By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony sold 16.84 million PS3 units worldwide

theprof00 said:
Faxanadu said:
shipped to warehouse vs. sold to retail vs. sold to customer

Yes we get it. So get this, you seem to think the discrepancy between sold to retail and sold to customer is ~700k.

So in that case only 700k ps3's are on the shelves ww. I'm slightly confused, are you saying that some retailers buy the ps3's in advance, and that some retailers sell a product they haven't paid for themselves but are just holding on the shelf?

So what you're saying is, VGChartz overtracked the PS3?

But then again, these values were at the end of September, but I'm not sure how many PS3's sony can make in a month (so ~700K + 1 month production = what's sitting on store shelves).

Anyway, I'm a little surprised that people haven't rained hell down on these newbies, which is a good thing, for a while there I thought this forum was going down the crapper.

Around the Network

Kirby, your ignorance amazes me. I'm going to continue on these forums from here out as if you don't exist. I'll skip over every post you make, and when I'm responding to a post from someone who quoted you, I'll act like a blind idiot who mysteriously 'didnt see the quote!'.

I've seen that. I've read it. You still need to learn what the operators 'IF' and 'THEN' mean.

you guys shouldn't patronize us. we understand how it all works. we are just wondernig why you think that sony is giving us "sold to retailer" #'s instead of "sold to customer" #'s.
Even though, on the info you just quoted, it said factory to retail is a "shipped" number, and sony says they are only dealing in "sold" numbers.

CAL4M1TY said:
theprof00 said:
Faxanadu said:
shipped to warehouse vs. sold to retail vs. sold to customer

Yes we get it. So get this, you seem to think the discrepancy between sold to retail and sold to customer is ~700k.

So in that case only 700k ps3's are on the shelves ww. I'm slightly confused, are you saying that some retailers buy the ps3's in advance, and that some retailers sell a product they haven't paid for themselves but are just holding on the shelf?

So what you're saying is, VGChartz overtracked the PS3?

But then again, these values were at the end of September, but I'm not sure how many PS3's sony can make in a month (so ~700K + 1 month production = what's sitting on store shelves).

Anyway, I'm a little surprised that people haven't rained hell down on these newbies, which is a good thing, for a while there I thought this forum was going down the crapper.

funny how one person can really try to misunderstand.

let's take a step back to a month ago and look at your statement "(so ~700K + 1 month production = what's sitting on store shelves)." because we are now a month ago, let's take away that "+1 month production" so now we have 700k on store shelves. Was that so hard to understand?

And no I'm not saying VGC undertracked ps3. I'm saying it seems that is what this document is saying, and the only explanation i got was what barely qualified as a sentence. "shipped to warehouse vs sold to retail vs sold to customer"

I'm a little surprised that people haven't rained hell down on these oldies, because they say nothing, and what's more they say it in an arrogant tone.

Because Sony has sold them to Best Buy, Target etc

However, Best Buy has not sold some of them on

Around the Network

the point of my statement is,
If "sold to retail" makes up the discrepancy(+the question i asked about sold to retail vs shipped to retail)
Then that means only 700k ps3's were on store shelves on sept 29th or whatever.
Which by process of elimination means that it is undertracked because although the least possible outcome, it is the only possible outcome, from where i'm standing, because i know for a fact there are more than 700k ps3 in the wild. I would bet there is something like 3 million.

scottie said:
Because Sony has sold them to Best Buy, Target etc

However, Best Buy has not sold some of them on

Ok, thank you scottie.

What I'm wondering though is "are these the only companies that buy"?

Because 700k ps3s on store shelves seems very low. Even 1million would be low. Are there some stores who don't "buy" the product before selling it? Sort of like how i could sell pre-order content even if i haven't completely paid for it yet.

theprof00 said:
you guys shouldn't patronize us. we understand how it all works. we are just wondernig why you think that sony is giving us "sold to retailer" #'s instead of "sold to customer" #'s.
Even though, on the info you just quoted, it said factory to retail is a "shipped" number, and sony says they are only dealing in "sold" numbers.

Because everyone reports their sales in terms of sales to their customers.  Sony's customers are retailers not us the final consumer.  Sony can only know how many it has sold to retailers.  It cannnot know how many Game, Best Buy, Walmart, Tesco, etc have sold.  If Sony reports sales in its financial report the only possible logical conclusion is that it means shipped from Sony to retailers and not sold from retailers to final consumers.   

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

i will take your word for it rol that a little more than 1m is a good number.
Here sony was expecting to sell 6m by march and they only had 1m on the shelves. stupid sony.

ps3 undertracked confirmed