By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony sold 16.84 million PS3 units worldwide

I'm surprised people freak out over the PS3 numbers when i quick look at the other threads show that we are massively undertracking the PS2 and PSP.

Around the Network
megaman2 said:
ps3 undertracked confirmed

as always

If anything its overtracked. Shipments should be nearer 17m for what we had through Sept 30.

PS2 and PSP sellthrough are 10% below shipments. Again, for those systems which have sold so much more than PS3, the distribution is going to be unequal. A town of 5,000 will be satisfied by now, and may have extra units sitting on shelves for months or years (in the case of PS2) while a booming town of 10,000,000 will continue to need shipments at some stores despite having excess in others. Its not like the 133m PS2s shipped vs. the 121m PS2s sold are in one region over three months. It means that over the course of eight years, across thousands of stores worldwide, a few units extra of PS2 have sat on shelves and that not all of that inventory has cleared even though the system still sells well in some places.

If you assumed 30,000 stores selling PS2s with extra stock every day since PS2 launched * 365 days * 8 years *0.15 extra units on shelves each day you'd get 13.14m 'extra' units which frankly works out almost perfectly and I just estimated those figures.

30,000 * 365 * 0.15 * 8

At some point, probably 150m units shipped in 2010, Sony will stop making PS2s and those extra units will be moved around the retail channel and sold too.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Good for sony and the ps3.

Technically, shouldn't thesource be banned for calling someone an idiot, if someone else got banned for calling someone a fool today? :p

Around the Network

Are you telling me there are 13mil PS2 units sitting at retail, i'm not sure where you shop but at all store i have ever been to the PS2 supply is lower then the 360 supply. While stores always have massive amounts of Ds units, and our numbers will no doubt show that we are around 2mil different for the DS.

Yeah but PS2 has been out twice as long and it has sold more units it is available in more countries and in more stores. All of which point to higher stock being necessary.

Nintendo is also comically obsessed with money, and it costs alot to move extra units and to store them, so they'll avoid it all costs, even if it is a contributing factor to shortages for a while. Sony is more adamant about meeting demand, and then insuring they can handle future spikes which may or may not happen.

- Lao Tzu

good for sony but the number of PS3 2.43 million are these sold
or shiped??? like isaid before both comapnys lie

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

None of the companies lie its always shipped.

Sony sold 2.43m PS3s to stores. Those are Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft/EA etc customers. We buy from Walmart.

Again if the companies tracked sales to you and I there would not be a need for agencies like NPD that can charge $100,000+/year for sales by store, and we wouldnt be wasting our time running this site if the companies knew exactly how quickly their shipments were selling.

- Lao Tzu

Amazing number for a 600$ debut.

4 ≈ One