By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is it just me or for all the Wii hype do the PS360 sell more software?

The Wii hype isn't making the HD console sell more software.
But for the first time the success of one console isn't actually affecting the catalog of games of the other 2 consoles.

If Wii hadn't happened, HD consoles would be getting exactly the same games lol...
So we can safely go back to ignoring it and playing our favorite games..

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
famousringo said:

But this point isn't really as interesting as you make it out to be. Consoles which sell less hardware usually have a higher software attach ratio.

Wrong. No console in history has ever proved it.

The Playstation 2 (highest selling system of all time) has had a global attatch ratio of over 10 software units to 1 hardware unit. The Gamecube didn't even reach that.

If anything, it's the inverse: A console that leads usually has the better attach ratio since software titles are more abundant, and as the system has a longer lifespan, it gets a better attach ratio, since users still have a reason to play on the old system.

Even the DS is breaking away from the standard handheld mold thanks to the overwhelming support the console has received. Normally, handhelds move a mere 5.0 software units when they are lucky. According to Nintendo (and someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong), the DS has already moved 500,000,000+ units of software on 80,000,000 Nintendo DSes - which would be above a 6.0 attach ratio.

It was my understanding that these effects largely kick in towards the end of the generation, and early on the slow sellers end up with a higher attach ratio. Or am I wrong about that, as well as being insufficiently specific in my previous post?

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Ail said:
But for the first time the success of one console isn't actually affecting the catalog of games of the other 2 consoles.

If Wii hadn't happened, HD consoles would be getting exactly the same games lol...

If you're pertaining to Third party right now this is true, as majority of those games were in development before it was clear who this gens winner was. It was readity assumes that either XB360, or PS3 would win. No one prior to launch would have thought that the Wii would be this gens PS2.

...If this gen plays out for another 4 years you will probably see the market leader getting the bulk of the big game exclusives.

The Interweb is about overreaction, this is what makes it great!

...Imagine how boring the interweb would be if everyone thought logically?

Contrary to people who only look at hardware sales to determine attach rate for software... it does matter what games are available in order to have software sales.

Let's look at metacritic, and games scored 75 or above. Let's consider this the library of games available.

Wii: 62 games
PS3: 117 games
360: 199 games

So, going by that, if wii hardware = 360 + PS3 (it's a little less, but to keep the math easy...)

The 360 and PS3 should sell ( 199 + 117 ) / 62 = 5 times as much software.

Considering that the wii doesn't have as good of a library as other other systems, it is selling much better then it should.

...Also in IMO Attach ratio is bout as important as QB rating, lol.

The Interweb is about overreaction, this is what makes it great!

...Imagine how boring the interweb would be if everyone thought logically?

Around the Network

People hype up the Wii???!!! I haven't noticed it as much compared to PS360...

4 ≈ One

senortaco said:
Ail said:

If you're pertaining to Third party right now this is true, as majority of those games were in development before it was clear who this gens winner was. It was readity assumes that either XB360, or PS3 would win. No one prior to launch would have thought that the Wii would be this gens PS2.

...If this gen plays out for another 4 years you will probably see the market leader getting the bulk of the big game exclusives.

That is very doubtfull seeing how the fact that the publishers bet on the wrong consoles isn't actually affecting the success of their games...That and the first foray of third parties into the Wii haven't been that successfull..

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

It really just depends on the software released and how heavily it's marketed. Something which is currently favouring the 360/PS3....hence better sales.

Fact is if Nintendo released Mario Galaxy 2, a new Zelda and a new Mario Party this Christmas or...then Wii's software sales would skyrocket .

...but Nintendo have released little this holiday and likely expected the 3rd parties to fill that gap (which they didn't do).

Of course it is less crucial for Nintendo as the market Nintendo has buys games throught the year (see wii Fit and Mario Kart).... I suspect you'll see Nintendo dominating the charts again in the spring /summer due to the much longer tail on their software (and a seemingly strong first quarter in 09)....while 360/PS3 sales tend to get a bigger boost in the holidays.

famousringo said:
mrstickball said:
famousringo said:

But this point isn't really as interesting as you make it out to be. Consoles which sell less hardware usually have a higher software attach ratio.

Wrong. No console in history has ever proved it.

The Playstation 2 (highest selling system of all time) has had a global attatch ratio of over 10 software units to 1 hardware unit. The Gamecube didn't even reach that.

If anything, it's the inverse: A console that leads usually has the better attach ratio since software titles are more abundant, and as the system has a longer lifespan, it gets a better attach ratio, since users still have a reason to play on the old system.

Even the DS is breaking away from the standard handheld mold thanks to the overwhelming support the console has received. Normally, handhelds move a mere 5.0 software units when they are lucky. According to Nintendo (and someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong), the DS has already moved 500,000,000+ units of software on 80,000,000 Nintendo DSes - which would be above a 6.0 attach ratio.

It was my understanding that these effects largely kick in towards the end of the generation, and early on the slow sellers end up with a higher attach ratio. Or am I wrong about that, as well as being insufficiently specific in my previous post?

Kind of true, although if you check PS2 WW ratio for the last week it was less than 10:1 for games:consoles (which implies the LTD ratios are decreasing) this could be due to the less reliable data for older systems, PS2 will be missing more titles still selling weekly than the other consoles.

What you can do is check shipment data of Wii vs. PS2 though (ok PS2 is "production shipments" which is a little misleading but it will have to do)

PS2 production shipments after September 2002:
(This puts the launches for Europe and America rouhgly aligned with Wii, but gives PS2 a 7-8 month advantage in Japan)

HW - 41.56 million (likely about 36 to 38 million sold to retail)
SW - 229.0 million (I have no idea... perhaps ~220 million to retail)

Wii sales (shipment to retail) after September 2008

HW - (My estimate is ~ 41 million produced) 34.55 million sold
SW - (??? dunno, maybe ~ 235 million produced) 229.85 million sold

-------

It's hard to say given the differences in the reporting method.... but ratios using the same type should be ok

PS2 ratio - 5.51

Wii ratio - 6.65 (doesn't include Wii Sports)

Of course the shipments to retail favour a higher attach ratio slightly because games generally won't need to be stored away for long after they are produced.
So for arguments sake:

PS2 ratio estimate - 5.79 to 6.11

Wii ratio estimate - 5.73 (again, not including Wii Sports)

-------

Thus I think it is fair to say the Wii is selling more software than the PS2 was at the same point in it's life, I even gave the PS2 an advantage of some extra time in Japan (although that won't have made too much of a difference to the total)

Ail said:

That's where you're wrong. Monster Hunter 3, Fatal Frame 4 and the Tenchu series would've stayed on PS3 (or maybe also on the 360) if it weren't for the Wii. In fact, most Japanese centric franchises will probably shift to the Wii instead of the HD consoles. Only the western developers are ignoring the Wii.