By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is everyone raving about Dead Space?

triplebph said:
Because it is a better game than Gears of War II and Fable II (IMO).

Fixed.....

I loved this game, and it scared the crap out of me, all the way up until the credits rolled!

Around the Network

disolitude said:

First of all the story suck major ass. Its like they read the summary of a few sci fi movies and picked out the most cliched aspects for the story. The idea of a plot twist for this game is your general saying..."OMG. This is not a virus...its a new alien lifeform". A 14 year old that is in to sci fi comics wrote this games story...

100% agreed.

I finished the game last night and i laughed so hard at the amateurish attempt to make a serious and interesting storyline. Not to mention the painfully predictable twists and ending. These guys should've really hired some professionals.

The lack of boss fights (you only get like 2) and and repetitive nature of the game annoyed me as well. But, at least  i played it 'till the end so i guess it was ok in other aspects (atmosphere, graphics).

"You have the right to the remains of a silent attorney"

palitococo said:
Dead Space its great, no matter what you say. Silent Hill Homecoming don't scared at all and Im big Silent Hill fan, but Silent Hill Homecoming doesn't so good like his predecesors.

You must be easily scared man... Silent hill homecoming wasn't very scary but I found it a lot more engaging gameplay wise and "survival" horror-ish than Dead space. Not to mention SH had a much more interesting story (if tad predictable near the end). Dead space is the same 5 minutes over and over... Even if you find those 5 minutes scary, its bound to wear off after 10 repeats.

Amateurish? I vehemently disagree with that assessment. I thought the storyline was solid.

Jackson50 said:
Amateurish? I vehemently disagree with that assessment. I thought the storyline was solid.

I just saw the Zero Punctuation review... LOL. Obviously there are people that feel like I do about this game. He definetly ripps in to this game...especially story.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/333-Dead-Space

Around the Network

I guess its just peoples opinion but I loved the game...

Currently on my second run through...

I found the ship so immersive and didnt really find the game repetitive. In fact I got rather swept up by the story line.

Its currently my game of the year !

I beg to differ :)

I loved Dead Space, I´d give it a 9/10...I also loved SH:Homecoming (I have a weak spot for horror games :O), but DP is, IMO, the better game.

Also, while the story may borrow a lot from sci-fi, cliches and all, there are still some interesting question that are unanswered....what´s really the marker?....what´s its true relation to this alien life form?

Continuing...SPOILERS SPOILERS

Who really made the 1st marker (the one that was black)?....What experiment was being conducted with the 2nd marker that was discovered?...And other things.

Anyway, I found the story and the game good enough to warrant a sequel.

Cypher1980 said:
I guess its just peoples opinion but I loved the game...

Currently on my second run through...

I found the ship so immersive and didnt really find the game repetitive. In fact I got rather swept up by the story line.

Its currently my game of the year !

Whats immersive about the ship? 

Are there any clever puzzles on the ship that don't involve you using your gravity gun or slow mo pistol in the most basic way? No...

Are there alternate routes or does the game allow you to do any exploration? No...you linearly follow the line on the ground and kill mosnters room after room. I thought we were done with "Find the gold key" like gameplay in 2001 after halflife.

But what about the weapons power up system and the store you say? Don't must guns become useless as soon as you get the next available better gun? So the power up system is pointless.

Atmosphere is pretty decent...so I guess you could lose yourself in that. But like I said, when it repeats so much it doesn't hold up for more than an hour or 2.

I found the underlying theme of religious fanaticism to be an enjoyable aspect of the storyline.

@JGarret

I think that the fact I used to be a huge sci fi buff few years back turns me off from the story in this game. Someone that has only seen one of the alien movies and has never seen event horizon may think differently I guess.

Its the same when I watch movies. I saw EagleEye a month ago and while the movie was executed very well...I couldn't enjoy it as I knew exactly whats going on from the first act and found the story to ripping off other movies i know and love.