By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DVD size limiting Project Gotham Racing 4

This is why we arent going to see stauntan island on gta4 becuase of the size of the dvd.. I hate micrsoft why couldnt they support hd dvd.

mM
Around the Network

It sounds like the dev's found some pretty smart ways around it. Hopefully they'll make some advancements in compression techniques soon.

I wonder what other games it will hinder?

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Back on the Playstation most games were running into the physical limitations of the CD and had to be released on multiple discs if they wanted to include cd audio (for music/sound effects) or FMV; the Playstation's low processing power and limited memory meant that compression (MP3, MPEG-2) was simply not an option so even small quanitities of multimedia content ate away disc space.

Today things are different being that most games do not need much FMV with how powerful modern consoles are and 10% of a DVD will give you over 10 hours of compressed unique music/sound effects. Certainly, there will be multiple DVD games and games which are scaled back to fit on a single DVD but unlike the Playstation these will be the exception not the rule.

I could be wrong but I suspect the average consumer is willing to save $200 and have less than 10% of games impacted than to spend the additional money so that 10% of games are slightly enhanced.

Kojima said 50gb was not enough for him lol... so that tells you something.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Nonquihote said:
kn said:
Just out of curiosity, and I realize that it isn't going to happen, but let's say that FFXIII on the PS3 that is coming out next year was SO big and had so much FMV and other "cinematic content" that it ended up on two disks. Would it be OK then since the game was so Epic?

Exactly, its not gonna happen.

50gb is enough even for the FMV whores of square.

Understood.   I stated so.  But you didn't answer the question.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

Lazy devs, they should learn to do procedural generation :P

kn said:
Nonquihote said:
kn said:
Just out of curiosity, and I realize that it isn't going to happen, but let's say that FFXIII on the PS3 that is coming out next year was SO big and had so much FMV and other "cinematic content" that it ended up on two disks. Would it be OK then since the game was so Epic?

Exactly, its not gonna happen.

50gb is enough even for the FMV whores of square.

Understood. I stated so. But you didn't answer the question.

Fantasy land question are kinda pointless.

But it would be less epic so it would not be ok, PS3 is capable enough that you could start a game and finish it with out ever stoping the gameplay.  Like the fully streamed world of Uncharted. 

Darn, now I guess we can count out ever having a "random blink" engine for woodland animals in forest areas or GPS confirmed geographically accurate star charts for night time levels in our 360 and Wii games. What has DVD done? Didn't Sony warn us about our follies?. How will I ever experience hyper realistic effects in my 360 games when there's no room left on the game disc for the "virtually simulated circulatory system" engine that regulates the game pace variable breath fogging inside the H.U.D. Hell, If I can't even count the individual blood cells in the blood splatter after blowing apart an enemy what's the point of even playing an FPS?

If only I had realized my foolish shortsightedness sooner. Curse you DVD-9, curse you, you've killed my hopes and ambitions for true gaming.

ckmlb said:

I guess the official MGS pod cast where insiders spill the beans that Kojima said the game could be easily done on the 360 means nothing then right.

Proud Owner Of: Wii, DS, PSP, Xbox 360 (Brother owns PS3 & PS2)

Things that have changed since the last Generation of Gaming:

- Nintendo has shown us you can have the best selling console of all time with virtually no games for it.

- Graphics suddenly matter to Sony fans but Reverse Compatibility and Dual shock oddly enough don’t.

- Kiddy Crap is trendy with Hardcore gamers now that it’s no longer Nintendo’s “thing” (Viva Piñata, Little Big Planet, Banjo Kazooie 3, LBP)

- Third Party Developers are now essentially the equivalent of Video Game street pimps.

- Gimmicks are no longer fads (Wii-mote)... Well, not all Gimmicks (PS-Eye)

Maverick Hunter Z said:

ckmlb said:

I guess the official MGS pod cast where insiders spill the beans that Kojima said the game could be easily done on the 360 means nothing then right

They didn't say 'easily', but that it was technically possible because the PS3 and Xbox 360 were somewhat similar.

IllegalPaladin said:
Maverick Hunter Z said:

ckmlb said:

I guess the official MGS pod cast where insiders spill the beans that Kojima said the game could be easily done on the 360 means nothing then right

They didn't say 'easily', but that it was technically possible because the PS3 and Xbox 360 were somewhat similar.

Touche, I guess I was on the wrong side of the hair when it was split.

Proud Owner Of: Wii, DS, PSP, Xbox 360 (Brother owns PS3 & PS2)

Things that have changed since the last Generation of Gaming:

- Nintendo has shown us you can have the best selling console of all time with virtually no games for it.

- Graphics suddenly matter to Sony fans but Reverse Compatibility and Dual shock oddly enough don’t.

- Kiddy Crap is trendy with Hardcore gamers now that it’s no longer Nintendo’s “thing” (Viva Piñata, Little Big Planet, Banjo Kazooie 3, LBP)

- Third Party Developers are now essentially the equivalent of Video Game street pimps.

- Gimmicks are no longer fads (Wii-mote)... Well, not all Gimmicks (PS-Eye)