By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DVD size limiting Project Gotham Racing 4

Erm the title of this is misleading, and I get the impression not alot of you actually bothered to read the comments on the page.

They stated how they created a workaround for recreating the environments in different lighting situations. Rather than taking solution A, they've taken solution B, there's little, if anything to implicate the size of DVD9 as a restriction for PGR4 as a particular case.

Workarounds, everyone uses em in one way or another!

Complaining about so called 'restrictions', whether it be power, storage capacity or anything is a pure show of lazy development and optimisation.

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
I still can't see why they simply can't put it on two dvds. Basically their answer was that it would put up production costs (By having two dvds) and would be harder to do for online but Blue Dragon had multiple dvds.

For whatever reason, there seems to be a stigma of doing this in any other genre except RPG's (and computer games of course).

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

It worked for Gran Turismo 2...

I don't see the big offence towards multi-disc games, they may be associated with RPG's and the like but there's no reason at all if absolutely nessecary for any kind of game to use more than one disc if the content and gameplay demands it.

If 9GB's of data isn't enough, 18GB's surely would be and would still be more cost-effective than BR or HD-DVD.

Heres my ruling on multiple disc. Linear RPG,FPS, action adventures and Staregy should have no problems with multiple disc but fighters, sports, racing and mission based games will have issues. For example disc 1 on the fighting game u can selct 16 characters and 8 levels while disc 2 has 16 characters and 8 levels.

Multiple discs = double the cost.

mM
Around the Network

people should actually read the article, the size isn't limiting the game, they just had to program it in a different way. If it were blu-ray they were going to repeat the textures many times and that's why it was suppose to take up so much space.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

johnsobas said:
people should actually read the article, the size isn't limiting the game, they just had to program it in a different way. If it were blu-ray they were going to repeat the textures many times and that's why it was suppose to take up so much space.

They are going to find a way to compress it, this would hurt textures for sure, you dont need to compress anything on a BD.

mM
MrMarc said:
Erm the title of this is misleading, and I get the impression not alot of you actually bothered to read the comments on the page.

They stated how they created a workaround for recreating the environments in different lighting situations. Rather than taking solution A, they've taken solution B, there's little, if anything to implicate the size of DVD9 as a restriction for PGR4 as a particular case.

Workarounds, everyone uses em in one way or another!

Complaining about so called 'restrictions', whether it be power, storage capacity or anything is a pure show of lazy development and optimisation.

From my understanding of the article they didn't create a work around. What they said was that they wanted to render all tracks in both night and day settings but they didn't have enough space to fit the textures so they limited each track to ether night or day. They have dynamic lighting effects to represent different weather patterns, that is all. DVD9 has limited thier original plan for the game.

To people proposing a multiple disk system coudld you say how it would work with a game like PGR? 

I would also like to say to that unless you are involved in the game dev industry then you have no right to call someone lazy becuase they happen to have a view that disagrees with yours.

leo-j said:
johnsobas said:

They are going to find a way to compress it, this would hurt textures for sure, you dont need to compress anything on a BD.

no, again you didn't even read the article, read the post above me.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

leo-j said:
Multiple discs = double the cost.

Oh, I guess the game will have to cost $120 instead of $60 then.  Gimme a break, I think they could stomach a few extra pennies per game if they had to.

I'm also surprised that they refer to real-time lighting as a "workaround."  Baked-in lightmaps have been around since the original Quake.