By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - why take away online play for the Wii???

samthespark said:
Mr_Tee_ said:
from all the constant wii adverts its all about the family getting together and playing multiplayer in the same room.

i think the wii core audience aren't the gamers who play online, but rather play with a gathering of friends or family.

Well, the splitscreen is good and fun.

I like the wii online anyway, simple, quick, good rating system, free. And that's only for first party titles.

And not every core gamer wants or needs XBL, or PSN, they just want to play and get going.

Some core gamers do love XBL, and it is good, dont get me wrong, but it depends on who you are, whether you like one thing or not, so there really is no "best or better" online system.

this pretty much sums it up as an answer to OP.

if u really want online gaming go with XBL or PSN. if u want family fun in the living room i.e kids/gran/parents/dog get a wii. wii is capable of online play, but nintendo concentrates on its local multiplayer i.e. splitscreen/wii sports etc, so it sacrifices its online play.

Owner of PS3, Wii, Xbox360, NDS, PSP - Feel Free to add me on PSN or XBL :)

Around the Network

Online gaming is the future, hopefully the Wii's successor will do a better. But I don't want a successor for a while yet.

www.tranmererovers.co.uk

Currently playing: Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks and Red Steel.

Wii Friend Codes:

Smash Bros Brawl- 5284 2865 3565

Mario Kart Wii- 0216 0932 4306

Mario Strikers Charged- 034471 707985

Send me a message if you have added me.

RolStoppable said:
Essentially because a lot of third parties still think that Wii owners are stupid and buy games regardless. Then their games don't sell well and instead of doing a better job next time, they say that Wii owners don't buy games, yet the attach rate of the Wii is higher than the PS3's.

While the Wii doesn't have an online network like Xbox Live or PSN, it's no valid excuse to not implement working online play in their games as Nintendo and a few third parties have proven. So yes, the reason why the Wii versions don't get some features are arrogant third parties who view Wii owners as second rate costumers.

Don`t waste your time my friend. It is not worth it. With Nintendo the funny thing is that they get it right without aiming for it. Mario Kart Wii has the potential to be most played game by the end of the generation. Even if we suppose only 30% of MKW players go online it would still be a bigger crowd than any other online game (I expect it to sell at least 20 million). It is a shame that the game is bundled (people bought it for the plastic wheel) and it is a casual dumbed down experience (people win by dumb luck alone).So, don`t expect anyone to recognize it as a real hardcore online experience.

Also, I expect Wiiware and VC will put the other services to shame. The re are a bunch of small and talented developers happy with the service (the guys who developed World of Goo, Lost Winds, Strong Bad).

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

SuperSteveyLes said:
Online gaming is the future, hopefully the Wii's successor will do a better. But I don't want a successor for a while yet.

It'll not be, if it is then the 360 and PS3 is selling millions by now, but the opposite happened. Its not really good for 3rd parties to develop games purely for online. It only make the games fewer and fewer...

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Uhm, excuse me?!

First of all, Guitar Hero 2 IS NOT ON THE WII. Both GH3 and WT are on Wii AND they had ONLINE!

Second, Call of duty 5 and Quantun of solace also had online play too!

What the heck are you talking about?

Online for wii is just fine. GET OVER IT. I have played Mario Kart wii online technically every night and I only had one conectivity issue since then. Brawl is different but I am not a big fan of brawl.

And the reason why the wii doesn't had a hard drive is because the point of the console was to make it cheap, accesible and power saving. After seeing my friends' xbox360 overheating and crashing after a few hours of playing I am glad that the wii doesn't had that problem.

And the reason why Nintendo doesn't do what Microsoft and Sony does is because Nintendo doesn't do what the losers do. Give them some credit.

Around the Network

Wii has online ???    hahahahahaha is that what they call it.   JOKE!

Bobbuffalo said:
Uhm, excuse me?!

First of all, Guitar Hero 2 IS NOT ON THE WII. Both GH3 and WT are on Wii AND they had ONLINE!

Online for wii is just fine. GET OVER IT. I have played Mario Kart wii online technically every night and I only had one conectivity issue since then. Brawl is different but I am not a big fan of brawl.

And the reason why the wii doesn't had a hard drive is because the point of the console was to make it cheap, accesible and power saving. After seeing my friends' xbox360 overheating and crashing after a few hours of playing I am glad that the wii doesn't had that problem.

And the reason why Nintendo doesn't do what Microsoft and Sony does is because Nintendo doesn't do what the losers do. Give them some credit.

LOL MK Wii played more with friends or with family than with online anyway. After a month of playing MK Wii I didnt play it again  because theres nothing to do once you unlock all the characters, cars/bikes and maps anyway. If Ninty somehow make it online competitve and added new and downloadable features with this game will gamers of the Wii will switch to another game when practically every week there are user content and 1st party content downloadable online?

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

I think that it is due to the fact that Nintendo wanted to make a good, cost effective system for the masses. I'm not saying it is wrong or it is right but every year you own a 360 and want to truely play it online the system costs $60 more. so a system that charged $400 for a console after the first year kicks you up to a $460 console. and after 5 years you end up paying $700 dollars for that same console. Nintendo kept it even $250 for the console no matter how many years you own it, however I do believe it hurts their online.

yushire said:
Bobbuffalo said:
Uhm, excuse me?!

LOL MK Wii played more with friends or with family than with online anyway. After a month of playing MK Wii I didnt play it again  because theres nothing to do once you unlock all the characters, cars/bikes and maps anyway. If Ninty somehow make it online competitve and added new and downloadable features with this game will gamers of the Wii will switch to another game when practically every week there are user content and 1st party content downloadable online?

Well that's a matter of taste. I know many people that still plays MKWii online since the day they bought it. I personally still play MK double dash since I bought it a year ago and I have a friend who still plays MK64 on his N64. Not everybody is to keen of DLC. Many-specially non-hardcore gamers, like myself-just want to play with others and have fun instead of filling the memory with unnecesary stuff. Besides the Tournaments are a way to add replay value.But again, is  a matter of taste.

Well Sega did call the Wii the "Worlds most expensive board game" so...uhm...yeah...