By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Left 4 Dead Public Demo Comes Out Today on 360 and PC!

Ah...well...sorry folks. It'll be up today though. I'll update the thread when it's live I guess.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

Why would Valve cut the demo for a game they're trying to market?

Maybe there is a more than a hint of truth about demos stealing sales. Or maybe they'll just leave the single player mode open to showcase the title without giving away the real substance of the game, which is the multi-player team mode. Although they're still giving that away with Zombie Panic!, just without the plot and characters.

Not sure I agree with that entirely since I pre-ordered the game through Steam after playing it, even though the demo didn't exactly scream "best FPS of the 2008 holiday season." Just very solid technically, and very fun to play, which is really all that a game needs to hit the mark.

Either way, the demo's been working since the 6th. The only demo I can't get to play on Steam is Tomb Raider Underworld for some reason.

@greenmedic - Pre-orderers got the demo early. All us bums have to wait 'till today.

Ah. See, I don't fully agree with that policy either (the "exclusive demo" for buying before trying). Sort of putting the cart before the horse.

Are you sure? I could have sworn I downloaded the demo first and then paid for the game.

Either way, I'm still pretty much of the belief that demos are straight marketing material; I don't see the point in the "sneak preview" approach unless Valve is really dedicated to rewarding their supporters who buy their stuff without even trying it first.

Wait so the public demo is today? What was the one that came out last week (that I looked for on the 360 market place and wasn't available)? Was that a top secret demo or what?

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Around the Network

Apparently yes; it was some sort of super-duper double secret probation demo only visible/available to select users.

I thought it was an open demo. And on XBL, open to "gold members" last week.

Steam's price for this game is so much more than Amazon.co.uk's...

£33.86 from Steam

£19.99 from Amazon...

The demo doesn't install for me either, just refreshes the page.

just tried, doesn't work

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

BenKenobi88 said:

Today's the day!  I've been playing the L4D demo since Thursday, and it is such an awesome game.

Here's the Steam link, the demo should be up now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/530/

Some impressions:

It looks GREAT.  I don't understand naysayers of the Source engine...it runs smoother than TF2 but looks better than HL2: Ep2.  Shiny textures everywhere, flashlight effects are great, the models are high-quality, and it really does pack a lot of zombies onscreen at once.

They only give you the first map and half of the second map, which means there are 18 and a half more maps to play.  And yet I've been having tons of fun just on those 1.5 maps.  The zombies are always in different spots, you never know where a boss infected is going to be, and when a Tank or Witch shows up, it's always exciting you're screwed.

I could blab on, but there's not much more to say. 

Download the free demo today!  It ends on Nov. 18th when the full game comes out.  And you can still pre-purchase for $5 off.

Fixed!

And yeah, amazing game.  I have been staying away from the demo just because I don't want to risk it getting old but damn the game is so amazing.  I can't wait until the 18th.

That's the one bad thing about Steam; they rarely offer anything better than MSRP on new games. That's probably what keeps them so profitable in addition to eliminating traditional distro channels as a distributor of games.

Even Orange Box, a year old title, is typically available for less through retail than it is through Steam, which is funny in a non-humor kind of way.

In the US, Amazon is only offering the same 10% discount at $45.