By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - First Strike! Hot Shots Golf Sells ~50% (150k) first day!

I think if Sony only moves about 25K units in Japan this week, I'd consider that failure. 40K would be reasonably successful.

As mrstickball pointed out, sales should be increasing over all due to the improved library. Price isn't as much of a problem in Japan where the PS3 is about $400 for the available 20GB version. I'm hoping for a consistent ~15K/week on slow weeks for the PS3. Big releases will help, but there are fewer big releases for the Japanese this year than there are for the US audience.

I can't believe how many people think Metal Gear Solid is a huge franchise in Japan.

Around the Network

@ WiteoutKing

Look back a few weeks in these threads. Hot Shots Golf was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread, the all-out savior of the PS3. It's far from unsavable, but HSG didn't do much more than give a little push.

I have and haven't found anything extra-ordinary like PS3 supporters jumping on this title as being the platform's savior en masse. Most seemed pretty realistic anticipating over 200K sales, but well below 500K.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Chill out everyone ;)

Firstly, the article may be saying "sold out in 50% of stores" - which is more than 50% total sold.

Secondly - 150k sales for day#1 is excellent for a PS3 title, and should get close to entire shipment for the week. Then again it IS a huge Sony title (2nd biggest?), and it is holiday time in Japan.

If this didn't do well, then nothing would on the PS3.

So its a solid start. We'll see how this affects hardware sales - be nice if PS3 sales could reach 30k for the week (or more?).

(its significantly over my "line in the sand" figure, so the danger has passed in my eyes...). 

Also waiting to see how the other titles (including MP8) does. Wii could have another 100k shipment this week. (just finished another game of MP8 here, and really enjoying it - getting better everytime we play it...).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Not all PS3 supporters are that fanatical. We know we'll be stuck in a distant third for this gen, thanks for the memo.

On a side note, I think aside from Gundam Musou and HSG, PS3 looks like a XBox360 with less Japanese games so far. Those two have good attach rates, but none of the vast gaming majority feel compelled to get in yet.

Like Shams says, this level of sales should be considered "doing well" with the existing fanbase. But at this point, no title would ever give PS3 Wii-levels of sales.

meowmints said:

Not all PS3 supporters are that fanatical. We know we'll be stuck in a distant third for this gen, thanks for the memo.

The PS3 may be able to break the 3rd place shackels sometime in 2009.  Perhaps I'm just being optimistic, but this holiday season will tell us an awful lot about the near future and by the end of 2008, it should be clear whether or not the PS3 has a good chance of breaking in to second place.  I'm betting will.  The 360 sales have been so bad this year that even a good holiday wouldn't make me optimistic for its chances. 

Around the Network

Excellent sales

This just goes onto show if a PS3 title is "targeted" towards Japan, it can do miracles....

Lets see how it does in comparison to the big wii games this week

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

shams said:

Chill out everyone ;)

Firstly, the article may be saying "sold out in 50% of stores" - which is more than 50% total sold.

Secondly - 150k sales for day#1 is excellent for a PS3 title, and should get close to entire shipment for the week. Then again it IS a huge Sony title (2nd biggest?), and it is holiday time in Japan.

If this didn't do well, then nothing would on the PS3.

So its a solid start. We'll see how this affects hardware sales - be nice if PS3 sales could reach 30k for the week (or more?).

(its significantly over my "line in the sand" figure, so the danger has passed in my eyes...). 

Also waiting to see how the other titles (including MP8) does. Wii could have another 100k shipment this week. (just finished another game of MP8 here, and really enjoying it - getting better everytime we play it...).

No it does not, it says: "Sold out to 50 % in many stores" which is less than 50 percent sold.

However, this is a good start for a game on the install base of the PS3, but the only important thing is how this affects the hardware sales. If All those buyers of HSG also bought a PS3, it is huge, and if PS3 hardware will be at the same level as last week it's a complete disappointment.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

TheBigFatJ said:
meowmints said:

The PS3 may be able to break the 3rd place shackels sometime in 2009. Perhaps I'm just being optimistic, but this holiday season will tell us an awful lot about the near future and by the end of 2008, it should be clear whether or not the PS3 has a good chance of breaking in to second place. I'm betting will. The 360 sales have been so bad this year that even a good holiday wouldn't make me optimistic for its chances.

I think Sony's hand is pretty well played, and will come out as expected.

The big unknown at the moment is Microsoft. In a lot of ways, their destiny is firmly in their hands. This is the Xmas the 360 has to shine - but if managed badly (more RRoD) it could be death.

MS's performance will determine whether Sony end up 2nd or 3rd this generation IMO.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

@ shams

MS's performance will determine whether Sony end up 2nd or 3rd this generation IMO.

IMO only for the US. The XBox 360 IMO isn't that much of a factor in Europe and Japan with regard to the PS3's success. Meanwhile IMO the lowend platforms PS2 and Nintendo Wii will continue to outsell both platforms for the immediate future. I anticipate mass upgrades from the existing PS2 install base by the time the PS2 is discontinued and a cheaper slimline PS3 is released.

Final Fantasy I think is a title which will really start to get the PS3 rolling in Japan. Although White Knight Story also looks very promising and I think the game will go up Famitsu's most wanted charts in due time.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

TheBigFatJ said:

The PS3 may be able to break the 3rd place shackels sometime in 2009. Perhaps I'm just being optimistic, but this holiday season will tell us an awful lot about the near future and by the end of 2008, it should be clear whether or not the PS3 has a good chance of breaking in to second place. I'm betting will. The 360 sales have been so bad this year that even a good holiday wouldn't make me optimistic for its chances.

This holiday seasons will say nothing imo. One decent-selling franchise (Ratchet) and a bunch of unproven new IPs won't be able to pull in many new PS3 users, especially NOT in Japan.

Also someone mentioned Sony's position in Europe / Japan. I agree that 2nd place is assured for Sony there. America counts for such a large piece of the pie though that MS still *could* hold onto 2nd overall.  Look at the EA fiasco.  If all PS3 ports are percieved as poorly, they will be third in America.