By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Popzart.com interviews Jack Thompson

@PlagueOfLocust

Yeah...if he didn't stop calling all gamers idiots...I have a feeling at least some of them might understand what he's trying to do. But grouping Mario, CounterStrike, Manhunt 2, Sims, etc players into one "idiot" group is just ridiculous.

I can understand if he doesn't want violence in videogames...I can sorta understand that as a Christian myself...but you don't do that by blaming videogames and using victims' families and their situation to push your agenda...it's just stupid that the guy's still allowed to practice law...

As a Christian, dealing with violence, sex, etc in the media is all about discernment. It's kind of a fuzzy term for me, since I love everything from zombie flicks to action movies, from Mario to Counter Strike...but there's ways to draw Christian themes from a lot more than explicitly Christian media.

Anyway, most of the games I play are for pure enjoyment and/or time wasters...and as such should be taken in moderation anyway. I consider secular videogames, movies, and books as great time-wasters, but they're just that. I can spend my time living for God at all times, and watching such movies or games aren't bad for me, but they're not necessarily beneficial to my time either. But that's debatable I guess...going to movies and playing games with friends is a great way to interact with others...and keeping close friendships with others is very important for my faith...so that's definitely a plus for games.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

Hey, a heads up guys.

Mr. Universal just messaged me and say he is preparing a rebuttal to GamePolitics.com over the interview issue.

He's gonna try to have it up by tonight or at most by tomorrow.

So stay tuned kids.

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

johnlucas said:

Hey, a heads up guys.

Mr. Universal just messaged me and say he is preparing a rebuttal to GamePolitics.com over the interview issue.

So stay tuned kids.

John Lucas

Nevermind Jackrabbit Thompson - what do YOU have to say about MGS4 being canned for the PS3???

There were plenty of crows sacrificed in your honor, you know? 

your mother said:
johnlucas said:

Hey, a heads up guys.

So stay tuned kids.

John Lucas

Nevermind Jackrabbit Thompson - what do YOU have to say about MGS4 being canned for the PS3???

You didn't see my reply to ckmlb?

Perfect Dark Zero was showcased for Spaceworld 2000, a Nintendo event.

Where did we see Perfect Dark Zero when it was all said and done? Not Nintendo that's for sure.

Take a look at your "Size Matters" signature and reference your quip about the PS3 to understand why my prediction will come true.

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

@johnlucas - Looking forward to it.

@BenKenobi88 - I'm in the same boat as you, really. If it wasn't clear, I'm a Christian myself, and I deal with the same dilemma in trying to justify my enjoyment of certain violent games/movies in the face of my faith. Resident Evil 4 has its gory moments, for instance, but I love that game with a passion. And you're right, these types of media aren't necessarily good for us, but if we're mature enough as individuals then we have to imagine that any damage done is really very minimal (I'm inclined to believe so, anyway). However, when a game is created almost solely for the purpose of pushing the envelope with violent and/or sexual content, a red flag autta go up. I'm not completely sure Manhunt 2 falls into that category, but if the AO rating it earned is at all reasonable then it probably does.

But if nothing else, we definitely need to hold the industry responsible for marketing/selling to children. It's just too bad that one of the big names fighting for this is also at times a complete botch-job artist. It makes his whole cause look bad. This interview, at least, sheds a better light on him and his cause, and if he can remain as reasonable from now on as he seems in the interview, maybe he'll garner a bit more support. Otherwise I don't know how he'll thrive.

"Whenever you find a man who says he doesn't believe in a real Right and Wrong, you will find the same man going back on this a moment later."   -C.S. Lewis

"We all make choices... but in the end, our choices... make us."   -Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Prediction: Wii passes 360 in US between July - September 2008. (Wii supply will be the issue to watch, and barring any freak incidents between now and then as well.) - 6/5/08; Wow, came true even earlier. Wii is a monster.

Around the Network
johnlucas said:
your mother said:
johnlucas said:

Hey, a heads up guys.

So stay tuned kids.

John Lucas

You didn't see my reply to ckmlb?

Perfect Dark Zero was showcased for Spaceworld 2000, a Nintendo event.

Where did we see Perfect Dark Zero when it was all said and done? Not Nintendo that's for sure.

Take a look at your "Size Matters" signature and reference your quip about the PS3 to understand why my prediction will come true.

John Lucas

I did see the reply, but I don't know how that relates to your claim/prediction that:

"Not only WON’T Metal Gear Solid 4 stay exclusive to the PlayStation 3...

BUT it won’t even SHOW UP on the PlayStation 3 AT ALL."

This is in reference to your article on popzart: http://www.popzart.com/?page=view&topic=267.

Again, what is your stance on Metal Gear Solid 4 not appearing for the PS3 when it has already been declared via the joint Sony-Konami event that it would be in fact an exclusive PS3 title? (It's not whether it may or not appear on the 360 at a later date - even I agree to that - it's the part about the game not even appearing on the PS3 we are discussing.)