By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Mirror's Edge is impressive.

Well I've just played the demo, and played it twice, three times, four times, and five times.

My god, I've never played anything so damn refreshing and adrenaline pumping!

So now I'm buying Valkyria Chronicles and Mirror's Edge. Goodbye Resistance 2 for now!

Around the Network

hate the FP view

the controls take time to get use too, ill play it more before i decide

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

where's the demo?

Uploaded to the PSN store yesterday.

The concept of a first person parkour game is a first and the back story is interesting enough to make it worth following, but the demo came up short it terms of visuals and in controls.

The rendering resolution looks to be anywhere between 600-640 vertical lines. I'd be very surprised if it were actually native rendered at 1280x720. It is jagged. Compared to the gorgeous promo videos released earlier this year, I was disappointed.

The stark colors were a stylistic call as well as a gameplay element to help guide the player, so no complaints there, but the textures, much like the render output, could have been much smoother and detailed.

From a control perspective, it seemed to mismatch fairly loose controls with rather unforgiving margins for error. It felt as though the game was designed so that far too many platforming maneuvers were set up so that multiple attempts would be necessary to lengthen the game.

On the plus side, I can see this game as an ideal speed run game once the controls become second nature.

Not a first day buy, but I will probably pick this up eventually.

Around the Network

this thread should be under general since its now out on XBL.

I really like the graphics but controls.. meh its something that you need to spend time on so I'll give it a miss.

Controls are something that I will have to get use to, but it's not a day one purchase for me. I will wait till its under $30 to get.

bugrimmar said:

Well I've just played the demo, and played it twice, three times, four times, and five times.

My god, I've never played anything so damn refreshing and adrenaline pumping!

So now I'm buying Valkyria Chronicles and Mirror's Edge. Goodbye Resistance 2 for now!

NO!

Resistance is futile!

Mirror's Edge was pretty disappointing for me. The environments were colourless, the first person acrobatics were cool but disorienting, the combat was meh, and don't get me started on how hideous that main character is.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

I was very dissapointed with the demo.

Firstly, the graphics are nowhere near the level I was expecting. The trailers released a few months back made the game look beautiful; a real visual marvel. Sadly, in-game it doesn't look nearly as polished.

I also noticed some serious screen tearing in some sections (wow alliteration) and as Greenmedic mentioned the textures could also use some work.

On to gameplay: The controls I found were slightly arkward. You mostly use the back buttons (L2, L1, R2 etc.) for movements like jumps and slides. This feels a little unusal given the game has a very platform feel to it, and were you would traditionally use the Triangle, X or square to move about. I found myself pressing the wrong buttons a few times and making simple mistakes that sent me hurtling hundreds of feet to my death.

The tutorial at the beginning of the demo is an absolute chore. I had hopes that there might be some sort of exploration element to the game, given that you're a free runner moving across the rooftops of a huge city. However, stray too far from the path and the game automatically says 'Failed' and returns you to your original spot. It completley ruins the fun factor. Fortunately, this set back is removed once you progress beyond the tutorial section but it doesn't stop the game -from what I've seen so far in the demo- from being a very linear experience.

I also dislike the fact that there is a complete lack of any body phyiscs in the game. It takes away from the immersion in my opinion. You don't have to add blood to a game, but when you shoot a guy's body on the ground I expect his body to twitch, not remain glued to the surface he fell on. A minor gripe perhaps, but I love little touches and I feel realistic body physics is now a standard element for this generation of games.

After completing the demo, I would only pick this game up once it reached a bargain price. I truly had high hopes for it, but with so many other good titles launching this holiday season I'll be giving this one a miss.

I'm looking forward to trying it. I have it downloaded, but I haven't been able to try it out yet.