By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 1UP.com reviews Resistance 2.

Kantor said:
vlad321 said:
Kantor said:
I haven't liked 1UP since they gave an A- to Wii Music.
So, Wii Music is better than Resistance 2? Pfft.

Yes. An alien shooter vs something that hasn't been done before? I would have thought the answer would be obvious. For the record I haven't played either yet. Can't wait to get my hands on both of them in the coming months though.

Army of Two hadn't been done before. Wii Sports hadn't been done before. Lair hadn't been done before.

Does that make them good?

Army of Two had been done before, that's why it was scoring so low with people, and Lair couldn't even get the controls down, which has been done before many times and has always been met with low low review scores.

Also, I haven't even seen Lair being played anywhere, but from what I have seen doesn't it look an awful lot like panzer dragoon?

P.S. Why do you even bother with an avatar from a game which proves the fact that consoles will never have as good games as the PC due to control limitations?

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network

Damage control in this thread is just beyond good. I rate this thread A!

Anything they score in the A+ through A- range is considered excellent, B+ through B- is good, C+ through C- is average, D+ through D- is bad, and F is terrible.

B+ means good. Also this review is an opinion! OPINION!

vlad321 said:
Kantor said:
vlad321 said:
Kantor said:

Yes. An alien shooter vs something that hasn't been done before? I would have thought the answer would be obvious. For the record I haven't played either yet. Can't wait to get my hands on both of them in the coming months though.

Army of Two hadn't been done before. Wii Sports hadn't been done before. Lair hadn't been done before.

Army of Two had been done before, that's why it was scoring so low with people, and Lair couldn't even get the controls down, which has been done before many times and has always been met with low low review scores.

Also, I haven't even seen Lair being played anywhere, but from what I have seen doesn't it look an awful lot like panzer dragoon?

P.S. Why do you even bother with an avatar from a game which proves the fact that consoles will never have as good games as the PC due to control limitations?

When did I say that I didn't like PC Gaming? I will happily admit that RTS can only work on a PC, and that has been proven time and time again (Populous on PS, Universe at War on 360). EndWar might break that pattern, but we'll see.

Warcraft III is firmly in my top ten favourite games of all time.

And you know what? I don't care. Let people believe that Wii Music is better than Resistance 2 because somebody tells them it is. Let them. I'm happy in my 'ignorance'.

EDIT: No game has ever been done before its release. Sure, it may have the same idea, the same genre as another game (are you saying that Half Life has been done before?) but no matter how much it copies from another game, it will be significantly different.

If you look at it, of course Wii Music has been 'done before' by your logic. Look at Rock Band.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
vlad321 said:
Kantor said:
vlad321 said:
Kantor said:

When did I say that I didn't like PC Gaming? I will happily admit that RTS can only work on a PC, and that has been proven time and time again (Populous on PS, Universe at War on 360). EndWar might break that pattern, but we'll see.

And you know what? I don't care. Let people believe that Wii Music is better than Resistance 2 because somebody tells them it is. Let them. I'm happy in my 'ignorance'.

Now you are ignoring the problem completely by focusing on a postscript. I also forgot to mention that Gears of War was where Army of Two got its base idea from.

Either post low scoring, never before done games that were executed well, or just let it be.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

ign 9.5 makes more sense but a game like resistance how cud u say no to that lol its jus damn fun

Around the Network

Remember guys different people review these games. Who cares anyway, it got 9.5 from IGN, that's the only site i care for really.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

Oh man, for those saying that Metacritic is bad, Gamerankings is just as bad. 1up gave R:FOM an A-  (http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3155184) and both metacritic and gamerankings translated that as an 85. Now, look what I saw over at Gamerankings:

I found that pretty funny, it's like they don't even go to the websites that they are taking their review from, even though they have a link posted directly to the review.

Many things have already been posted on this forum about why reviews DO NOT MATTER. In the end of the day if you are interested in a game you are most likly going to enjoy it weather someone gives it a 10 or a 0. If you have no interest in a game and it gets a perfect 10 from every reviewer ever, there is an extreamly high chance yoy will not find in enjoyment in the experiance.

I have already been through this before. I was absolutly set on getting Lair, and the reviews bashed it. I had not purchased a game in a while , and Ninja Gaiden Sigma had just came out. I had never been interested in it back on Xbox, but it just kept getting above 90 on every review so I decided to pick it up. After about 4 hours of playing through a story that makes no sense, and busting my ass every step of the way, I just said "this is way to much work, and I am getting nothing in return".

After that I decided I would try Oblivion. Not one bit interested in the game, but when it is rate AAA it must be good. Wrong, this is one of the biggest jokes of a game I have ever played. No cinimatic value, weapon upgrades mean nothing, voice overs are horrible, and the game is just boring as hell.

So after waseing money on these to pieces of garbage I said good day to reviews and picked up Lair. I was sucked in right away. The game had a story that I could get into, a theme I liked, aand a musical score that puts most movies to shame. Whoever thought the controls were bad was on crack. The only problem I had was, when a cut scene took place your dragon kept flying the whole time, so after it ended you were way of course.

Game reviews are all based on how hyped a game is, and how much a company wants to pay the site/ magazine for advertising. Sure the writters can say they don't get money hatted, but their boss sure as hell does. Plus first party games for all companies are rated way out of line. It is like these games have got to perform at a level that every bit of content should be touched by god. Only the select few get great scores cause the reviewers would give them blow jobs if they were real people. Make your own decisions, reviews are just a way to get a glimps of what the final product has, and get you hyped for the game.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

None of those are the reasons that reviews are not trustworthy.

vlad321 said:
Kantor said:
vlad321 said:
Kantor said:
vlad321 said:
Kantor said:

Now you are ignoring the problem completely by focusing on a postscript. I also forgot to mention that Gears of War was where Army of Two got its base idea from.

Either post low scoring, never before done games that were executed well, or just let it be.

And exactly how do you know it was executed well? Have you played it?

If not, you know no more about it than I do. The difference is that you're basing this on one review, while I am basing it on 14.

Neither of us can really know about this game until we have played it. The majority of the media seems to dislike it, and 1UP is a clear anomaly to this.

I have also not played Resistance 2. However, instead of being at the top in ratings, it is at the bottom.

These are facts. My conclusions are opinion. Disregard them if you want.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective