By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Discussion - When Will PS3 overtake 360 WW?

With the current gap of 5.57million - for it to outsell it by the end of 2009 would mean it would have to outsell the 360 every week by 107,115.....i can't see it happening that quickly.

Around the Network
Fumanchu said:
With the current gap of 5.57million - for it to outsell it by the end of 2009 would mean it would have to outsell the 360 every week by 107,115.....i can't see it happening that quickly.

The holidays, my friend.  The holidays. 

If the ps3 gains some serious ground over the 360 next year, then it could outsell the 360 by as much as 250k a week over the '09 holiday season.

Lets just say we take 40k difference between PS3 and X360 as an average with the PS3 on top. This includes the holiday season of 2009.

Then it would (I don't have a calculator available to me right now) take aproximately 160 weeks. Which would be 3 years... Coming to the conclusion that X360 and PS3 will remain in a struggle for a long time, even when their biggest momentum has already passed away. Just like the Gamecube and the Xbox. Only with a higher total sales LTD number for both! 

THE NETHERLANDS

makingmusic476 said:
Fumanchu said:

The holidays, my friend.  The holidays. 

If the ps3 gains some serious ground over the 360 next year, then it could outsell the 360 by as much as 250k a week over the '09 holiday season.

==> remember it is also true for the xbox360

what if it gets crushed by the PS3 this Xmas  ???
what if PS3 get crushed by the xbox360 this xmas

EDITED

Time to Work !

A few notes on what the Ps3 needs to do to beat the 360 by end of 09.

- The Ps3 would have to outsell the 360 by over 105K weekly. That's 420K monthly, and 5M yearly.

- As the Ps3 is likely to only see a slight win this holiday (ala ~ 500K), we can say that the gap will be about 5M by the start of 09.

- As we can expect the 360 to sell roughly 10-12M next year too (it is likely to have sold ~ 11M in 08), this would mean that the Ps3 will need 15-17M of sales next year. In 2008, it is likely to have sold ~ 12.5M

- If we expect 7M sales for the last 2 months next year for Ps3, (it is likely to see 5-5.5M this year, so a 33% growth) this would mean that it needs 8-10M in 42 weeks. This is an average of 190-240K a week. For a comparison, the Wii sold ~ 240K a week in the first 10 months of 2007. So, Ps3 10 months 09 would need to be equal or slightly lower than Wii 10 months 07

Edit:

For the Ps3 to overtake the 360 by Q2 09, this would have to happen.

- The Ps3 needs a monster holiday in 08, managing to outsell the 360 by 1.5M. That's very unlikely, but possible.

- In 09, there's now 26 weeks, non in holiday, and the Ps3 needs 4M. It now needs to outsell the 360 by 150K each week. As the 360 is likely to sell 4M in this period , the Ps3 would need 8M that's 310K a week. For a comparison, the Wii sold 380K in the same period in 08.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Around the Network

My guess is 2010, I do still believe that when blu-ray goes mainstream (anyone thinking it wont are being very silly) the consoles will sell just for that feature. The console still outsells 360 in many regions even though the MS console is much cheaper so with a price cut PS3 sales should increase and stay that way. Of course a price cut is not going to happen any time soon but until then the PS3 can keep with the 360 (at least in EU and Japan) with bundles.

The really big system sellers for PS3 look to be Killzone 2, GOW 3, GT5 and in Japan FFXIII, those games will cause spikes for PS3 hardware sales and decrease the gap between it and the 360.

makingmusic476 said:
Fumanchu said:

The holidays, my friend. The holidays.

Now that's something I can't see happening.  I don't believe Microsoft would let their lead be frittered away so easily, they'd sooner take a loss and increase marketshare than go down like that.

Fumanchu said:
makingmusic476 said:
Fumanchu said:

The holidays, my friend. The holidays.

Now that's something I can't see happening.  I don't believe Microsoft would let their lead be frittered away so easily, they'd sooner take a loss and increase marketshare than go down like that.

Depends on what you count as holiday. If you just count 4 weeks December, that's possible. I see the Wii outselling the Ps3 by 850K weekly for that period this year (just to give a perspective).

For 9 weeks November + December, I doubt it though.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

not 2009, unless 360 dips a lot in sales with a PS3 resurgence... but most probably it will happen mid 2010, as i agree greatly with Oyvoyvoyv. I just cant see the PS3 doin soo well after the GTA and MGS4 releases that are the most influential in sales by far.

Not before 2010.