By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Shooter Genre

Legend11 said:

@Sqrl

Metroid Prime has received a lot of credit. It just seems like fans of Metroid Prime feel slighted because many console FPS fans choose Halo over it which makes sense since it's actually a FPS with multiplayer. It also seems like fanboyism on the part of Nintendo fans who can't accept the fact that there are a significant amount of people that prefer a competitor's game over theirs in a similar genre. It makes about as much sense as NHL 2008 fans getting mad at Madden 2008 fans for not giving their game credit or trying to force them to say Madden is superior, I mean what's the point if they're basically different types of games?

The original question has been answered several times in this thread and fans of Metroid Prime should just accept the answer given and move on. Enjoy the game you have instead of getting angry because it's not getting the same amount of spotlight as another game in a similar genre. Please stop trying to tell fans of one game that another is superior, it getting old.

So is changing the subject of the thread something you do often then? What are you basing your statements on? At what point did anyone give you the impression they were annoyed with people who choose halo "over" MP3. See this isn't a one over the other type of deal. It's about recognizing both games are great games.

See I think what happened here is someone mentioned Halo, and you couldn't let the pinnacle of your existance be soiled by the utterance of MP in the same sentence so you made it into a competition in your mind. Maybe you should reread the thread and you might realise that nobody was attacking Halo like you seem to believe. This thread was about elevating MP not tearing down Halo.

As for your last paragraph, this is a thread for discussion. People are supposed to talk about the subject not just read one person's opinions and "move on" as you would have them do. If people just accepted what someone else told them on this forum it would be a pretty boring place. For the record, I did enjoy MP and I enjoyed Halo multiplayer. It seems the only one getting angry here is you.

PS - Please feel free to highlight the part of my post that made you write the following little gem as your closing line in responce to me....

"Please stop trying to tell fans of one game that another is superior, it getting old."

Seriously, I defy you to point out where I said MP is better than Halo. But you can't because I didn't.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

OFF: When I come to thread I expected some discussion about the shoot'em-up genre that's almost dead, opposite of FPS unfortunatelly =(.

I would love to see Ikaruga 2 [Radiant Silvergun 3], *new* Shikigami no Shiro, and all about this.

Anyways, keep going on your Halo vs. Metroid discussion ^_^.

^Click on cards to level'em up!!!^ =D

Halo vs metroid

the battle begins as samus and master chief make a son and a daughter they are then called master chief and samus like there fathers before them, they then shoot evil creatures trying to destroy a planet. They meet each other, and the process is repeated over and over again.

mM
leo-j said:
Halo vs metroid

the battle begins as samus and master chief make a son and a daughter they are then called master chief and samus like there fathers before them, they then shoot evil creatures trying to destroy a planet. They meet each other, and the process is repeated over and over again.

I might play that game....what system is it for? lol

To Each Man, Responsibility

Playstation 3. I'm sure. You can bet.

^Click on cards to level'em up!!!^ =D

Around the Network
ItsaMii said:
Legend11 said:
Well it would help if your question actually made any sense. Both Halo 1 and Metroid Prime got a score of 97 on Metacritic (Halo 1 based on 68 reviews, Metroid Prime based on 70 reviews), yet you post making it sound like Halo didn't receive reviews as good as Metroid Prime, had you actually did even a little research instead of just going by your personal opinion you would have realized why it may appear to others that you're just trying to piss on the Halo franchise.

Links:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox/halo

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/gamecube/metroidprime

Halo - 97 and 83

Metroid - 97 and 86

the difference between critic ratings for the two games is 0, for users (meaning, random people on the internet who cast a vote) it's 3 out of 100.  if you really think that's a big deal, i can hop on ten computers real quick and even it out for you.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Sqrl said:

So is changing the subject of the thread something you do often then? What are you basing your statements on? At what point did anyone give you the impression they were annoyed with people who choose halo "over" MP3. See this isn't a one over the other type of deal. It's about recognizing both games are great games.

I never changed the subject of the thread and both games have had good recognition, just look at their respective scores.  The original author was wondering why some FPS fans "don't mention Metroid Prime in the same breath as Halo" and the answer that has been repeated throughout the thread is multiplayer which is important to many FPS fans.

You also seem to think I'm a Halo fanboy but the truth is that I was just stating the obvious and that doesn't make me a fanboy.  I was also pointing out that they both received amazing reviews (I mean lets be honest anything that averages greater than 90 on metacritic is a great game since it's a sample of *many* videogame magazines and websites).

Anyways hopefully this thread dies down because both games are good in their own ways and I'm sure Metroid Prime 3 will get lots of praise for it's new control system just as I'm sure Halo fans will enjoy Halo 3.

sinha said:
ItsaMii said:
Legend11 said:
Well it would help if your question actually made any sense. Both Halo 1 and Metroid Prime got a score of 97 on Metacritic (Halo 1 based on 68 reviews, Metroid Prime based on 70 reviews), yet you post making it sound like Halo didn't receive reviews as good as Metroid Prime, had you actually did even a little research instead of just going by your personal opinion you would have realized why it may appear to others that you're just trying to piss on the Halo franchise.

Links:

Halo - 97 and 83

Metroid - 97 and 86

the difference between critic ratings for the two games is 0, for users (meaning, random people on the internet who cast a vote) it's 3 out of 100. if you really think that's a big deal, i can hop on ten computers real quick and even it out for you.

You are right. That is if you ignore 4 of my 6 examples. My point was to show the disparity between user and professional reviewers. In some games the difference is not so big Zelda TP (95 and 94) shenmue (89 and 93). Bigger disparity may mean that the reviewers overhyped a game or had some other reasons to rate it so high (like the company funding the site with ad money). There is another issue you have overlooked. You need a e-mail adress to vote on the metacritic. You vote, them log on your e-mail and confirm it. It is not random voting, it takes some time and fanboys and trolls do not do this most of the time. Here on VGchartz anyone votes and may vote several times so I do not think you should take this site model into account.

Look at Gamefaqs if you think these sources are biased and make an average on all the user reviews.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox/review/472132.html

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox/review/562116.html

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/review/447244.html

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/review/589573.html

I am not trying to start a "which game is better" thread here, that was Legend11 misdoing and I gave up trying to use facts or arguments against him a long time ago. I just agree with the OP that the MP is underated (do not get so much attention). I would say that is because HALO is some sort of socio-cultural phenomenon in the USA. There is all the Red vs Blue episodes, pop references to HALO, celebrities that kick ass at HALO, HALO championships. HALO is the Mario or Sonic of M$.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

thetonestarr said:

But, multiplayer does seem to be the deciding factor when considering games AS just FPS. If it's got good multiplayer, it's a good FPS. If it doesn't, well, then it's not.

I strongly disagree with this poster, and all of the others who shared this opinion.

Quite arguably the best FPS of all time is Half-Life 2.  It had no multiplayer.  Oh wait, it had Half-Life 2 deathmatch, I almost forgot!  Oh I just logged in and there are like 12 people playing.

Half life 2 has terrible multiplayer yet it is regarded as one of the best FPS of all time.

Also, how good can Halo and Halo 2 really be.  Howcome once they are ported to PC they get miserable ratings?  Sure it's been out for a couple years, but true great games are timeless; True great games last the test of time.  If anything, Halo should get better scores because its on a console with a superior control scheme for it's game mechanics.  I guess once the hype has died down (after 3 years) people truly realize how mediocre and bland the game is.

^^ I just wanted to make a couple points that fit in with this discussion.  Now I'm out.

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout
ItsaMii said:
sinha said:
ItsaMii said:
Legend11 said:

Links:

Halo - 97 and 83

Metroid - 97 and 86

the difference between critic ratings for the two games is 0, for users (meaning, random people on the internet who cast a vote) it's 3 out of 100. if you really think that's a big deal, i can hop on ten computers real quick and even it out for you.

You are right. That is if you ignore 4 of my 6 examples.

Well, you didn't start this thread. The original post says:

"Halo is considered to be better than Metroid Prime. MP consistently achieved higher ratings than Halo, generally saw a longer lifespan and IMO was more intuitive and original than Halo was, yet it is never mentioned in the same breath as Halo."

It mentions 2 games, not 6, and those two games have the EXACT SAME METASCORE: 97.

"There is another issue you have overlooked. You need a e-mail adress to vote on the metacritic. You vote, them log on your e-mail and confirm it. It is not random voting, it takes some time and fanboys and trolls do not do this most of the time."

You're right, and I only have 6 email addresses, so I'd have to create 4 more. And although I'm just making a theoretical point, I'm sure at least some fanboys (such as those who refer to Microsoft as "M$") must actually take the time to do similarly idiotic and meaningless things.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick