By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony sold 16.84 million PS3 units worldwide

PS3 will pas 360 may in the middle of the next year. At least in his timelife.

MY ZELDA COLLECTION
Around the Network

wow rol, you actually are useful :P
thx for clearing that up!
it's just that sometimes people give us "newbs" one word answers and then berate us for not understanding how one word fits into the whole picture, but I can understand if said explainer has done so a thousand times before.
I don't find anyone at fault, it is just frustrating. :D

Linkzmax said:
theprof00:
I'd suggest scrolling up the page and reading kirby's post on VGChartz's methodology. Sony's (and MS's and Nintendo's) financial statements legally have to report 100% factual information. Firstly, there is no 100% coverage of all sales to consumer so that would be impossible to report. Secondly, the consumer is not Sony's customer, instead the retailers are.

Sony will be making shipments(sales to retailers) weekly to meet holiday demand. There's also a term, stockpiling, which means Sony has been holding back some of their produced units in preparation to sell more than they're able to produce in a single month for times of high demand, such as the holidays. This was also mentioned in their report as an increase in inventory.

Hope that helps clear some things up.

thanks, yeah i read the methodology a few times in fact.

I figured out that first part of your post just before you posted it, and the stockpiling thiing i guess was at the core of the matter.

thanks for taking the time linkz

Do we have to go through this every freaking quarter?

PhalanxCO said:

sorry if I was a bit harsh but this is exactly what i think about the whole deal

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

i kinda saw that in your responses kirby, which is why i think phranch got upset.
that is pretty funny though:
"Do we have to go through this every freaking quarter?"

its an endless loop. Just know that the people you tell now will tell others later. So you won't have to go through with it. someone else will :P

PhalanxCO said:

Sadly, it seems so.

Do you really think Sony and the other companies would pay guys like NPD, Media Create, and GFK to track software and hardware sales if they knew how many gamers were buying their stuff from Best Buy?

They have no idea without talking to the stores or retailers its not like they have magical powers.

All they know is "X store ordered Y amount". So to them, it is sold. But for our purposes, it is shipped.

You don't go buy milk from a farmer do you? You go to a store so how would the farmer know who buys his milk? He hires someone to track it.

Same thing with shipments and sales guys.

The 16.84m is on Sony's Financial Site. Just add the numbers in the quarters and know that it is shipments for periods ending every three months. Data under the Q4 header is for the three months ending March 31 in 2009/2008/2007 respectively.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

i love how all the nintendo fanboys are jumping in saying that its shipped and not sold to consumers without any proof.
its quite possible that vgchartz were slightly off, or it coulde be the same for sony.

deathgod33 said:
i love how all the nintendo fanboys are jumping in saying that its shipped and not sold to consumers without any proof.
its quite possible that vgchartz were slightly off, or it coulde be the same for sony.

Maybe you should actually read the reports before foolishly opening your mouth.