By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WOAH at IGN hands on of Sonic Unleashed

@Noname: Admittedly, i put my words in a bad way.
Of course it takes more more money to put out a game on either HD console and even more, when you're putting the game on both. But what i read from the quote in question is, that the Wii version seems to be the more finalized one. Instead of polishing the HD versions, the Wii version has had the love (which hasn't really been the case so far).

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network
Jedah Dohma said:
From what I seen the night stages look decent in this game, but the day time stages look pretty bad. I was thinking of not getting Chrono Trigger and buying this instead.... I will have to see.

I'm thinking exactly the opposite. The day-time levels remind me of what if felt like to watch someone good play the original Sonic for the first time. "That is so fast he must not be doing anything!" Then I played it and understood. If this is the same it could be really good.

"You can never jump away from Conclusions. Getting back is not so easy. That's why we're so terribly crowded here."

Canby - The Phantom Tollbooth

bdbdbd said:
@Noname: Admittedly, i put my words in a bad way.
Of course it takes more more money to put out a game on either HD console and even more, when you're putting the game on both. But what i read from the quote in question is, that the Wii version seems to be the more finalized one. Instead of polishing the HD versions, the Wii version has had the love (which hasn't really been the case so far).

I see what you're saying, but I don't think it's correct. Again, I'm going partly on the quotations provided (and partly on scuttlebutt from the internet), but I think Sega actually put more time and effort, not just money, into the HD versions. For instance, this author says:

"the company spent most of its time focusing on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions"

and

"maybe the company should have been focusing on the Wii version instead?"

(Sorry for the italicizations: it won't let me remove them).

Granted that the Wii version seems to be the best, but I'm getting the impression that's either more of a happy accident, or that the ironing out process on that version was left to DiMPs instead. We know DiMPs designed the daytime levels for the Wii version: perhaps they did more for it as well? I don't know. But I've had the impression that the HD version is the one that Sega's focused on, and this article does not dissuade me.

axumblade said:
noname2200 said:

Except that judging by the article, Sega did focus on the HD consoles...

Mind you, since it's Sonic Team that's developing those, that may work out best for Wii/PS2 owners. It sounds like that's the case.

Sonic Team did the Wii version? I think I made up my mind what system I want it for. :p

Nah, the way it's supposed to work is that Sonic Team is developing the game for all platforms. However, for the Wii and PS2 versions, the daytime levels are being designed by DiMPs (the guys who made Sonic Rush). Personally, I supsect DiMPs is doing more than just level design, and rumors have abounded from the start that they're the primary developer for those versions, but that's just hearsay at this point. Officially, Sonic Team is doing the lot.

The problem is the person writing that article didn't read the write up of the HD versions most recent play test. He thinks that the wii version will be the definitive version based on the flaws of the HD versions that have now been apparently fixed. The write up's of the HD versions said that the speedy day time portions ran smooth and were alot of fun.

It's good to know that the wii version is turning out well, but the HD versions are no longer the flawed mess that he's alluding too and actually got fairly favorable write ups in their most recent play tests of them. And the thing that they complained about (the were hog portions) are in the wii version too.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network

@Noname: Time+effort=money. I think you get my point if the HD versions were done with the same budget. HD game would be only halfway done, when Wii version would've been finished, relatively with the same visual quality.
Why didn't Sega move staff from the Wii project to the HD project, to polish the HD version?
If Sega wouldn't have "focused" into the HD version (had made the game with the same sized staff), the Wii version would have finished in half of the time of the HD version. Considering that the author states the Wii version being more polished, i don't think he understands himself what the focusing is. If a developer has two projects, the one it focuses in reality, isn't the one of the two that is less polished in the end/late builds.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Honestly SEGA suck at making games on the PS3 or 360, only Valkyria Chronicles came out right, but besides that, most games look like utter $hit on the ps3 and 360.

mM

Cool I might actually buy this on wii

I love old school 2D sonic..

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Did anybody even read my post?

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

@vagabond

sorry for not reading it

.....you just changed my mind now....lol

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey