By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Popzart.com interviews Jack Thompson

@Kytiara - Aren't you? Or just all of them? (Only half serious, since I assume you are the same.)

Be fair here, people. Jack Thompson may be one to throw the baby out with the bath-water (in tending to ignore the artistic aspect of mature games due to the mature content), but let's not commit the crime of not getting rid of the bath-water at all. That baby needs to dry off. That is, you don't have to defend all video games just because you're a gamer. If no video game can do wrong by the gaming community, we're going to end up justifying anything. Take a step back and notice the trend of increasingly violent/sexual games and decide when too much is too much. There is such a thing as going too far, don't you think?

If his only goal actually is simply trying to keep mature games out of the hands of children, why are we trying to cut off his nads? (IF that is all he wants, as he says, since many other indirect sources say he wants to kill video games completely. But why would he misrepresent his own goals?)

This article really does shed some light on the real Jack Thompson; I'm not his biggest fan, to be sure, and he's definitely made some bad decisions and stupid mistakes (and I disagree with several of his claims), but I think we do need to be mature about the subject and actually attempt to process the facts instead of name calling and using his religious convictions as a launch-pad for attacks on him (Honestly, is he actually a religious "fanatic", or just religious?).

And for God's sake, what is with people sending this guy death threats and cussing him out and all this? Why would we give him the ammo? We all want games to be taken seriously and to be considered art by the general population, but then when it comes to representing the gaming community we act like children. Sorry rabbit, art is for adults.

And this guy is even willing to admit that there are games that can be considered art, that are beautiful and moving. Hello? This guy isn't the devil some want us to believe he is. We can at least give him that.

"Whenever you find a man who says he doesn't believe in a real Right and Wrong, you will find the same man going back on this a moment later."   -C.S. Lewis

"We all make choices... but in the end, our choices... make us."   -Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Prediction: Wii passes 360 in US between July - September 2008. (Wii supply will be the issue to watch, and barring any freak incidents between now and then as well.) - 6/5/08; Wow, came true even earlier. Wii is a monster.

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
http://gamepolitics.com/?s=Jack+Attack

first 4 links. Read what GamePolitic's responses to Jackass Thompson

Funny you should mention that.

My man tried REPEATEDLY to get him to address Jack's claims in an interview with the guys from GamePolitics.com but they kept refusing. We were always gonna let the other side defend themselves but the guy from there didn't even wanna do that. We weren't gonna let Jack talk with those kinds of words without being fair and letting the accused party have their say.

Here's the last line in that JT story.

"Editor's Note:
In the interest of fairness, while interviewing Attorney Jack Thompson several statements were made toward GamePolitics.com political editor Dennis McCauley.  Attempts to contact Mr. McCauley were initially successful, and from this an interview regarding Mr. Thompson's allegations towards GamePolitics.com was agreed upon and sent to Mr. McCauley.  Upon receiving our questions, Mr. McCauley declined to continue with the interview."

http://www.popzart.com/index.php?page=view&topic=851&side=3

My man, Mr. Universal, doesn't understand why he refused to address Jack's claims. Popzart definitely made every attempt to be even-handed in all this and let every side speak their piece. Nobody was pitting anybody against anybody. It was simply a matter of fairness. Why let someone run you down without giving you a chance to speak your side?

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

@johnlucas - I noted that as well, and unfortunately for GP it seems to jive with what Jack Thompson claimed about the quality of the journalism and the balls his media opponents seem to lack. Instead of really getting into the issue, he simply cherry-picks from the article from the comfort of his desk. Rather disappointing, Mr. McCauley.

"Whenever you find a man who says he doesn't believe in a real Right and Wrong, you will find the same man going back on this a moment later."   -C.S. Lewis

"We all make choices... but in the end, our choices... make us."   -Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Prediction: Wii passes 360 in US between July - September 2008. (Wii supply will be the issue to watch, and barring any freak incidents between now and then as well.) - 6/5/08; Wow, came true even earlier. Wii is a monster.

McCauley's points are still valid nonetheless...

It would have been more satisfying to see them talk in an interview, but I have a feeling Jack would have danced around some answers anyway...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

He attacks FPSs all the time, which annoys me.

I suppose when he starts attacking platformers like Mario, we'll know he's truly insane.

Still, it's just the fact that calls all gamers "idiot videogamers" and such...it's so ridiculous that he gets away with that stuff...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

@BenKenobi - Haha, yeah if he goes after Mario his head shall be mine. That's the line.

And I also agree that any generalizations he makes about gamers are uninformed and ignorant at best, and that if he wants his message to be better received he should try his best not to put down gamers who might otherwise agree with the more reasonable aspects of his mission.

Ok, I still haven't read it yet (I will, just not quite yet), but I do have two more quick questions.

1. Did they as him about how The Florida Bar Association is currently seeking sanctions against Thompson for inappropriate conduct?

2. Did they ask him why he's such a human douche? And I ask that only because of this specific incident  - 

Thompson gave Janet Reno a letter at a campaign event requesting that she check a box to indicate whether she was homosexual, bisexual, or heterosexual. Thompson said that Reno then put her hand on his shoulder and responded, “I’m only interested in virile men. That’s why I’m not attracted to you.”[10][11] He filed a police report accusing her of battery for touching him. 

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

stof said:

2. Did they ask him why he's such a human douche? And I ask that only because of this specific incident -

Thompson gave Janet Reno a letter at a campaign event requesting that she check a box to indicate whether she was homosexual, bisexual, or heterosexual. Thompson said that Reno then put her hand on his shoulder and responded, “I’m only interested in virile men. That’s why I’m not attracted to you.”[10][11] He filed a police report accusing her of battery for touching him.

Priceless.  You know you're repulsive as a human being when Janet Reno turns you down.

To Each Man, Responsibility

@stof - Wow. Did that actually happen? Hah, that is too funny. But I might be tempted to file a police report myself if that beast laid a hand on me. She identifies her prey by touch, you know. That's not just a hand on the shoulder; that's a promise to have you for dinner later.

(I'm reminded of Will Ferrell's impersonation of her on SNL.)

Janet Reno's Dance Party ftw.

PS3: 5.51m/51w, avg 108,039/w (up 239)
360: 12.93m/102w, avg 126,764/w (up 625), leads PS3 by 7.42m (up 70k), avg lead 18,725/w (up 386)
Wii: 13.52m/51w, avg 265,098/w (dn 1,102), leads PS3 by 8.01m (up 90k), avg lead 157,059/w (dn 1,341)

If 360 sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass 360 by...
01/08: (008w) +875.8%, 04/08: (021w) +344.4%, 07/08: (034w) +219.3%, 10/08: (047w) +163.5%
01/09: (060w) +131.8%, 04/09: (073w) +111.4%, 07/09: (085w) +098.1%, 10/09: (099w) +086.7%
If Wii sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass Wii by...
01/08: (008w) +1072.%, 04/08: (021w) +498.4%, 07/08: (034w) +363.4%, 10/08: (047w) +303.1%
01/09: (060w) +269.0%, 04/09: (073w) +246.9%, 07/09: (085w) +232.6%, 10/09: (099w) +220.3%
If PS2 sales freeze, Wii sales increases needed to pass PS2 (as of Mar07, 108.4m) by...
2008: (008w) +4373.8%, 2009: (060w) +0496.5%, 2010: (112w) +0219.6%, 2011: (165w) +0116.9%
2012: (217w) +0064.9%, 2013: (269w) +0033.1%, 2014: (321w) +0011.5%, 2015: (376w) -0004.8%
At +0% it will pass it in 358w, the week ending September 19th, 2014, at an age of 409w (7y44w).
Current age of PS2: 7y37w.

Last update: Week ending November 3, 2007