By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How well will Gran Turismo 5 do?

lmfao, i cant believe some haters think it will only do 3 million. stop trying to hide the fact you hate playstation3 and cant take the fact that is has one of THE biggest selling franchises! GT5 will be massive! the only game on xbox that will compete with that is of course the xbox's monster, HALO.

Around the Network
Sullla said:

- GT5 will release vastly later in the PS3's lifecycle. GT3 was one of the earliest PS2 titles, and benefited a lot from having little competition. It was one of those games that people bought to showcase their shiny new system; look at Motorstorm 1 sales for a good example. Coming out early also gave this game a very, very long time to sell - something that GT5 won't have going for it.

- GT3's early release meant it hit "Greatest Hits" status and bargin bin cheap price midway through the PS2's lifecycle, helping it squeeze out several million more sales. Sony won't be able to do the same thing with GT5, as it won't be releasing until holiday 2009 (in the most optimistic scenario) and the astronomical development costs won't be able to justified a reduced price for a very long time. This will depress sales long term, although it won't do anything to stop huge week 1 numbers.

That's 2 very good points I forgot about in my prediction. That means I probably overshot it a bit, to a 9-11M sounds more reasonable than 11-13M when thinking about it.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
lmfao, i cant believe some haters think it will only do 3 million. stop trying to hide the fact you hate playstation3 and cant take the fact that is has one of THE biggest selling franchises! GT5 will be massive! the only game on xbox that will compete with that is of course the xbox's monster, HALO.

Perhaps Gears of War 2 will be capable of touching it, as well.

GT has been losing sales with each iteration, yet if they get damage in instead if time penalties i think this will start shifting around a 50% attach rate. Very high i know but speaking to people and i think you all (those that have played any of the 4 GT games) feel the same, chuck in damage and this turns into a must have.

assumption is the mother of all f**k ups 

joshin69 said:
GT has been losing sales with each iteration, yet if they get damage in instead if time penalties i think this will start shifting around a 50% attach rate. Very high i know but speaking to people and i think you all (those that have played any of the 4 GT games) feel the same, chuck in damage and this turns into a must have.

1. GT has not been losing sales with each iteration, it peaked at GT3, since that there has been 1 main series, and 1 prologue. No matter how you count it, it has only been losing sales with 1 iteration.

2. A 50% AR is close to impossible. No game that hasn't been officially bundled has beaten 33%, other than Halo 2 and SM64 (at the end of their selling lives)   

Around the Network

I'll say around 7-8 million copies.

Im thinking 6-7M.

GT3 was the first AAA must have title for the PS2. That will not be the case with GT5.

GT3 had no competition on the PS2 or other consoles. GT5 will have Forza 2 (probably Forza 3 is waiting to be released as well) on the 360. Forza 1 was considered superior to GT4. Forza 3 will be very comparable and on a console that has a larger install base.

GT5 will not create a big rush of new PS3's being sold. Around 30 million PS3s will have been sold by the time GT5 releases. Much of the GT5 sales will come from this group of PS3 owners.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Oyvoyvoyv said:
joshin69 said:

1. GT has not been losing sales with each iteration, it peaked at GT3, since that there has been 1 main series, and 1 prologue. No matter how you count it, it has only been losing sales with 1 iteration.

2. A 50% AR is close to impossible. No game that hasn't been officially bundled has beaten 33%, other than Halo 2 and SM64 (at the end of their selling lives)   

OK, i should have said each iteration on each machine. GT was around 10.5 mill, GT2 around 9.2. GT3 around 15 and GT4 around 10.6. Yes 50% is silly high and i have forgotten to factor in those who purchased the PS3 for a BDD player. I do believe if there is damage the attach rate will be uncommonly high though.

assumption is the mother of all f**k ups 

Undying said:
Maybe 3 million LTD.

hahahaahahahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. Are you serious=? want to bet on that?

joshin69 said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
joshin69 said:

OK, i should have said each iteration on each machine. GT was around 10.5 mill, GT2 around 9.2. GT3 around 15 and GT4 around 10.6. Yes 50% is silly high and i have forgotten to factor in those who purchased the PS3 for a BDD player. I do believe if there is damage the attach rate will be uncommonly high though.

Yeah, it will be incredibly high. For highest attach rate, you can probably say something like this.

Everything on Wii, but the Wii series is discounted, as it looks like it will get at least an userbase of 100M, and nothing but Wii Sports/Play and possibly fit will pass 30M (maybe not even 20M).

X360 and Ps3 will end pretty equal.

So the best selling Ps3 or X360 game is likely to be the one with the highest AR this gen.

As this gen is the one with the highest AR, it may be one of the highest ever.