By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will PS3 be ahead of Wii this week in Japan?

I would have been surprised if the PS3 had stayed below Wii this week, I mean a week with GTA and LBP, even in Japan would have boosted sales. However what does surprise me is how little PS3 sales were boosted, I mean this only brings them up into the 30K range. It would be like if Animal csrossing for Wii only brings it into the 40K range, very disappointing

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
I would have been surprised if the PS3 had stayed below Wii this week, I mean a week with GTA and LBP, even in Japan would have boosted sales. However what does surprise me is how little PS3 sales were boosted, I mean this only brings them up into the 30K range. It would be like if Animal csrossing for Wii only brings it into the 40K range, very disappointing

And what if the Wii had beaten the PS3 this week in Japan? Would you have claimed that it wasn't surprising? The PS3 just launched two western games (along with what I believe to be a re-release of Gran Turismo 5 Prologue) and it outsells the Wii. I'd say that a lot of it is the 80 gig, actually. And you don't think PS3 sales were boosted a lot? PS3 sales last week in Japan were 4k! 4k! That's ridiculously low. And now that it's in the 30k range and beating the Wii, it's "very disappointing?" Besides, Animal Crossing is a far bigger game that Grand Theft Auto 4, Little Big Planet, and a re-release of a demo.

Hey, can I make an example of what your post would have read like if the Wii was above the PS3? I'm so tempted.

@Montana, That's why your awesome , No bias

Eating crow and loving it :)

Those numbers rock!

MontanaHatchet said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

And what if the Wii had beaten the PS3 this week in Japan? Would you have claimed that it wasn't surprising? The PS3 just launched two western games (along with what I believe to be a re-release of Gran Turismo 5 Prologue) and it outsells the Wii. I'd say that a lot of it is the 80 gig, actually. And you don't think PS3 sales were boosted a lot? PS3 sales last week in Japan were 4k! 4k! That's ridiculously low. And now that it's in the 30k range and beating the Wii, it's "very disappointing?" Besides, Animal Crossing is a far bigger game that Grand Theft Auto 4, Little Big Planet, and a re-release of a demo.

Hey, can I make an example of what your post would have read like if the Wii was above the PS3? I'm so tempted.

No I would have stated that the PS3 was pathetic, if it couldn't rise up this week, if you look at the charts, GTA sold 122 K in Japan, that ndicates to me that even though it is a western style game, it still has a fan base in japan, 122K sales for a game should reult in improved sales for the system.  The question is how long does this bump last, and how strong it is, if the PS3 drops back down in the next week or two then it won't be much of an improvement, however if it can maintain this level for the rest of the season, then it might be something of note.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
DOATS1 said:
Darc Requiem said:
Soriku said:
Wow at PS3. Wonder where it'll be at next week.

Probably well ahead of the 360 and slightly behind the Wii next week. I think the PS3 will track ahead of the 360 until the 11/16 to 11/23 sales week when the TLR bundle hits. Depending on Wii sales level the 360 may be the number on selling console that week.

what about the resistance 2 release and the pes bundle for the ps3 in japan? i'm pretty sure they will move ps3's.

Resistance 2 isn't going to move any hardware in Japan and PES isn't going touch The Last Remnant. Infinite Undiscovery moved a lot of hardware and it hasn't gotten near the hype or build up of The Last Remnant. The Last Remnant is the first major Square Enix release for a HD console.

Well I'll be damned; the PS3 did get a small boost after all. Too bad it'll be gone in two weeks.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

lol it turned out to be true.

not sure who has mentioned who.. but i think i shall eat some crow, i said it wouldn't happen based on thinking the 7k LBP bundles were ps3 bundles, rather than ds bundles

Avinash_Tyagi said:

Wow.  Too much failure in this post.