By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - DSi Japan Launch

See my post below.

Around the Network
thetonestarr said:
lapsed_gamer said:
How is it mathematically impossible to beat DSL launch? There is a post in this thread that says it sold 124k week one. The DSi only has to supply that many to stores for it to be possible

Do you have eyes? Can you read? Is 300k > 550k? No? Okay, then it's mathematically impossible.

It's been stated a multitude of times now that there were 550,000 DS Lite units available during March 2006, when the DS Lite released. Meanwhile, Nintendo has stated that the DSi's initial shipment will be 200,000, with an additional 100,000 following it up later. That makes 300,000.

Unless they manage to ship more than they've stated they're going to, they will not be able to beat DS Lite's launch. Absolutely no chance. 300,000 will always come before 550,000.

I see, so that´s where you are coming from. In this case you are comparing two completely different things, though. Just take a look at DS lite sales numbers, it didn´t sell 550k units during its first weeks on the market and that´s the important thing. Those 300k units are only the first two shipments Nintendo planned. They will not magically stop shipping new units after week two.

In case the new model really sold out (and I mean nearly all 200,000 units available) than it would have actually beaten the DSL´s  first week already.

Again, this is not to say the launch will be better but it is mathematically possible. I am certain Nintendo will ship more than 300,000 units during November if (!) demand makes it possible for them.

Actually the market penetration for the DS stands at almost 18 percent of the whole nation, there is still a lot of people who could potentially buy the DS.

Huh. Who would've thought that beggining anew in my real life would coincide with starting anew on vgchartz?

Any day now, the dollar will be worth less than 2 zloty......any day now.....and my life savings will be in total jepordy ;(.

Cool, I always love the hype Japanese have for new gadgets and games. I'm glad it sold well, should provaide a very solid X-mas for the DS.

Now bring on Monster Hunter 3, it should easily beat those lines.

DSL had 550,000 shipped first week, but sold only 124,000.

Bet - "PES 2009 (PS3) will sell (closer to) 150k first week in Japan" - Pooperscopper
"It will sell closer to 125k" - Me I agree.
ME = OWNED :(

End of '09 Predictions:

Wii: 78 million
X360: 35 million
PS3: 27 million

Around the Network

DSi will be huuuuuuuuuge lol

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

Will ioi be combining DSi sales with DS sales? (If so the LTD number will be ridiculously huge).

Menago KF said:
Actually the market penetration for the DS stands at almost 18 percent of the whole nation, there is still a lot of people who could potentially buy the DS.

Yep... there are plenty of homeless dudes to purchase it :P (jk)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

smac said:
Will ioi be combining DSi sales with DS sales? (If so the LTD number will be ridiculously huge).

and why shouldn't he, since all the PSP iterations are lumped into one "PSP" catergory.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

Just look at this HUGE line...

DSi is going to sell like LBP was supposed to sell =p