By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Bungie and Microsoft Drifting Apart

Phrancheyez said:
Phrancheyez said:
Bungie will makes games for PS3.  I'm not saying it'll be this year or next, but they will.

This is one of the most absurd posts I've ever seen you make...and quite frankly, I'm disappointed!

I hate when people do these "Fixed" posts because most are dumb and uncreative... but

FIXED!

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network
Godot said:
They meant that the 360 is doing great not's just because of Halo. There is a huge part of the 360 userbase that don't care about Halo. That's what he meant. Not that they will start PS3 development. They still are MS second party.

This.

Nothing wrong with new IP`s from Bungie for 360.

And why this negative expressed thread to MS and the 360 is done by someone that has a ps3 tag? Just asking.

ROFLOL...Bungie can develop as they see fit now...but here's the thing about it. They KNOW how to program for 360, and they are one of th ebest, so they will have to dedicate mroe resources to other consoles, one of which is more complicated and different than anything else, to publish titles. M$ isn't stupid, which was why M$ didn't do an ensemble on Bungie, so imho, for all the fanboys hoping that the M$/Bungie relationship is fraying...keep wishing!

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

I don't think Jarrard has a say on what console their games go to

I think that what he meant was that they are way more relaxed, i mean when they made the last 3 Halo games, those really needed to be awsome because the Xbox brand was as stablished as it is now, now that it's well stablished, they can make games without have the pressure of being the X360 "savior"

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
A bungie game weill never come on PS3.

MS will make sure....they aren't dumb!

^^THIS^^

Kane said:
I don't think Jarrard has a say on what console their games go to

You're right. It's MS who say where the games can go. As they have publishing rights on all existing and future Bungie IPs.

It is more what the guy said about them getting disillusioned with Microsoft and that they've begun looking at different avenues of which the PS3 is one... Wii, PC and others could be options too.

Interesting that they are working on more than one new project, that's for sure. Wish I knew what the others were.

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

I'm just waiting for Halo Duel Screen    lol

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

The full article is a little more indicative of what was actually said.

http://www.gameplayer.com.au/gp_documents/Halo-3-Year-On.aspx?Page=3

Gameplayer got exclusive access to Bungie’s community lead Brian Jarrard who gave us an insight into the behind-the-scenes state-of mind of the mighty developer now that we are more than a year on from the release of Halo 3.

Gameplayer: Twelve months on from the release, what’s your abiding memory of those final days before Halo 3 hit the shelves?

Brian Jarrard: In the final days prior to launching Halo 3, the atmosphere within Bungie was a mix of excitement, anticipation, and, frankly, a little bit of fear. The jubilation of actually finishing the game had come and gone months prior and much of the studio had already taken a vacation and returned to work just prior to release.

We poured so much into the game and pushed really hard to get all of our features into the shipping product, but we just didn’t know if it was going to resonate well with our fan community. After the sting of the abrupt ending of Halo 2 and our own internal disappointments, we went out of our way to close the trilogy with a bang and make up for things we didn’t particularly love about the last instalment.

Gameplayer: Was there ever a point when you didn’t think that you were going to get the game finished in time?

Brian Jarrard: Unlike the highly publicised pains we endured during the development of Halo 2 – practically starting over nearly 18 months into the project and making painful cuts towards the end – Halo 3 went pretty damn good. Sure, we had some touch-and-go moments, particularly with challenging technical features like four-player network co-op, but there was never any question about the game being finished on time.

Gameplayer: Film directors and actors often talk about moving onto something smaller after finishing a big-budget project. Was there a similar feeling around the Bungie offices or is big beautiful at Bungie?

Brian Jarrard: In recent times, Bungie has not known anything other than big; anything other than carrying the weight of an entire console on our backs. However, since becoming independent last year, the future of the studio definitely includes a desire to not only create the ‘next big thing’ but to also foster and explore creative concepts of varying scales. We currently have multiple projects under way, each with a different scope and timeline.

Gameplayer: Have you actually had the chance to take a break since last September, what with all the additional content being developed and other changes at the company?

Brian Jarrard: The vast majority of the development team actually took a healthy vacation before the game shipped, and returned just in time to enjoy the launch festivities. Our newly independent studio is also quite generous with holidays, helping to keep everyone grounded and sane amidst the occasional chaos of development.

Gameplayer: Halo is being developed as a franchise by other companies besides yourselves now, through books, spin-off games, and perhaps still a movie eventually. Has it been difficult to adjust to seeing others play around in the world you created?

Brian Jarrard: Most of what you’re describing has existed for years now and has been the result of close collaboration with people inside Bungie. So far, the quality has remained high and the partners are some of the best in their respective industries. It’s quite flattering in some cases to see how these other groups interpret and realise the universe we created.

Now that we’re independent, things have changed a bit, but, for the most part, people on our team still remain involved and have influences over many aspects of Halo. In the case of Halo Wars, our role was to help consult initially on fictional aspects, ensuring a continuity and fit within the Halo canon. As the franchise grows, though, and as Bungie’s relationship with Microsoft continues to evolve and change, it’s probably safe to say that we will have less and less involvement down the road.

Gameplayer: Halo 3 broke records, sold millions, and made bundles of cash, but what was the most satisfying thing for you guys that came from releasing Halo 3?

Brian Jarrard: I have a feeling this answer would vary pretty greatly depending on who you ask at the studio. Everyone appreciates bundles of cash, but for many of us, the most satisfying thing was actually pulling off what we set out to accomplish.

Gameplayer: Could you ever have imagined how important Halo and John-117 would end up being to those consoles?

Brian Jarrard: Years ago, nobody at Bungie had any idea how big the original Halo or Master Chief would be to the Xbox console or even the game and entertainment industries as a whole. Looking back on that now, it is still surreal to the original team. Bungie knew that Halo was a fun game, a game we really liked, but had no idea it would turn into what it has become today, let alone single-handedly make or break Microsoft’s entry into the game console market.

On the Xbox 360 it was a little different. Knowing what Halo had already done in the first generation, it wasn’t going to come as a surprise so much as a requirement. Halo 3 had to be huge, and it would have to live up to and even exceed the impact made by the prior games. That was certainly a lot of pressure to endure internally, second only to our own ridiculously high pressure we put on ourselves to do the best work we can. Could you imagine the Xbox or Xbox 360 without Bungie’s Halo?