By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is everyone raving about Dead Space?

disolitude, this is difficult because it´s all subjective.

I have my definition of 'AAA', and that is a title that provides me a lot of fun, don´t care what the media, metacritic, magazines, etc...consider to be 'AAA'.

With that said, I personally consider SH:Homecoming and Dead Space to be 'AAA', for me.

Around the Network
JGarret said:
disolitude, this is difficult because it´s all subjective.

I have my definition of 'AAA', and that is a title that provides me a lot of fun, don´t care what the media, metacritic, magazines, etc...consider to be 'AAA'.

With that said, I personally consider SH:Homecoming and Dead Space to be 'AAA', for me.

I like your way of thinking man.

I agree that I don't look at metacritic much. I got silent hill and it got me within 5 minutes...and i didn't play anything else till I finished it. So thats AAA for me.  Even though reviewers didn't rank it that high...

I guess my displeasure here comes from the game actually being ranked as a AAA game while I found it quite frustrating to play. But yeah, I see what you're saying...its all subjective.

"lol. Never played it but ill surely to point the finger when I do... How about that Uncharted, mr pro PS3 everything? Did you like that masterpiece of story rip offs?"

Yes, I liked it. It was as good as a Michael Chrichton (RIP), Talbot Mundy, or Sax Rohmer novel and much better than Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull.

So I ask you all then what exactly would get you scared? You having no ammo and monsters coming from all over the place, that's no scarier than what Dead Space/DOOM3 is except you have more ammo. How about the games where you have to actually hide and sneak around enemies? They are obvious ripoffs of Thief, except instead of having guards that will bash your head it you have some monster/zombie/whatever that will do it instead. Psychological horror? These are the best, but unless that thing can hurt you you just stop giving a damn. Is it gore and violence? Go play Jericho, that's all I can say.

No game is scary no matter which way you analyze it and that's a fact. Yeah Condemned and AVP2 also fall in one of those categories too.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

I wasn't aware of THAT much hype about Dead Space.

You want a game that doesn't disappoint though, look no further than Left 4 Dead! It's OMGawesome!

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
BenKenobi88 said:
I wasn't aware of THAT much hype about Dead Space.

You want a game that doesn't disappoint though, look no further than Left 4 Dead! It's OMGawesome!

Lol...im so losing that bet. I saw the intro video yesterday and i still have a hard on...

You sound like the zero punctuation review. If true then it is sad it sounded nice in reviews.

The best scare game was the first Alien vs. Predator. The white dots on your radar and louder lifeform indicator beeping together with almost no light besides your lighttorch were pretty damn heart-beat increasing.

disolitude said:

Can someone that has been gaming for more than a generation or 2 explain to me why they like this game?

well i havent played it yet no doubt i will try it out early next year(to many good ps3 games to play in the meantime)

but its supposed to be a fresh new horror game with interesting gaming elements. i have read reviews and seen videos and it certainly does look scary but its not the survival horror i wanted.

i know u havent got a ps3 now but if u can play siren blood curse u will like that if ur a horror fan.

end of the day i think dead space is a good game but not a all out survival horror.

survival horros i think have become to niche now, thats why resident evil 5 has tooken the shooter approach

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Skeeuk said:
disolitude said:

Can someone that has been gaming for more than a generation or 2 explain to me why they like this game?

well i havent played it yet no doubt i will try it out early next year(to many good ps3 games to play in the meantime)

but its supposed to be a fresh new horror game with interesting gaming elements. i have read reviews and seen videos and it certainly does look scary but its not the survival horror i wanted.

i know u havent got a ps3 now but if u can play siren blood curse u will like that if ur a horror fan.

end of the day i think dead space is a good game but not a all out survival horror.

survival horros i think have become to niche now, thats why resident evil 5 has tooken the shooter approach

I've expressed my interest in Siren many times on this site. People were saying "MGS4 will go multiplat..." and I usually replied "Screw MGS4...give me siren" :)

Siren, R2, Killzone 2 (if it doesnt suck) are gonna be my ps3 games when I buy it again.

@vlad321

To me, games that are scary are the ones where you use your imagination to be scared. No monster is as terrifying as a visualization of a monster in your head. Also, it really depends on the gaming timeline.

Resident Evil 1, 2, 3, Silent hill 1,2 were all pretty scary when released. Today however they wouldn't scare a kitten.

Doom 3/Dead Space approach (Jericho as well...mn that game sucked) does not scare me at all since you are constantly being bombarded with predictable images rather than atmospheric horror. You don't have to imagine whats going to jump at you at the next corner...since it always does. And when its the same 3 monsters over and over (ala Dead Space), the initial BOO! factor wears off in an hour.

As far as the current games, Condemned 1 was quite scary in my opinion. Also a game like Portal...while not scary...was quite creepy. Last level or FEAR was scary as well...