By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Saving games to the Xbox 360's hard drive makes them look better !!

link: http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_scene/2008/10/saving-games-to.html

October
Saving games to the Xbox 360's hard drive makes them look better

As I wrote on Wednesday, I have found Microsoft's updated version of Xbox Live to be a mixed bag navigation-wise. And I haven't used a few key features like parties or Netflix yet.

But there's one feature I'm using that is undeniably awesome: Saving games to the hard drive. As soon as I got the NXE (new Xbox experience) beta test, I immediately saved "Fable 2" to the hard drive, mainly because the game is constantly accessing data from the disc and it is loud, even by Xbox 360 standards. I was hoping I would no longer be distracted by the noise of a disc spinning with such fury it could fly out of the machine and behead me and I was right. The 8 minutes or so it took to transfer the game to my hard drive was well worth it, because the 360 is now virtually silent while I play.

But there was one extra, unexpected benefit: "Fable 2" looks noticeably better. The graphics are sharper and brighter. So much so that it's like the game, or my graphics processor, has gotten an upgrade. Perhaps someone more familiar with programming can tell me why, but I assume it has to do with the fact that it's easier for the console to access and process all the requisite data, so it has to make fewer compromises to deliver me graphics in real time.

Nobody at Microsoft (or anywhere else) has talked about this benefit that I've seen I can't say whether it will happen with every title. But presuming so, it really makes transferring games to the hard drive a no-brainer, so long as you've got the space. Who doesn't want their videogames to look as sharp as possible?

(In terms of hard drive management, I imagine I'll be regularly transferring and deleting different games based on how much space I have and what games I'm playing the most at the moment.)

"I envy you. You North Americans are very lucky. You are fighting the most important fight of all- you live in the heart of the beast." 

Ernesto "Che" Guevara.

Around the Network

lol the guy is blowing smoke, what a stupid article.

the install helps load times and helps reduced texture pop etc because before install it had to constant reading from dvd.

to say the textures, grafix are upgraded, because of installing the game is just a joke.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

I really really doubt it....the guys gone mad!!

if its true then I don;t know if its good news or bad news....esepcially considering the poor arcade 360 owners.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

That's impossible, transferring from the disc to harddrive is not going to make textures and what not magically better looking.

I guess we'll find out nov 19th !

"I envy you. You North Americans are very lucky. You are fighting the most important fight of all- you live in the heart of the beast." 

Ernesto "Che" Guevara.

Around the Network
HeroeDeLeyenda said:
I guess we'll find out nov 19th !

No we won't because we already know that saving the game to the HDD will only decrease load times and potentially reduce texture pop-in.  This guy is either lying, or was so excited about the update that he was imaging things.

When people want better graphics for their PC, they buy a new video card, not 10,000 RPM HDDs and 20X DVD drives.

Posted by: iMAd | November 01, 2008 at 11:17 AM
I think i may know why, depending on what tv or monitor you are using. If you are using a monitor size 22" or any other 16:10 contrast ratio display, the NXE has support for a new resolution 1680X1050, this is boviously a huge bump from the previous maximum 16:10 resolution of 1368X765. If that is the case, then it explains why you see such a huge difference

Ernesto "Che" Guevara.

Can't wait to fire up Mass Effect!

I want to see pictures !!!!

HeroeDeLeyenda said:
Posted by: iMAd | November 01, 2008 at 11:17 AM
I think i may know why, depending on what tv or monitor you are using. If you are using a monitor size 22" or any other 16:10 contrast ratio display, the NXE has support for a new resolution 1680X1050, this is boviously a huge bump from the previous maximum 16:10 resolution of 1368X765. If that is the case, then it explains why you see such a huge difference

I remember screwing around with a friends Xbox 360 over a year ago and it supported that resolution. This guy is fool of it and he knows it.