By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Mirrors egde demo is up on UK store. ( impressions).

Really good, controls are fluid and feel natural. It also looks nice. I really thought this mite be a fail but they seem to have pulled of a tough task.

assumption is the mother of all f**k ups 

Around the Network
Munkeh111 said:
I just ran from them

Me too

Currently Playing:  Saints Row 2 | Battlefield 2 | Company of Heroes

Recently Beaten: Gears of War | Super Mario Galaxy | Darwinia | MGS4 | Sam and Max Ep. 4, Portal | Mirror's Edge | Uncharted | Mass Effect

Looking Forward to: Alan Wake | Splinter Cell : Conviction | The Last Guardian | Batman: Arkham Asylum | SMG2 | Mass Effect 2 |

king_of_the_castle said:
Munkeh111 said:
I just ran from them

Me too

Well there is a trophy for completing it without using guns, so I am thinking of doing that. However, when I fired the pistol in training, it felt really good. The sound effect as you shot was really good imo

Just run run run!!

Its a MUST BUY now......Motorstorm PAcific Rift has been demoted!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

king_of_the_castle said:
Kantor said:

That was a cool idea for a game.
I think third person would have done wonders though. First is just too dizzying.
And the concept of the game, as well- why am I doing this exactly?

Not a buy for me. Great idea, not very well executed, imo.

EDIT: And the Sixaxis was horrible, but it's horrible in 9/10 games, so it can't really be faulted for that.

This holiday season is just too good for a game like Mirror's Edge to be successful, I think.

It didn't bother me, but I can see where it would bother some people, especially those who get sick with just regular FPS's.

FPS never makes me dizzy. But this strange combination of first person and the screen moving and rotating constantly, I could hardly concentrate.

Why did they go for first person here?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
Kantor said:
king_of_the_castle said:
Kantor said:

That was a cool idea for a game.
I think third person would have done wonders though. First is just too dizzying.
And the concept of the game, as well- why am I doing this exactly?

Not a buy for me. Great idea, not very well executed, imo.

EDIT: And the Sixaxis was horrible, but it's horrible in 9/10 games, so it can't really be faulted for that.

This holiday season is just too good for a game like Mirror's Edge to be successful, I think.

It didn't bother me, but I can see where it would bother some people, especially those who get sick with just regular FPS's.

FPS never makes me dizzy. But this strange combination of first person and the screen moving and rotating constantly, I could hardly concentrate.

Why did they go for first person here?

I think they wanted to make it more immersive.  I'm pretty sure they explain there reasons in an interview somewhere, I'll try to find it.

Recently Beaten: Gears of War | Super Mario Galaxy | Darwinia | MGS4 | Sam and Max Ep. 4, Portal | Mirror's Edge | Uncharted | Mass Effect

Looking Forward to: Alan Wake | Splinter Cell : Conviction | The Last Guardian | Batman: Arkham Asylum | SMG2 | Mass Effect 2 |

Dammit! Why do I have to work?

(Conscience : To pay for your games silly)
(Me: Shut up!)

I really want to try this demo now. I currently have zero games on my Must Buy list, I really want this game to make it there.

Signature goes here!

@ Kantor, try to focus on the dot in the middle of the screen, its there to distract you from motion sickness.

This game has some fantastic artistic direction, even though I don't like FPS game much on console due to control, I can feel myself getting into this, I might get it, but not this year unfrotunately, there are FAR too many must have for this to get my attention until well into the new year.

Good to see EA spearheading innovation, their image has certainly changed a lot in the past year.

Here's one comment I found on why they went that direction:

Patrick Soderlund, General Manager of EA DICE, commented: "We are a studio that believes in taking risks and taking games in new directions. We made the sandbox experience viable and enjoyable in Battlefield and now, we are looking to do something radical with the traditional established mechanics of first person movement."

Senior producer, Owen O'Brien, commented: "We want to change the way that players are able to move in first person. No more restrictions, no more being blocked by simple barriers such as walls and fences. We want to enable the player to move like a real person, with the ability to run, jump, vault and slide in a way that has never been seen before in a first person game."

I think the first person does make it seem more like a chase, and I really think it works well, though the roll is disorienting

I too love the art design