By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DVD size limiting Project Gotham Racing 4

Imagein changeing disks half way through a race...lol that would be bad.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

Around the Network
leo-j said:

They are going to find a way to compress it, this would hurt textures for sure, you dont need to compress anything on a BD.

There are such things as lossless compression image formats, like PNG.  Storing all your textures as raw, uncompressed BMPs or TGAs just increases your load times, even on Blu-ray.

mitsuhide said:
Would it be like this?

*disclaimor* This is just poking fun at what the quoted user said.

MrMarc said:

It worked for Gran Turismo 2...

I don't see the big offence towards multi-disc games, they may be associated with RPG's and the like but there's no reason at all if absolutely nessecary for any kind of game to use more than one disc if the content and gameplay demands it.

If 9GB's of data isn't enough, 18GB's surely would be and would still be more cost-effective than BR or HD-DVD.

It wouldn't really work for racing games. I mean you'd have champoinships etc, that'd be made up of many tracks, and it would definately be a pain if you had to switch disks halfway through. Like CameronHall1 said, it only works well with linear-ish games.

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk

Can we stop the discussion, they used dynamic lighting so they didn't need to duplicate textures for day and night, they didn't take anything out or compress anything further than they already did. Enough of this multiple disk stuff, it's not going to be on multiple disks.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network
IllegalPaladin said:
mitsuhide said:
Would it be like this?

*disclaimor* This is just poking fun at what the quoted user said.

rotfl XD

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk

Entroper said:
leo-j said:
Multiple discs = double the cost.

Oh, I guess the game will have to cost $120 instead of $60 then.  Gimme a break, I think they could stomach a few extra pennies per game if they had to.

I'm also surprised that they refer to real-time lighting as a "workaround."  Baked-in lightmaps have been around since the original Quake.

No lol, double the cost for developers to put it on the disc hehehe, but it wont cost you $59.99 probably $69.99 or even more.

mM

multiple disks are fine with RPG games cause you only change the disk maybe 1 time over the entire game. but for a racing game that would be nutz as its not story driven and i could see a person having to switch the disk for specific settings and types of races. that is just dumb

LOL...

"You won’t see different times of day per city because this involves recreating all the textures again (one for day and one for night). Whilst this wasn’t a problem for our dev team, it was a problem fitting all this data onto a single DVD. So we’ve worked around the problem by providing different lighting models per city. For example, Macau is always in the daytime, but if you play it during a storm everything looks darker and more foreboding. If you play during a blizzard then things are slightly tinged blue and everything seems more frozen. Of course, playing this track in sunshine will make everything appear bright and yellowy"

Lazy programming. You don't need to recreate entire texture sets to support TIME OF DAY!

(there are lots of ways to handle this on the fly - and it makes it much more interesting, as the time could change - if you wanted to - while you were driving on the level).

That is now officially the lamest reason I have ever heard for "running out of disc space". 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

leo-j said:
Entroper said:
leo-j said:
Multiple discs = double the cost.

Oh, I guess the game will have to cost $120 instead of $60 then. Gimme a break, I think they could stomach a few extra pennies per game if they had to.

I'm also surprised that they refer to real-time lighting as a "workaround." Baked-in lightmaps have been around since the original Quake.

No lol, double the cost for developers to put it on the disc hehehe, but it wont cost you $59.99 probably $69.99 or even more.

One DVD9 costs about 15 cents to manufacture. So it would still just cost $60, even with multiple discs..

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs