By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Tales of Symphonia DotNW Review - 6.7 Im still buying it.=)

hmm...I have to agree with the reviewer...and thus rate most RPGs I play much lower...

XDD lol..seriously...those are really common things in Jrpgs..what's the deal?

I still want this game.. v_v'' looks prettier than ToS(reviewer lies his ass off about visuals)

but..sorry Soriku..form what I've heard..the music can't top ToS yet..I love ToP music and ToS..ToS2 dunno yet..only heard a little..hmmm

I'm gonna have to finish ToS before getting this one though...

and after that..conducting waiter swordsman Tales for wii XD

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
@CTK I would say that he doesn't seem to like Jrpgs. Almost every complaint he has is present in almost all of the Jrpgs out there.

Well, it's why most Tales have bad ratings. They never change up the formula. There hasn't been an evolution at all in the Tales of series since Tales of Symphonia (3D battles). So, I think it's a ok to penalize the game for doing nothing different and playing the safe route.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Soriku!

Put the gun down!!!! I know you're sad!!!!

j/k

But that is a really tough break for this game.

I mean, I haven't picked it up in a few months, well I have, but that was to move the case.

@Outlawauron Well what do you expect from a Spinoff? Spinoffs for the most part are extensions on the original game. They aren't suppose to be too different. Also I wasn't talking about him saying "it is too much of the same" is the problem. He has problems with the game being linear and there not being an overworld yet the two most recent FF games were just the same. He has a problem with some load times between battles yet, I've played some recent rpgs that have just as long or even longer load times that have been getting high ratings. Cliches in the story is another thing he has a problem with, yet we see them in almost every Jrpg, and you still see this.

He says the game is too slow paced for HIS taste, yet he has to realize that he isn't forming an opinion rather than stating facts about the game, and making an observation from these facts, then rating it in comparison to other games of the genre. Reviews should NOT be an opinion rather than stating the facts for somebody else to form , yet he makes one, and these opinions stand with almost every other JRPG and aren't specific to that of ToS:Dotnw. Also seeing how niche the tales series is, and this being a spinoff, he should write his review as if he was writing to a tales of fan, and to one who loved symphonia it being pretty much the same is great news. So when writing a review I think that the target audience should be considered as well. Anyway it just seems to me that he is somebody who doesn't like the genre, rather than ToS Dotnw alone.

sc94597 said:
@Outlawauron Well what do you expect from a Spinoff? Spinoffs for the most part are extensions on the original game. They aren't suppose to be too different. Also I wasn't talking about him saying "it is too much of the same" is the problem. He has problems with the game being linear and there not being an overworld yet the two most recent FF games were just the same. He has a problem with some load times between battles yet, I've played some recent rpgs that have just as long or even longer load times that have been getting high ratings. Cliches in the story is another thing he has a problem with, yet we see them in almost every Jrpg, and you still see this.

He says the game is too slow paced for HIS taste, yet he has to realize that he isn't forming an opinion rather than stating facts about the game, and making an observation from these facts, then rating it in comparison to other games of the genre. Reviews should NOT be an opinion rather than stating the facts for somebody else to form , yet he makes one, and these opinions stand with almost every other JRPG and aren't specific to that of ToS:Dotnw. Also seeing how niche the tales series is, and this being a spinoff, he should write his review as if he was writing to a tales of fan, and to one who loved symphonia it being pretty much the same is great news. So when writing a review I think that the target audience should be considered as well. Anyway it just seems to me that he is somebody who doesn't like the genre, rather than ToS Dotnw alone.

Hate to tell you this but reviews are basically opinions.  I agree about the cliches thing.  Cliches are almost unavoidable.  We should be worried more about pacing and execution then whether or not the story have cliches.

Around the Network

@Riachu And I said they shouldn't be opinions. Yes you could comment your opinion, but that should affect the score of the game. A review is suppose to represent how much a certain audience would like a game. If the reviewer doesn't like Jrpgs then they shouldn't be writing a review on a Jrpg targeted at a certain audience. Actually now that I think of it, there shouldn't be any scores at all in reviews. A numerical, or letter scales can't represent what a game is, and how much it would appeal to the person reading the review. Imo a review should consist of what the game features, and maybe the writers opinion on the features, but that wouldn't be the same for everyone so why should they even make ratings. The overall purpose of a review is to help the reader to decide to buy a game or not based on the facts presented in a review and opinions from others aren't what you want when you are trying to decide if you want to buy the game or not for YOU and not them. I do agree though that most reviews are opinions, and that is why I like to read reviews more then judge them based on scores to decide for myself.

67 is a "fair " score ...for a game that can be played and even enjoyed but that is generic ,doesnt have strong production values behind and doesnt move forward the genre in any way but more like seems like the same game we have played ten times before.As this game .

I dont know if Tales of Vesperia is better ,but it seems to have way better character design (why so many animals in your party ?) and it sure has graphics a Game Cube couldnt replicate so easily.

@Diomedes: So you played the game and its prequel? No, I believe you are trolling.
Besides it's not the score people are hating, but the fact that the game got reviewed by a guy who doesn't like JRPG's at all.

But we know you like to trash the Wii, trash the 360, trash VGChartz. Just go away.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Diomedes1976 said:
67 is a "fair " score ...for a game that can be played and even enjoyed but that is generic ,doesnt have strong production values behind and doesnt move forward the genre in any way but more like seems like the same game we have played ten times before.As this game .

I dont know if Tales of Vesperia is better ,but it seems to have way better character design (why so many animals in your party ?) and it sure has graphics a Game Cube couldnt replicate so easily.

Have you played the game?

I personally believe 6.7 is too low, yes the game is pretty generic. But 'generic' would say the game is very blah. ToS2 isn't, it's very memorable and has it's own charm.

Edit: I'd personally give it somewhere between 7.8 - 8.5 depending on how much the player was anticipating.

Bet - "PES 2009 (PS3) will sell (closer to) 150k first week in Japan" - Pooperscopper
"It will sell closer to 125k" - Me I agree.
ME = OWNED :(

End of '09 Predictions:

Wii: 78 million
X360: 35 million
PS3: 27 million

sc94597 said:
@Riachu And I said they shouldn't be opinions. Yes you could comment your opinion, but that should affect the score of the game. A review is suppose to represent how much a certain audience would like a game. If the reviewer doesn't like Jrpgs then they shouldn't be writing a review on a Jrpg targeted at a certain audience. Actually now that I think of it, there shouldn't be any scores at all in reviews. A numerical, or letter scales can't represent what a game is, and how much it would appeal to the person reading the review. Imo a review should consist of what the game features, and maybe the writers opinion on the features, but that wouldn't be the same for everyone so why should they even make ratings. The overall purpose of a review is to help the reader to decide to buy a game or not based on the facts presented in a review and opinions from others aren't what you want when you are trying to decide if you want to buy the game or not for YOU and not them. I do agree though that most reviews are opinions, and that is why I like to read reviews more then judge them based on scores to decide for myself.

That's stupid. Every review is an opinion and if you think that a score is anything more than a summary of an opinion, then you need to stop for a second. And, with his views on games, what makes his opinion suck? He's offers a different view than someone who loves Tales like you and Soriku. It's a good and bad thing, because while you two will look past numerous negative things, he will not. He will not have the nostalgia that will ultimately affect your opinion.

The only thing that makes his opinion special is the fact that he is paid to give it.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.