By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Tales of Symphonia DotNW Review - 6.7 Im still buying it.=)

@outlawauron Yes, but why should somebody who obviously dislikes JRPGs give their opinion on a JRPG, to people who like JRPG's? That is why reviews should be just give people facts and let them decide. Yes they could at opinions if they want, but that isn't what I would be looking for if I read a review. I would want to know what the game is like and decide for myself. Also considering that this is a game that seems is targeting Tales fans a review should be written as if it was targeting one. And in a review the cons and pros should be exceptional to the game and not the genre. Like I said earlier, there are tons of Jrpgs with the issues he mentioned that have a score much higher than this, and are acclaimed more. So either A he is being biased against the console, or B He biased against Jrpgs as a whole, and hasn't played enough of the genre to know what is commonplace and what isn't. So I'm going to say B because I don't think he would be too bias toward the console. Now if the cons were exceptional then I would agree that it's score should be low yet almost all of those cons aren't, and are present in almost every Jrpg with few exceptions. And if that makes it a bad game in his opinion then he wouldn't like any Jrpg, and people who do would probably most likely enjoy this game. Those people would probably also think it deserves a higher review. That is why I say reviews shouldn't have opinions because different people like different things, and you can't get rid of biases. Also I beleive that people shouldn't look at a score[and yes it is the reviewer's opinion on what the score should be] and decide whether they should buy a game or not. They should read the review and see if the cons matter as much to them as they do to the reviewer, and if the pros matter more to them as they do to the reviewer, or the other way around before deciding if they want to purchase it or not.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
OK guys...can we all just agree that was was reviewed by a person who doesn't like the Tales series, so Tales fans, and people who are indifferent on buying the game, shouldn't really take this review too seriously, and wait for other reviews who are more open to the series?

Well did you get the game or not?

sc94597 said:
@outlawauron Yes, but why should somebody who obviously dislikes JRPGs give their opinion on a JRPG, to people who like JRPG's? That is why reviews should be just give people facts and let them decide. Yes they could at opinions if they want, but that isn't what I would be looking for if I read a review. I would want to know what the game is like and decide for myself. Also considering that this is a game that seems is targeting Tales fans a review should be written as if it was targeting one. And in a review the cons and pros should be exceptional to the game and not the genre. Like I said earlier, there are tons of Jrpgs with the issues he mentioned that have a score much higher than this, and are acclaimed more. So either A he is being biased against the console, or B He biased against Jrpgs as a whole, and hasn't played enough of the genre to know what is commonplace and what isn't. So I'm going to say B because I don't think he would be too bias toward the console. Now if the cons were exceptional then I would agree that it's score should be low yet almost all of those cons aren't, and are present in almost every Jrpg with few exceptions. And if that makes it a bad game in his opinion then he wouldn't like any Jrpg, and people who do would probably most likely enjoy this game. Those people would probably also think it deserves a higher review. That is why I say reviews shouldn't have opinions because different people like different things, and you can't get rid of biases. Also I beleive that people shouldn't look at a score[and yes it is the reviewer's opinion on what the score should be] and decide whether they should buy a game or not. They should read the review and see if the cons matter as much to them as they do to the reviewer, and if the pros matter more to them as they do to the reviewer, or the other way around before deciding if they want to purchase it or not.

I wouldn't say that he is biased against JRPGs. Not a fan =/= biased.

I'm not a fan of racing and puzzle games, but that doesn't mean I'd treat one unfairly.

And every JRPGs gets penalized for having cliches, random battles, having or not having an overworld map. I think the JRPG genre is the best around and they do (as a whole) have a much lower average review score. Tales of Vesperia and Lost Odyssey should be above a 90%, but they got punished for the same things as ToS 2. Sorry to be Devil's Advocate, but I hate the conspiracy theory that reviewers hate the Wii and purposely give it low scores just to spite.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Soriku said:
Riachu said:
Soriku said:

lol. Considering this guy doesn't even like RPGs, I'd like a new review, IGN.

Time to watch the GT review...

They say the game is passable but suffers from a poorly paced story, dated visuals, and they also complained that Emil was very angst ritten

Poorly paced story - They said the story develops similar to the first ToS. I thought the first ToS paced really well...so not a problem to me. It's a plus to me actually.  No, Tales of Symphonia's pace actually fluctuates a bit being fairly good in the beginning to slowly creeping toward the end.

Dated visuals - No problem to me. I don't play Tales for graphics (and I'm sure no one does).  Well, this is a bit redundant since it's on the Wii anyway.

Emil - Emil is supposed to be like that. The IGN review kept bashign Emil for being whiny...but that's what he's supposed to be! I really hate it when people bash things like that :3

Overall, I have no problem whatsoever.

Btw, the base music in ToS: DotNW is so awesome. Much better than ToS's base music for sure (the new base music is an awesome remix of the first one).

You know, it's not okay to say "It's okay that he's whiny because he's supposed to be."  It's like saying "Yeah, it's okay that Squall is emo/angsty because he's supposed to be."  Every RPG character is written "the way they were supposed to be" but that doesn't make them good.

Really it doesn't make anything better.  It's just a copout to help you accept the fact that it's a lame character trait.

Dunno, I still found Squall awesome. It´s because he was so arrogant and wasn´t outspoken that made him so great. So bad traits can be great, for instance Kratos from GoW is vulgar and gets mad very easily. A really bad trait but people like him.

Around the Network
memory2zack said:
Dunno, I still found Squall awesome. It´s because he was so arrogant and wasn´t outspoken that made him so great. So bad traits can be great, for instance Kratos from GoW is vulgar and gets mad very easily. A really bad trait but people like him.

Squall is a character a lot of people dislike so I chose him.  Minus the uselessness of magic, I rather enjoyed playing Final Fantasy VIII.

I don't really think there is a perfect example of a main character everyone can agree they dislike.

I'm getting it anyway. I'll be the judge.

Wichdog69

Galaki said:
It's obvious. If the game is more-of-the-same on other consoles, it's fine.
If it's on Wii, it's not.

Why else do we want waggle, right?

Yep, just like it's fine for your Wii games to have shitty graphics, but not fine for the other consoles. >.<

Iori Yagami said:
Galaki said:
It's obvious. If the game is more-of-the-same on other consoles, it's fine.
If it's on Wii, it's not.

Why else do we want waggle, right?

Yep, just like it's fine for your Wii games to have shitty graphics, but not fine for the other consoles. >.<

*quickly shuffles Iori back to the Brawl thread*

...nothing to see here.

Words Of Wisdom said:
memory2zack said:

Squall is a character a lot of people dislike so I chose him. 

Maybe in VGChartz but this site doesn´t represent the whole gaming/JRPG community. Cloud also had really bad personal traits, yet so many people like him. Laguna was really goofy but people generally liked him a lot. I don´t think bad traits make a character unattractive, actually many games have great heroes with shitty personalities. So what trait is lame and which one isn´t is up to each individual.