By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - LBP Sales Expectations (A little high, eh?)

I'm calling Captain Sackboy to kick your ass.

Around the Network
hpsack said:
I'll not try to explain it to you.
I wish you remained a reader only for a longer time, you just screwed your entry Hero.

Fixed. And not to be a jerk but because I really needed to read it a couple of times to decode it.

@leo-j
LBP won't sell 500k in Europe before the end of october, since it wasn't officially released here until this week (actually tomorrow here in Sweden).

And 500k (Europe) + 250k (the US number you gave) +160k (US week 0) + 50k (Japan) is still not 1 million, so how were you thinking there?

I still think LBP will sell really well for the rest of the year though, and probably have legs for years to come.

Max,

1. Please see the first post in that thread, half way down through his numbers he claims 1.7 million "or more once including others".

2. I apologize as I did not see your corresponding numbers but I have changed my post to reflect that.

In regards to your claim about game sales where week 1 LBP is greater than them I politely must disagree. In week 1 LBP it is approximately 165k in the Americas and 50k in Japan which only trounces Okami - a well-known bomb. It actually comes quite close in comparison to the others once factoring in excessive marketing hype and social networking features.

Gab,

I think it's unlikely that a game of this nature will sell for an exceedingly long time. It's more likely that originality will be pushed to the side in favour of a small niche of game types which will oversaturate the available "maps" because of popularity (see online games focusing on very creative map creation tools such as Warcraft 3 - DoTA dominates this venue). Due to this, I believe that sales will peak in Summer 2009 and likely begin to peter off after that with very few sales by next Christmas of this game. The social networking aspect is likely to add up to six months to that longevity.

I'm not taking a lecture from some canadian.

Around the Network
Captain Amazing said:
Max,

1. Please see the first post in that thread, half way down through his numbers he claims 1.7 million "or more once including others".

2. I apologize as I did not see your corresponding numbers but I have changed my post to reflect that.

In regards to your claim about game sales where week 1 LBP is greater than them I politely must disagree. In week 1 LBP it is approximately 165k in the Americas and 50k in Japan which only trounces Okami - a well-known bomb. It actually comes quite close in comparison to the others once factoring in excessive marketing hype and social networking features.

Wow talk about not listening. The game's sales listed for America are from ILLEGAL RELEASES IN A LIMITED NUMBER OF STORES. The general public did not know that some stores released the game early and therefore those sales are not week 1, because they were sold BEFORE release. Add week 1 sales in the U.S to week 0 sales and you'll get the equivalent week 1 sales.

I know some people just want games to fail hard but you're just pathetic. May I suggest you go back to reading as opposed to posting? Atleast that way your bullshit is kept to yourself.

Captain Amazing said:

Max,

Gab,

I think it's unlikely that a game of this nature will sell for an exceedingly long time. It's more likely that originality will be pushed to the side in favour of a small niche of game types which will oversaturate the available "maps" because of popularity. Due to this, I believe that sales will peak in Summer 2009 and likely begin to peter off after that with very few sales by next Christmas of this game. The social networking aspect is likely to add up to six months to that longevity.

Week 1 hasnt even come yet. Those numbers were delayed. And European numbers week one will be out next week.  

First of all WELCOME!!

Secondly this is a game that will have legs....

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=12778&region=All

Uncharted Drakes fortune had exactly the same problem as LBP during the initial weeks with some stores breaking releases.

we can see it managed to get to 770K in NA with ONLY 35K sold in Week 1

now LBP is just below 400K LTD in NA in its first two weeks......whereas uncharted was at 90K....

so I hope you realize that you 2 Million MAX WW prediction sounds extremely silly imho.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Aj_habfan said:
I'm not taking a lecture from some canadian.

Lol.... Man my quote worked perfectly... I didn't even realize how awesome it was until you pointed out he's canadian... why no one has picked up on it yet is beyond me.

I'm a bit confused by several posters who are claiming that week 1 has not come, or that my numbers I am posting (165k + 50k) are in fact week 0 numbers. According to wikipedia the release of the game was Monday Oct 27 and these numbers I have are from Sunday Oct 26 to Sunday Nov 2.

That is what I see from the numbers from last week. The week previous should have nothing to do with this conversation other than to perhaps add to the 165+50 numbers. The recall was on October 17 so it would have affected the "week 0" rather than the week 1 which has now been posted and where I am getting my numbers from.

Snaaaaaake, I believe that perhaps you should consider taking a short break from your computer and engaging others in socially positive atmospheres. I do not appreciate such a negative tone directed toward an opinion that is otherwise well based in facts. If you wish to dispute that information please feel free to read above about how I am deriving them and reply in a civil manner.