By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Bungie and Microsoft Drifting Apart

Bungie and Microsoft Drifting Apart

A tense relationship between the companies is opening the door to the PS3 and more…

http://www.gameplayer.com.au/

Written by: Clint McCredie | 11/6/2008 10:58:02 AM

Speaking exclusively to gameplayer, Bungie’s community lead Brian Jarrard reflected on the last eventful year in the wake of the momentous release of Halo 3. He paints a picture of a much more relaxed studio since gaining independence last October from Microsoft. This all comes in an atmosphere of some doubt and concern after the much-publicized canning of Bungie’s big E3 reveal this summer and a series of restrained but tense exchanges from both Microsoft and Bungie in the aftermath of the decision.

However, it would seem from Jarrard’s description of events since Halo 3 was completed that Bungie is in a much better position to roll with the punches than ever before and that its commitment to making cutting-edge, blockbuster titles such as the recently announced Halo 3; Recon remains undiminished.

What remains more resolute than anything else, though, is Bungie’s commitment and devotion to its fans, and its goal remains to at least match, if not exceed, their expectations. That seems to be the biggest legacy from the release of Halo 3.

“We poured so much into the game and pushed really hard to get all of our features into the shipping product, but we just didn’t know if it was going to resonate well with our fan community,” Jarrard revealed. “To see the reaction to the game – not just in terms of the numbers but in terms of our hardcore fans; the way the community responded – was truly inspiring and rewarding for everyone at the studio.”

This was a message that resonated even more after all the controversy that was hovering over Bungie after its cancelled announcement of a new title at E3 - an announcement which remained clouded in mystery until the Tokyo Game Show. The overriding concern seemed to be that the Bungie community, a group that has only swelled in the last 12 months, would be irrevocably hurt by the broken promise of a new game.

Suggestions by Microsoft’s Don Mattrick that Bungie studio president Harold Ryan laughed about the decision were met by thinly veiled anger from Bungie as it did not take the decision lightly. “Keeping things clean, I certainly didn’t agree with the decision to delay our news until the TGS,” Ryan said later. “Bungie is always concerned first and foremost with our fans. Whenever we are prevented from exceeding their positive expectations it is not a laughing matter.”

Where that leaves the relationship between Bungie and Microsoft remains unclear, but Jarrard suggested it would continue to change and perhaps even become more distant with time, particularly when it comes to the Halo franchise. “Now that we’re independent, things have changed a bit, but, for the most part, people on our team still remain involved and have influences over many aspects of Halo,” Jarrard explained. “As the franchise grows, though, and as Bungie’s relationship with Microsoft continues to evolve and change, it’s probably safe to say that we will have less and less involvement down the road.”

Of course the biggest question remains what is actually in Bungie’s future game-wise? What can we expect from Halo 3: Recon? It would seem from Jarrard’s comments that despite confirmation that Bungie is working on a new Halo, that is not the be-all and end-all of Bungie’s interest right now.

“Since becoming independent last year, the future of the studio definitely includes a desire to not only create the ‘next big thing’ but to also foster and explore creative concepts of varying scales,” Jarrard told us. “We currently have multiple projects under way, each with a different scope and timeline.” What Bungie doesn’t need to worry about any longer is “carrying the weight of an entire console on [its] backs”, as Jarrard put it, with the Xbox 360 well-established and flourishing thanks to the likes of Gears Of War and Fable II.

Where once the Xbox brand was heavily dependent on Bungie’s Halo, it can now breathe a little more easily, but Jarrard and Bungie feel rightly proud of their accomplishment. “Could you imagine the Xbox or Xbox 360 without Bungie’s Halo?” he asked us. No, we could not.

------------------------------------------

” What Bungie doesn’t need to worry about any longer is “carrying the weight of an entire console on [its] backs”, as Jarrard put it"

could it be a possibility to see bungie games on ps3?

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network

nothing i read in the article seems to suggest that.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Well there you have it folks...

I don't think any major PS3 exclusive development will happen from bungie but their titles may be multiplat.

Also, being exclusive to MS...I don't see them running over to sony and being exclusive to them instead. When you get away from one black hole that sucks everythig in...why would you go to another?

A bungie game weill never come on PS3.

MS will make sure....they aren't dumb!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

i highly doubt it, m$ has the 1st option to publish any game bungie makes. that was in their agreement to become a independant studio, so i think if bungie wanted to go to other consoles, they could get sued my m$ for breach of contract.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

Around the Network

They meant that the 360 is doing great not's just because of Halo. There is a huge part of the 360 userbase that don't care about Halo. That's what he meant. Not that they will start PS3 development. They still are MS second party.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

I do believe it is possible. But not for 4 or 5 years. M$ will look at and know every project they are working on. If they think it is good they will snap up the exclusive rights.

But Halo will never go becuase M$ owns it.

darthdevidem01 said:
A bungie game weill never come on PS3.

MS will make sure....they aren't dumb!

At this point I think most can agree that PS3 and 360 are 2 of the same things really.

I don't see bungie saying "we want to go to PS3 to express our creativity better..." At this point, titles go to other consoles beacuse of possibility of making $$$.

And id MS is picking up Bungies bill...I think you are right with that statement.

"even become more distant with time, particularly when it comes to the Halo franchise. “

Considering they no longer own the Halo IP yea I would say they would have to move from it, heh. Nothing really new here. A multiplat game hitting the consoles by the end of this gen is really anything ground breaking.

I'm sorry But what a fake heading (Bungie and Microsoft Drifting Apart). It doesn't say that anywhere. Please don't tell me you found this on the worst fanboy site (***).

You wanna have your opinion, then you have to respect different opinions as well.