By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Bioshock Gets a perfect 10/10 from OXM Magazine UK

http://digg.com/xbox_360/Bioshock_Gets_a_perfect_10_10_from_OXM_Magazine_UK

Around the Network

@ckmlb - It's like System Shock 2. It is a shooter at its heart, but it also has a lot more of "something else." Some try to say it's an adventure element, but that's only part of what the difference actually is. It involves stats and abilities and RPG-ish upgrading/customizing. The element fits the shooter gameplay well, but it slows the game down a bit, gives you the option of being strategic and preparing yourself. Of course you can just go in shooting the whole time too, but you'll get raped. Its a thinking-man's shooter, and there isn't much else like it out there aside from Deus Ex and System Shock titles.

To sum up, it has pseudo-adventure elements (but mostly RPG elements), but at its core its a shooter. That is, the combat takes place at quick speeds, and you have plenty of weaponry at your disposal. But to simply classify it as a shooter is to mask the fact that it really plays in a new genre all its own.

"Whenever you find a man who says he doesn't believe in a real Right and Wrong, you will find the same man going back on this a moment later."   -C.S. Lewis

"We all make choices... but in the end, our choices... make us."   -Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Prediction: Wii passes 360 in US between July - September 2008. (Wii supply will be the issue to watch, and barring any freak incidents between now and then as well.) - 6/5/08; Wow, came true even earlier. Wii is a monster.

ckmlb said:
I think some people are misinformed slightly. This game is a shooter, it's not an adventure game. It does have a few RPG elements, but the developers said already, this is a shooter first and foremost.

Also, they are going to have multiplayer in the sequel if they make one at least that's what the developer implied in an interview.

You cannot compare Oblivion with this. This is a shooter, average shooter fans want multiplayer, Oblivion is infinitely long, this is a 15-20 hour experience and all single player. I still think this will sell ok, but not great.

I hope I'm wrong because this looks to be better than Halo 3 in my eyes unless the Halo 3 story really surprises me.

PS. The Halo-tards will not buy a 2nd game, they will buy Halo and play it for the rest of the year. The problem is that Halo is infinitely replayable, just see how many people are still playing Halo 2...

Bioshock: First-person shooter, Adventure, Action RPG, Survival horror according to the Wikipedia listing.  It has as many elements of the other genres as it has of the FPS genre (perhaps more).  Believe me I know what this game is, I have been following it like a stalker.  You're right, it's nothing like Oblivion, but it does share a lot of elements with Metroid Prime, specifically the thing that really defines prime: An interesting plot that must be discovered by the player, rather than shoved in their face for them.  In other words, if you really want to know the intricacies of the plot you will have to find them out for yourself through exploration.

@naznatips - For me, the thing that defines Prime (and the Metroid series as a whole) is the flow of item/upgrade discovery, and the sense of exploration. But the story is integrated with that exploration, and is definitely a crucial part of the experience.

"Whenever you find a man who says he doesn't believe in a real Right and Wrong, you will find the same man going back on this a moment later."   -C.S. Lewis

"We all make choices... but in the end, our choices... make us."   -Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Prediction: Wii passes 360 in US between July - September 2008. (Wii supply will be the issue to watch, and barring any freak incidents between now and then as well.) - 6/5/08; Wow, came true even earlier. Wii is a monster.

I think the "Only on Xbox" logo missing is due to it being released on PC simultaneously. LP and GoW, as stated earlier, were timed releases on PC and were truly exclusives for six months or longer.

Even games like the original SC had "Only for Xbox" on them initially and they ended up going to other consoles in the future, after which the "Only for Xbox" tag was removed from the packaging.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
ckmlb said:
IllegalPaladin said:
Does anybody know if there is a demo of it coming (or already out) for PC?

Some of the gameplay videos haven't looked that interesting for me. The game looks good, but I haven't really been pulled into the game yet enough to really be excited for it.

Watch this video, you'll thank me later :) (watch all of it, it's worth it)

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/6353

If you like single player shooters, this is like the second coming.

Personally, I am more interested in the single player of a shooter 90% of the time and this is no exception. I am happy they didn't add on a crappy multiplayer mode like the Darkness guys did just so they can say they have multiplayer...

Did you enjoy the single player on Halo 1 and 2?  I know an awful lot of folks like them for online but I'm like you -- not interested in online -- just local single player or local co-op.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Crap, this topic has been Dugg, thus killing the site. Nice job whoever did it >_

Man, I want this game for my PC so badly, there hasnt been a lot of big FPS latelly.

off-topic: is it bad if I hear the beating of my heart... inside my ears? >_>

kn said:
ckmlb said:
IllegalPaladin said:
Does anybody know if there is a demo of it coming (or already out) for PC?

Some of the gameplay videos haven't looked that interesting for me. The game looks good, but I haven't really been pulled into the game yet enough to really be excited for it.

Watch this video, you'll thank me later :) (watch all of it, it's worth it)

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/6353

If you like single player shooters, this is like the second coming.

Personally, I am more interested in the single player of a shooter 90% of the time and this is no exception. I am happy they didn't add on a crappy multiplayer mode like the Darkness guys did just so they can say they have multiplayer...

Did you enjoy the single player on Halo 1 and 2? I know an awful lot of folks like them for online but I'm like you -- not interested in online -- just local single player or local co-op.

No, once Halo 1 and 2 lost their awe, they became boring.

While I do like online games (Battlefield 2 and Counter-Strike can be a blast), maybe it's the style or something, but Bioshock just hasn't pulled me in yet. Again, I'm not going to write off the game at least till I can actually play it for myself.  

I've been waiting for this game since E3 last year. It sounded a little silly to me when I first read about it, but after seeing some of the trailers and walkthroughs, it became a must buy for me. (The trailer from Bringing it Home last year is probably my 2nd all time favorite game trailer, right behind GOW with the Mad World song).

I agree though that this game will probably not be as big a seller as the other big games dropping on the 360 this fall, even if it is the best, but I hope I'm wrong and it does great b/c it looks like it will be amazing. Hopefully the price drop kicks in right before this game launches, and it helps to spur sales of the game and console.

Currently Playing:  Saints Row 2 | Battlefield 2 | Company of Heroes

Recently Beaten: Gears of War | Super Mario Galaxy | Darwinia | MGS4 | Sam and Max Ep. 4, Portal | Mirror's Edge | Uncharted | Mass Effect

Looking Forward to: Alan Wake | Splinter Cell : Conviction | The Last Guardian | Batman: Arkham Asylum | SMG2 | Mass Effect 2 |