By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - why take away online play for the Wii???

The_vagabond7 said:
Essentially because Nintendo did an absolutely god awful job with their online strategy. They didn't view it as pertinent and didn't make online gaming a priority. Xbox live, and PSN are both vastly superior online constructs that are easy for developers to take advantage of. The wii has nothing comparable.

Yes and no... the potential for the Wii to have a superior online presence does exist.  Even simple games like Wii Bowling would be loads of fun playing against friends and strangers remotely.  The Wii has that interactivity that the other two consoles will never have, and it's a shame Nintendo didn't have the foresight to drive a nail in the coffin with a superior online service (or at least a competitive one).

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

Around the Network

yeah i think there are some people who bleieve u need FC to play online. i use online all the time but ive never used FC

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

when did this all happen?

Dude GH3 and GH:WT both have online play and WT has DLC that saves directly to your SD card...

Quantum of Solace has 4 player online and tries to be a bit like Golden Eye without the gold more like silver and then someone poked the eye out... Silver no eye is more like it...

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

If Ninty really is serious about online why Wii dont have a hard drive, or why the Wii have a different online setup unlike PSN and xbox live? Nintendo internet service are for wiiware, virtual console, opera browser, nintendo channels, updates and Mario Kart Wii. Its not intented for online gaming. Even SSBB online mode sucks and why is that? Because they dont want the Wii to be like PC. Its what Ninty is afraid of what you like if the only games you only play are only few? And 3rd parties only doing itterations of their same game over and over again like Street Fighter II? Thats whats happening in HD consoles right now thats why the PS3 and 360 only have few million sellers right now...

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Around the Network

Exactly, and besides, if I want to play online on one of my online games, i just hit search or whatever and boom, im already playing.

DO NOT READ THIS TEXT.

from all the constant wii adverts its all about the family getting together and playing multiplayer in the same room.

i think the wii core audience aren't the gamers who play online, but rather play with a gathering of friends or family.

Owner of PS3, Wii, Xbox360, NDS, PSP - Feel Free to add me on PSN or XBL :)

RolStoppable said:
bardicverse said:
@OP I think you mean Rock Band 2, not GH, right? If you prefer conspiracy theories, MTV has a part in Rock Band games, and thus more allegiance to Sony, due to the large control they have on the music industry.

But overall, Vagabond is right. Nintendo doesn't take much consideration into how much their decisions affect american gamers, which are heavily online based gamers. They are trying too hard to protect such a small audience of people from the "evil internet" with the friend codes. I want to log into a game lobby, find someone to play against and get into the game. I dont want to have to add contacts like an IM program. Hell, I don't even know what my Wii friend code is. I haven't bothered.

You can easily play online against others in Mario Kart Wii without having to add any codes. You go online, select if you want to play regional (your continent) or global. Within a few seconds you should get directed into an open game, you watch the end of their current race and join them in their next one. That's it.

The Wii friend code isn't required for any online play, it's there to send messages and gift VC games to other Wiis.

Ah right, yeah I rememeber that with MK DS. I havent played MK Wii, but I recall animal crossing requiring FC's to get into another person's land. I stand corrected.

does someone have a source for this? It seems really odd for Ninty to take away online......
Will mkstill be online?

Mr_Tee_ said:
from all the constant wii adverts its all about the family getting together and playing multiplayer in the same room.

i think the wii core audience aren't the gamers who play online, but rather play with a gathering of friends or family.

Well, the splitscreen is good and fun.

I like the wii online anyway, simple, quick, good rating system, free. And that's only for first party titles.

And not every core gamer wants or needs XBL, or PSN, they just want to play and get going.

Some core gamers do love XBL, and it is good, dont get me wrong, but it depends on who you are, whether you like one thing or not, so there really is no "best or better" online system.

DO NOT READ THIS TEXT.