By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EGM September Issue Review Scores- Lair and Blue Dragon Disappoint

This isn't going to impact Lair sales. 10 bad reviews will not impact Lair sales. People will buy it for the graphics. Simple as that.

Back in my day, there weren't many reviews for games. How things have changed.

Play Sega Saturn!!!

My Music Video

My History

Around the Network

@sieanr,

yes no Lair at the E3 sony conference..I noted it too.

about score review :
I expect others reviewer to pu better note (IGN preview...)
Overall, I dont think it will affect a lot the sales since PS3 players dont have a lot of recent game to play and Lair will be released alone in august (except sportgame, there is nothing special supposed to be released on the PS3 in august ?).

Time to Work !

Legend11 said:
So how will all this affect Lair sales?  I don't think this game has any chance now of selling a million copies and very likely won't raise PS3 sales beyond what the price cut has.

It won't, really, but I never expected Lair to be a huge hit anyway. It won't break a million LT.

Nonquihote said:
sieanr said:
Yeah guys, a preview is always an accurate portrayl of a game. They would never paint a game in a positive light regardless of merit - especially IGN. Did you ever wonder why Sony didnt hype lair at e3? Or why they haven't been having a marketing push for a game a few weeks away? Too bad washimule will not see how Lair = Megaflop

Your thinking is a mega flop.

I saw Lair adds in mags two months ago, Tv adds will come the week of release. Since when do reviews impact sales so much? Look how well crap like mario party is selling. (IGN gave it 5.2)

If you had been around when washimule was here you would know his love of the word megaflop, as well as his fondness of Lair. Maybe I was using his choice phrase mockingly. The ad campaign for Lair has been a joke for a title of its budget and supposed calibur. It may move nubers close to motorstorm and sigma. But since this genre of game isn't as popular as racing or action, and given the Triples install base, I'd say it does sales very similar to RS2 on the GC. Furthermore this isnt a casual title, and the sort of people who will buy it are much more likely to read reviews, especially those from a magazine. Plus its a new ip, so it has that working against it as well. All in all, I'll buy it used eventually. RE Mario Party: Thats Apples and Oranges, but really no different than the shovelware on the PS double.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

The only reason Mario gets low reviews is because it has not changed since the original. However, Mario Party 8 is just as good as Mario Party , which got a 79 on metacritic.

It just suffers from Sequelitis. That has never stopped Madden (Or any EA Sports game) from selling either.

Play Sega Saturn!!!

My Music Video

My History

Around the Network
Hyperion said:
There's nothing to worry about, I hope.
I know this isn't the same but Paper Mario 2 received a 6 or so from EGM. People were freaking out, too. But it turned out that EGM was one of the very few magazines or sites that disliked the game or thought it was average.

It'll probably get better reviews in the upcoming weeks. You guys are overreacting.

Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door got a 9.0 from EGM, which is nothing short of incredible as they are very strict reviewers, especially on RPGs.  No, I have a lot more faith in EGM than most reviewers.  What I find hilarious though is the people using the Play Magazine interview to show this isn't unanimous.... Play Magazine also gave Sonic the Hedgehog a 9, it's average score was a 43% on Gamerankings (a 4.3).  If anyone can find a spec of credibility left in Play Magazine please tell me, but so far I only see 2 reasonable media outlet reviews.  A 5.5 from EGM and a 7.5 from Gamepro.  Obviously we really need some more information but this certainly is not a system saver for the PS3, a tripple A title, or Game of the Year.

Legend11 said:
So how will all this affect Lair sales? I don't think this game has any chance now of selling a million copies and very likely won't raise PS3 sales beyond what the price cut has.

Oh it will, its great grphics will out weight anything bad as far as the PS3/HDTV owners are concerned.

Kinda like Motorstorm, its graphics carried the game to nearly a million already.

sieanr said:
Nonquihote said:
sieanr said:
Yeah guys, a preview is always an accurate portrayl of a game. They would never paint a game in a positive light regardless of merit - especially IGN. Did you ever wonder why Sony didnt hype lair at e3? Or why they haven't been having a marketing push for a game a few weeks away? Too bad washimule will not see how Lair = Megaflop

I saw Lair adds in mags two months ago, Tv adds will come the week of release. Since when do reviews impact sales so much? Look how well crap like mario party is selling. (IGN gave it 5.2)

If you had been around when washimule was here you would know his love of the word megaflop, as well as his fondness of Lair. Maybe I was using his choice phrase mockingly. The ad campaign for Lair has been a joke for a title of its budget and supposed calibur. It may move nubers close to motorstorm and sigma. But since this genre of game isn't as popular as racing or action, and given the Triples install base, I'd say it does sales very similar to RS2 on the GC. Furthermore this isnt a casual title, and the sort of people who will buy it are much more likely to read reviews, especially those from a magazine. Plus its a new ip, so it has that working against it as well. All in all, I'll buy it used eventually. RE Mario Party: Thats Apples and Oranges, but really no different than the shovelware on the PS double.

Motorstorm is 20k from Selling a million, would a million be bad for Lair ? 

Not a caual title, the 4 million Ps3 owners are NOt causal gamers not a chance in hell. 

Lair is the first new fresh Ip in months, people will eat it up like crazy.  While i don't think its gonna have a long sales life like Resistance.  It will do very well right away and then drop fast.

Nonquihote said:
Legend11 said:
So how will all this affect Lair sales? I don't think this game has any chance now of selling a million copies and very likely won't raise PS3 sales beyond what the price cut has.

Oh it will, its great grphics will out weight anything bad as far as the PS3/HDTV owners are concerned.

Kinda like Motorstorm, its graphics carried the game to nearly a million already.

Motorstorm was a launch title, and will almost certainly get better scores than LAIR will. LAIR also has no online component, so if people get annoyed with the single-player mode - its goodbye game.

Motorstorm also didn't really push hardware. It was a game to purchase if you HAD bought a PS3 - rather than a game to buy the PS3 to buy.

Finally - Motorstorm is effectively a "pack-in" title in Europe (many of the deals here in Australia for instance, give you a free copy of the game with the PS3 - for a few more $).

That (partially) explains why it has sold only 330k in the US, less than 100k in Japan - yet 570k in Europe. My old housemate bought it, and was very disappointed with it (I think he has now sold it).

Based on these figures, LAIR will be lucky to sell 500k worldwide. Lets wait for some more comprehensive reviews first anyway.  

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Nonquihote said:
sieanr said:
Nonquihote said:
sieanr said:

Motorstorm is 20k from Selling a million, would a million be bad for Lair ? 

Not a caual title, the 4 million Ps3 owners are NOt causal gamers not a chance in hell. 

Lair is the first new fresh Ip in months, people will eat it up like crazy.  While i don't think its gonna have a long sales life like Resistance.  It will do very well right away and then drop fast.

WTF? I said it could sell like MS, as in a best case scenario, althouth I don't expect it to do that well. However, I never said it would sell poorly. Then again, I measure a games sucess by its quality, not its sales - hence the term megaflop for a game that was supposed to be the second comming. No shit that the Triples user base is devoid of casuals. Why do you think I mentioned that "hardcore" gamers are more decerning when it comes to their purchases? Thats something that wouldnt be relevant if it was mostly casuals. Yeah, most original games are runnaway hits, especially when they get mediocre reviews. Oh wait.... Not to mention Lair is going to be released the same day as madden. Do you really think people will "eat up" lair instead of the newest release in one of the best selling franchises in videogames? Speaking of which, does madden remind you of mario party as much as it does to me? Just for fun, I'll make myself perfectly clear. Lair will sell ok, but fall short of most fanboy dreams - both in sales and actual quality.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away"