grow on trees, they cost *millions* of dollars. I would venture that most Wii games that sell over 75,000 are successful unless they are really big and heavily promoted. If COD5 passes 200k I'm sure it will have more than satisfied the cost, even without the revenue that will surely be gained from licensing the ported engine. The Wii has its share of failures but to think that a Wii game needs to sell the same as an HD game to be successful asinine. 

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256

averyblund said:
mrstickball said:
trestres said:
@mrstickball: Instead of horribly trolling, read my post. I think you may find some answers there.

So that would mean that 3rd party multi-plat games will always perform poorly on the Wii, as per your statement, right? That is, unless your average 'core/hardcore' gamer suddenly buys a Wii, and plays it exclusively.

Of course, that doesn't take into account the exclusive failures such as Zak & Wiki, No More Heroes, and others.

Serious dude go do some fact checking before you troll. For 5,000+ posts you should know better. No More Heroes did just fine, beat expectations and there is a sequel on the way. Zak  & Wiki also did just fine and I'm sure cost next to nothing to make. People like you often forget that devs have said that Wii games cost significantly less to produce. Whiz-bang HD graphics don't grow on trees, they cost *millions* of dollars. I would venture that most Wii games that sell over 75,000 are successful unless they are really big and heavily promoted. If COD5 passes 200k I'm sure it will have more than satisfied the cost, even without the revenue that will surely be gained from licensing the ported engine. The Wii has its share of failures but to think that a Wii game needs to sell the same as an HD game to be successful asinine. 

ROFFLE.

The Wii is 2 years old and people are still pulling Zack & Wiki out of their ass? It's like the fact that the game was successful pisses them off to the point where they have to keep latching on to it after the fact. I've noticed that No More Heroes isn't a poster child anymore, what with its massive success and the announcement of a sequel, but there are a few stragglers that will swear you down that the game failed, or didn't do well enough (whatever that means).

If CoD5 can outsell MoH:H2 then I think it will be pretty successful.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
DMJ - Except for Nintendo-backed 'big' games. Which tend to have massive openings like any other system.

And Trestes - Didn't you notice before attacking me of being a troll, I posted once in this thread before UK numbers came out and said "if it didn't sell within 50% of the PS3 version, I'd post in my sig that the Wii can't move 3rd party core games"?

And here's the key part, really. Brawl had massive hype, weekly web site updates, and a substantial ad campaign. Mario Kart Wii was more low-key, but carries the pedigree of one of the most massively successful franchises of all time. Wii Fit was the keystone of Nintendo's E3 presentation in 2007 and also recieved a massive marketing push.

By comparison, CoD: WaW Wii had three screenshots on the official website and five seconds of footage at E3 buried amongst a host of other 3rd party games. When Youtube is your main channel of publication, you are not going to garner massive week one launches.

I'm sure Activision doesn't expect massive launch numbers, either. They're just dipping their toes in the water to see if it's warm enough for them yet.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Believe it or not, some people don't go online immediately. They like to finish the campaign first.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

MoH:H2 is a great game. That might explain it.

I have the absolute best graphics version of WaW (PC) but I still choose Wii because the controls are fun.

Like amp316 said, I have not yet gone online.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

mrstickball said:
trestres said:

Right, most 3rd party HD/Wii multi-plat games will do poorly on the Wii, because the games' values are better served on the HD versions. If you look at any exceptions, like Guitar Hero or Tiger Woods, it's obviously because graphics/online don't matter as much, or the Wiimote is by far the superior control scheme.

Personally, I don't have any HD/Wii multiplat games. They tend to suck (IMO), and I already have an HD console anyway. Notice how nearly all the top highest rated Wii games aren't on HD platforms. Hell, I support IW's decision of leaving the Wii out of the CoD loop.

As for the last line, it's more of the same old garbage... No More Heroes, a failure? It's Suda51's most successful game, and they're planning a sequel, so that makes sense. Zack & Wiki flopped? It's a Japanese adventure point & click game. Tell me, when was the last time those games ever sold well? Look at Tales of Vesperia for the 360, a game in a more popular genre with a much bigger budget, and it's a proven IP. The game looks like it'll sell even less, what does that tell you?