By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EGM September Issue Review Scores- Lair and Blue Dragon Disappoint

I am completely with shams on this one... I don't think Lair will sell very well, it will sell to the hardcore PS3 owners, which I suppose are a lot of them, but I don't think it will appeal to many, it's niched down by a few things... a lot of people will be on a 'try before buy' system and once they have seen it running and don't feel that it's the second coming of christ they won't buy it.

It sits with Ninja Gaiden Sigma for me...

Around the Network
shams said:
Nonquihote said:
Legend11 said:
So how will all this affect Lair sales? I don't think this game has any chance now of selling a million copies and very likely won't raise PS3 sales beyond what the price cut has.

Oh it will, its great grphics will out weight anything bad as far as the PS3/HDTV owners are concerned.

Kinda like Motorstorm, its graphics carried the game to nearly a million already.

Motorstorm was a launch title, and will almost certainly get better scores than LAIR will. LAIR also has no online component, so if people get annoyed with the single-player mode - its goodbye game.

Motorstorm also didn't really push hardware. It was a game to purchase if you HAD bought a PS3 - rather than a game to buy the PS3 to buy.

Finally - Motorstorm is effectively a "pack-in" title in Europe (many of the deals here in Australia for instance, give you a free copy of the game with the PS3 - for a few more $).

That (partially) explains why it has sold only 330k in the US, less than 100k in Japan - yet 570k in Europe. My old housemate bought it, and was very disappointed with it (I think he has now sold it).

Based on these figures, LAIR will be lucky to sell 500k worldwide. Lets wait for some more comprehensive reviews first anyway.

Not it the usa.

It sold well thats what matters.

Europe had a chocie of Resistance or Motorstorm.  Since Both were 1/2 in sales charts they both sold around 600k give or take.  Europe is not as fps crazy as USA so it very much explains Motorstorm selling better over there with less people buying the shooter as their first game.

Look at Forza sales, even with half the user base of USa the sales breakdown is 53% USa and Europe 47%

Finally whats to stop Lair from being a pack in title, nothing really. 

Eh, except for the AI making the late races difficult, Motorstom is fun. While none of my friends like to really play it because they suck at it (you have to get used to how everything handles), they love watching me play it and really enjoy the crashes and such.

The game is a nice display for having some 5.1 surround sound.

I will enjoy dredging up this thread in a few weeks when the game is launched and flops like horny guy watching the crying game.

Being that this discussion has turned to sales, without considering  quality Lair has a lot of problems which will prevent the kind of sales some people expect.

1. Not a popular genre. As much as people will argue this one, flight simulators rarely ever break 1 million units sold and almost none pass that mark without the Starwars licence or cool planes. By going with Dragons Factor 5 may end up targeting gamers who normally don't play flight simulators but may also lose gamers who normally play flight simulators.
  2. New IP. There are countless properties that they could have licenced (Dragon Lance, Dungeons and Dragons, etc.) that would have given them a built in audience. By going with a new IP they have an uphill battle in making customers familiar with the title.
  3. Unique on the console. As much as being a unique game on a console can be a strength (everyone who wants that kind of game on that console will buy it) it also acts as a weakness because fans of a genre or topic may probably not own the system.
  4. Released on unpopular platform. Simply a numbers game, if the PS3 had four times the userbase and/or was selling 4 times as many units in a given timeframe games would sell better. It is simply a numbers game as there will always be a certain ratio of buyers who become interested in a game through reasonably random channels; the more people who own a console or are buying a console will increase your sales.

Around the Network
OriGin said:
I will enjoy dredging up this thread in a few weeks when the game is launched and flops like horny guy watching the crying game.

NO NO NO NO!

Haven't you been reading the posts for the last year? LAIR IS WONDERFUL! As of 2007 the list of human achievements ranks squarely as:

1. Written and verbal communication.
  2. Formation of societal groupings.
  3. Harnessing fire.
  4. Invention of agriculture.
  5. Release of Lair for the PS3.
  6. Invention of stone tools.
  7. The push up bra.
  8. The wheel.
  9. Antibiotics.
  10. Sliced bread. 

Next thing you'll say is that Heavenly Sword isn't the most miraculous thing since the '69 Mets.

Ha! Just noticed - it got worse reviews than Turning Left 2008.

Why did you quote me Dolla Dolla???

You made me laugh ... is that ok?