By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Left 4 Dead shouldn't be discounted as a AAA shooter(achievement spoilers)

"^obviously using a keypad and mouse layout it wont have that prob, but from demo i played grafix were very basic, although it ran smooth"

There were aspects of the graphics that rose above a standard level imo, like how the zombies really did look realistic when they were running together in a mob. Very 24 Days Later.

I did think the Boomers seemed cheap until I became use to expecting one to explode every time I got near the top of a staircase. When I was covered in their goo, I would try to find a way to get back behind the other characters until they had dealt with the horde.

Around the Network

Damn... i was hoping there'd be more special/boss enemies than just those 5 that show up in the demo. My one fear about this game is it'll just get really repetitive with the same never-ending cycles of enemies that show up level after level.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

I was tagged by a boomer one time and the first thing I did was throw myself in a small room in the apartment building where you start the level while my team mates took out the zombies that started clawing at the door.

------

What's the point of using pipe bombs unless you're about to be overrun? I was playing in a game where people would throw them when there wasn't a need for a distraction and since it makes noise, it spawns more zombies to come in. They kept doing it too :( 

The pipebombs are really only for when you're overrun, or feel lucky and think you can hit a tank with it (I did today hehe).

As for the flashlight stuff, I don't really understand the complaint. I think it looks great from your own flashlight...it'd be nice if the other 3 players cast dynamic shadows as well, but the 360 and older PCs wouldn't be able to handle that. The dynamic shadows cast from your own light looks great though...and since when should a flashlight light up a whole room?

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Only having a flashlight to illuminate a small part of the screen is similar to having too much head bob. It messes with my eyes and I don't like it in prolonged doses.

Around the Network
BenKenobi88 said:
The pipebombs are really only for when you're overrun, or feel lucky and think you can hit a tank with it (I did today hehe).

As for the flashlight stuff, I don't really understand the complaint. I think it looks great from your own flashlight...it'd be nice if the other 3 players cast dynamic shadows as well, but the 360 and older PCs wouldn't be able to handle that. The dynamic shadows cast from your own light looks great though...and since when should a flashlight light up a whole room?

its just a flaww its shouldnt light up the whole room but since light bounces it should provide some secondary light as well

in teh first part climb into a closet and close teh door, even in a closed tight space its only a cone of light with no reflecting

that kinda bugged me that you would get this great moving shadows but not something so obvious as this

mesoteto said:
BenKenobi88 said:

its just a flaww its shouldnt light up the whole room but since light bounces it should provide some secondary light as well

in teh first part climb into a closet and close teh door, even in a closed tight space its only a cone of light with no reflecting

that kinda bugged me that you would get this great moving shadows but not something so obvious as this

Well point some games to me that do this then, because it just sounds like wishful thinking on your part...I don't know of any games that do flashlights much better than seen here.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

^agreed, Fallout 3's flashlight is a perfect example of a really bad flashlight.

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

Se that makes it all the worse b/c this game does have the best flash light work to date, but is till missed stepped

I think they got so caught up in the shadows of everything that they forgot to have an intern stand in a closet for a min and see if all it does is a cone of light when you turn your flashlight on

Another game that was bad about this was Quake 4

You only got light in a cone directly in front of your flashlight instead of in the direction you were pointing it

It just seems to me that they should have added in a small light bubble almost that dimly lights up the area of the light instead of just the direction

mesoteto said:
Se that makes it all the worse b/c this game does have the best flash light work to date, but is till missed stepped

I think they got so caught up in the shadows of everything that they forgot to have an intern stand in a closet for a min and see if all it does is a cone of light when you turn your flashlight on

Another game that was bad about this was Quake 4

You only got light in a cone directly in front of your flashlight instead of in the direction you were pointing it

It just seems to me that they should have added in a small light bubble almost that dimly lights up the area of the light instead of just the direction

K...I understand what you're saying, but if there aren't other games that have done it better, than I wouldn't complain that much.

In fact send a suggestion to Valve, maybe they'll work on that for their next game or a future L4D update.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM