By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DVD size limiting Project Gotham Racing 4

your mother said:
IllegalPaladin said:
your mother said:

Installing games is certainly different from swapping while playing. However, I don't see it as a major stumbling block as long as you are not asked to constantly swap discs. Additionally, with hard drives (Xbox WILL get around to it, it's inevitable!) parts of the game can be "installed" on the hard drive to mitigate the swapping.

However, my point was more along the lines of (as with some multi-disc PS/PS2 games): If MGS4 came in multiple discs, would I pass on it if I wanted to play that game? Certainly not. I am willing to put up with the minor aggravation if in exchange the game provides me with hours of fun. I wouldn't let 10 seconds here or there ruin hours of entertainment!

Actually, this happens all the time with VCDs (and with some longer movies, with DVDs as well) and VCDs are still selling all over Asia. Again, it might just be me, but I don't see the issue.

Half-Life 2 came in two retail versions - the 5 CDs and 1 DVD version; having said that, the DVD version may just be the Asian retail box.

My frustration with disk swapping on a console would be if it became very frequent. RPG's are fine because each disk takes a while to play through, but where I find it annoying is in the shorter games. I think it would get very cumbersome if (*IF*) lots of games started to require disk switching and the games weren't even near as long as an RPG, but were like 10 hours or less.  

Around the Network
IllegalPaladin said:
your mother said:
IllegalPaladin said:
your mother said:

Installing games is certainly different from swapping while playing. However, I don't see it as a major stumbling block as long as you are not asked to constantly swap discs. Additionally, with hard drives (Xbox WILL get around to it, it's inevitable!) parts of the game can be "installed" on the hard drive to mitigate the swapping.

However, my point was more along the lines of (as with some multi-disc PS/PS2 games): If MGS4 came in multiple discs, would I pass on it if I wanted to play that game? Certainly not. I am willing to put up with the minor aggravation if in exchange the game provides me with hours of fun. I wouldn't let 10 seconds here or there ruin hours of entertainment!

Actually, this happens all the time with VCDs (and with some longer movies, with DVDs as well) and VCDs are still selling all over Asia. Again, it might just be me, but I don't see the issue.

Half-Life 2 came in two retail versions - the 5 CDs and 1 DVD version; having said that, the DVD version may just be the Asian retail box.

My frustration with disk swapping on a console would be if it became very frequent. RPG's are fine because each disk takes a while to play through, but where I find it annoying is in the shorter games. I think it would get very cumbersome if (*IF*) lots of games started to require disk switching and the games weren't even near as long as an RPG, but were like 10 hours or less.

I agree. Linear games won't be an issue, but in a huge, spiralling game like GTA it can be. For instance, if you went from one district (1 cd) to another (another cd) and back, it would be pretty maddening, especially if you crossed it by accident.

I would think the developers of such games would take thhis into consideration before chopping the game up to span multiple discs.

The bad part is for some game genres even judicious chopping won't aviod the disc-swapping - only mitigate it somewhat. 

your mother said:

I agree. Linear games won't be an issue, but in a huge, spiralling game like GTA it can be. For instance, if you went from one district (1 cd) to another (another cd) and back, it would be pretty maddening, especially if you crossed it by accident.

I know it may not be great or the best solution, but a "Are you sure you want to do this?" type menu could at least avoid the effort of having to swap discs twice even if you did hit the barrier on accident. Though as suggested, developers can find little tricks or fixes to make things fit given enough time.

DeltaXIII said:
your mother said:

I know it may not be great or the best solution, but a "Are you sure you want to do this?" type menu could at least avoid the effort of having to swap discs twice even if you did hit the barrier on accident. Though as suggested, developers can find little tricks or fixes to make things fit given enough time.

What? And break your temporary suspension of disbelief with a Windows-type dialog?

You heretic!

MrMarc said:
Erm the title of this is misleading, and I get the impression not alot of you actually bothered to read the comments on the page.

They stated how they created a workaround for recreating the environments in different lighting situations. Rather than taking solution A, they've taken solution B, there's little, if anything to implicate the size of DVD9 as a restriction for PGR4 as a particular case.

Workarounds, everyone uses em in one way or another!

Complaining about so called 'restrictions', whether it be power, storage capacity or anything is a pure show of lazy development and optimisation.

As much as I love the Project Gotham series you're absolutely right, it just boils down to lazy development.  

Test Drive: Le Mans, perfect example.  If you played the 24 hour race mode, you know what I'm talking about.  If you haven't, in short, it has the best dynamic, real time weather of any console racing game period.  It does this with a 25 car field, all with great artificial intelligence, full tyre wear and fuel consumption and (hint GT5/Forza 3) pit stop save points.  All of which was crammed in a 1.5 GB Dreamcast disc.

Now I'm pretty darn sure that the AI will be less than stellar in PGR4 and will have sub 16 car/bike fields, so the only real hurdle will come from the graphics/framerate.  From the sounds of the article it's like PGR2's weather effects, with better graphics and snow.  But consitering that Project Gotham 2 was a jem to begin with, it isn't really a bad thing.

Around the Network
Nonquihote said:
kn said:
Just out of curiosity, and I realize that it isn't going to happen, but let's say that FFXIII on the PS3 that is coming out next year was SO big and had so much FMV and other "cinematic content" that it ended up on two disks. Would it be OK then since the game was so Epic?

Exactly, its not gonna happen.

50gb is enough even for the FMV whores of square. 

Why would you need FMV if the graphics on the PS3 look so good? I mean, I could understand FMV with the PS1, but the PS3? Come on now... a Bluray disc can only hold a couple hours of 1080p FMV right, plus the game, right?

DeltaXIII said:
your mother said:

I know it may not be great or the best solution, but a "Are you sure you want to do this?" type menu could at least avoid the effort of having to swap discs twice even if you did hit the barrier on accident. Though as suggested, developers can find little tricks or fixes to make things fit given enough time.

Why wouldn't they just copy game data to the hard drives? I mean, thats what they're for right?

All I have running in my head is the Ps3 Song "how you lost your brand"? The part where the guy sings "Blu Ray which I don't need now you getting your a$$ kicked by the Wii". Well Looks like MS is gunna get majorly pwnd by Ps3 and Soon Getting it's A$$ Kicked by the Wii.

MS should just roll over and admit defeat. Anyways After Halo 3 it's down hill for a bit til Gears 2 then it's going 6ft under. imo.

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

while Microsoft isn't making any big splashes or have as many any killer IPS announced, they still have a brighter future than the PS3 and unlike Sony, MS isn't in financial turmoil.

Is the 360 a sloppy venture. Sure. Is it a so-so product. Hell yeah! Does it have as many killer exclusives lined up for it like the PS3 does? Nope. But will it get all the juicy hand-me-downs and cross platform games that are also on the PS3? Oh yeah. Will the 360 always be more appealing the audience the PS3 is trying to capture with its "hardcore" force-fed-seven-FPSs-a-year bad boy image. Yes.

Back on topic though. I think 'Your Mother' makes a good argument in that multi-disc games have never in any way what-so-ever under any circumstances ever been an issue for anyone or any game the last two generations so why they would be a problem now is just pesimistic nit-picking. If you have to make up imaginary scenarios that could never happen to justify your aprehension of multi-disc games, then you have no real argument.

Summary of this thread:

Pro Multi-Disc Argument: Multi-Discs have never been an issue.

Anti Multi-Disc Argument: But what if I'm in the middle of like a critical boss battle that I'd been working seventeen hours strait to get to and suddenly need to change game discs in the middle of the fight and I don't have time to pause the game and then while the new disc is loading I'm killed because I can't move my character and my save data is lost? Then I get angry at the game and throw my controller at the TV and break the TV, and it was an expensive TV so my parents kick me out of the house and now I'm poor and starving.

Proud Owner Of: Wii, DS, PSP, Xbox 360 (Brother owns PS3 & PS2)

Things that have changed since the last Generation of Gaming:

- Nintendo has shown us you can have the best selling console of all time with virtually no games for it.

- Graphics suddenly matter to Sony fans but Reverse Compatibility and Dual shock oddly enough don’t.

- Kiddy Crap is trendy with Hardcore gamers now that it’s no longer Nintendo’s “thing” (Viva Piñata, Little Big Planet, Banjo Kazooie 3, LBP)

- Third Party Developers are now essentially the equivalent of Video Game street pimps.

- Gimmicks are no longer fads (Wii-mote)... Well, not all Gimmicks (PS-Eye)

@Z64dan,

==> the Core doesnt have HardDrive so u cannot make an universal game for all the SKU if u used he premium/elite HD.

To comeback to PGR4,

at least there is weather condition in the game.

For the moment, we have not seen any weather condition in GT5prologue ...

Time to Work !