By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Shooter Genre

Double post, sorry.

Games i'm currently playing:

Around the Network

I think Metroid Prime would have sold better if the kind of people who bought the Gamecube were interested in FPS's. And if it, duh, had multiplayer.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

scanning? collecting info? all good shooters should have this, like getting all the info in Black leads to addt'l briefings for the next lvl. they should NOT have messed with metroid...

thetonestarr said:
Legend11 said:
Multiplayer FTW :) Also I feel the single player campaign of Halo 1 is as good as any of the other great games people mention (like Metroid Prime).

ha. don't know where your head's been.

The major difference is that Metroid Prime is much more adventure and puzzle. Halo's single player campaign doesn't even compete in depth or detail.

Halo's is just plain FPS - shoot 'em up and keep trucking. Just like every other FPS, but perhaps done a little better, at least.

But, multiplayer does seem to be the deciding factor when considering games AS just FPS. If it's got good multiplayer, it's a good FPS. If it doesn't, well, then it's not.

That's why everybody would probably consider Hunters a better FPS than Echoes, and obviously why Halo/Halo2 are considered some of the very best FPS out there.

BTW, Halo 1 multiplayer is infinitely better on PC. Just sayin'. 

I played through Halo 1 and beat every level on legendary and I stand by my statement that it's as fun as the best FPS and other games.

But lets be honest, Metroid Prime 3 is an action/adventure while Halo is a FPS so to bash Halo for not being an action/adventure game is cheap.  What next are we going to compare platformers and sports games and bash sports games for not having platforms to jump on?  This entire thread is ridiculous and seems like it's just someone's attempt to piss on the Halo franchise.  There's a reason why it's so popular and it's not hype, because at the end of the day when people are spending many hours (in many cases hundreds if not thousands) it becomes obvious that the reason for the popularity isn't hype.

Nairu said:
thetonestarr said:
Legend11 said:
Multiplayer FTW :) Also I feel the single player campaign of Halo 1 is as good as any of the other great games people mention (like Metroid Prime).

ha. don't know where your head's been.

The major difference is that Metroid Prime is much more adventure and puzzle. Halo's single player campaign doesn't even compete in depth or detail.

Halo's is just plain FPS - shoot 'em up and keep trucking. Just like every other FPS, but perhaps done a little better, at least.

But, multiplayer does seem to be the deciding factor when considering games AS just FPS. If it's got good multiplayer, it's a good FPS. If it doesn't, well, then it's not.

That's why everybody would probably consider Hunters a better FPS than Echoes, and obviously why Halo/Halo2 are considered some of the very best FPS out there.

BTW, Halo 1 multiplayer is infinitely better on PC. Just sayin'. 

Thats my point, MP was a FPA and was a refreshing change from the endless shooting, required you to use your brain a lot of the time and also implemented new ideas very very well.

It has no multiplayer? Bah it really should, online would help things too sadly.

So what next, are you going to compare Madden 2008 to a platformer and bash Madden for not having platform elements?  Why not an rpg to Madden and bash it for not having magic and monsters in it.  It's useless to compare different genres.

Around the Network

Ok, well explain how they would have implemented the original 2D Metroid gameplay in a 3D environment without making it the way that it was, i mean obviously its only your opinion but in mine i think they perfected it in the way that they perfected Mario's change to 3D or Zelda's.

And Akuma, i bought a GC and i am interested in FPS...

"seems like it's just someone's attempt to piss on the Halo franchise"
Yes because i havent stated continuously that i sincerely enjoy the Halo series and that it is one of the best FPS games of all time.
The thread wasnt to make any point whatsoever like that Legend, it was an attempt to understand what makes a shooter popular (and yes Metroid is a shooter) and what doesnt, just strange that a game with higher ratings gets lower critical acclaim, thats all. Just because you dont understand the question, dont flame the thread.

Probably best to close this thread as it has descended into flaming which wasnt the original intention.

Well it would help if your question actually made any sense. Both Halo 1 and Metroid Prime got a score of 97 on Metacritic (Halo 1 based on 68 reviews, Metroid Prime based on 70 reviews), yet you post making it sound like Halo didn't receive reviews as good as Metroid Prime, had you actually did even a little research instead of just going by your personal opinion you would have realized why it may appear to others that you're just trying to piss on the Halo franchise.

Links:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox/halo

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/gamecube/metroidprime

"If we talk about the great console FPS shooters, we always talk about the Goldeneye's and the Halo's. I understand that these games are classics and many of the FPS's we see today probably wouldnt exist without their revolutionary style and control. "

Hmmm yes, that makes it sound like i was slating Halo. But yeah i probably could have phrased it better, my point was that even though Halo was rated marginally lower than MP in ratings on an average from games websites, it was always the one that was claimed as being the best FPS of last gen even though whenever i raised MP as being just as good, everyone i talk to laughs it off as an average game. My point was trying to understand why people had this perception and what made a shooter great.