By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Starcrafts signature will shine! Xbox 360 will have > 20 90+ games xmas 09?

Squilliam said:
Million said:
I'm curious , does the 90+ rating improve the gameplay experience for you than a 89.9 game ? . Does a 89 rating cause some of the games coding to go faulty causing framrate problems and pop in issues ?. I guess opinion is most weapon for fanboys.

This obsession with 90+ Ratings is pointless and your probably only pushing it so hard because the XBOX 360 has the most 90+ rated games out of the 3, in truth I still think other consoles offer better gaming libarys regardless of what the reviewers give.

Uncharted 88
BloomBox 85
Ratchet and Clank 89
Resistance Fall of Man 86
Motorstorm 82 .

All the above are excellent games (10/10) imo but none scorred 90+ aggregate.

Bioshock 96

Portal 91

Call of Duty 4 94

Forza Motorsport 2 90

Braid 93

Would be considered an awesome collection, and they also all deservedly scored 90+ ratings. Whereas the games you listed had flaws which prevented them from reaching the same rating.

Hey I like to keep an eye on the scores. Its an awesome discovery to find another awesome game out there, and without Metacritic I would have missed out on quite a few gems - especially from the previous generations Like ICO and Shadow of the Collossus.

flippin heck this is getting confusing, portal is a better game than forza motorsport 2? a flagship racer is a lesser off game than an expansion pack?

i know you always put out metacritic list it certainly shows 360 having a higher collection of 90+ aggregated games out there but...................... just one question below

Blue Dragon

Condemned 2: Bloodshot

Condemned: Criminal Origins

Crash of the Titans

Dead Rising

Eternal Sonata

Kameo: Elements of Power

Lost Odyssey

Perfect Dark Zero

Spider-Man: Friend or Foe

Turok

can we have a confirmation from you that portal and braid should be purchased over the collection shown above^

because as you are putting it, a metacritic higher score makes that specific game lol the better game for the gamer.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network
aavidbacon said:
The aggregated reviews are good too separate the good games from the average, but should not be looked upon on close numbers, a 91 game is not necessarely worse than a 92. There some multiplats that have diferent numbers of reviews and because of that different ratings, but if you took the extra reviews the rating would be exactly the same. One example is Dead Space, that had less reviews in the Ps3 and a higher score because of that. So don´t take the metacritics so serious while comparing games between plataforms, expecially one that´s being out a year later. If in the 2009 winter the ps3 doesn´t have close to 18 games 90+, then you can come and gloat.

Hes not comparing it to other systems, he is just saying that the 360 has an awesome list of games, which is true imo

The "magical" 90+ aggregate score really doesn't mean much. That said, if the situation were reversed PS3 fans would gloat over it just as much as 360 fans do now.

And are people really knocking Braid? It may have been short, but it was also inexpensive - and while it lasted, it was the best gaming experience I've had so far this year. It deserves every point of its Metacritic score.

Great library continually growing for a great system. I do agree with several of the posts above mentioning that a score of >90 doesn't gage a great game very well. Some games I love, (Castle Crashers, LO) are below the so-called, "sweet spot" but are a couple of my favorite games.

Squilliam said:
Million said:
I'm curious , does the 90+ rating improve the gameplay experience for you than a 89.9 game ? . Does a 89 rating cause some of the games coding to go faulty causing framrate problems and pop in issues ?. I guess opinion is most weapon for fanboys.

This obsession with 90+ Ratings is pointless and your probably only pushing it so hard because the XBOX 360 has the most 90+ rated games out of the 3, in truth I still think other consoles offer better gaming libarys regardless of what the reviewers give.

Uncharted 88
BloomBox 85
Ratchet and Clank 89
Motorstorm 82 .

Bioshock 96

Portal 91

Call of Duty 4 94

Forza Motorsport 2 90

Braid 93

Would be considered an awesome collection, and they also all deservedly scored 90+ ratings. Whereas the games you listed had flaws which prevented them from reaching the same rating.

Hey I like to keep an eye on the scores. Its an awesome discovery to find another awesome game out there, and without Metacritic I would have missed out on quite a few gems - especially from the previous generations Like ICO and Shadow of the Collossus.

When you say flaws what are you referring too exactly ? . Gaming isn't an exact science you can't say Halo for example was 95% good and 5% flawed wheras new features in Halo 2 caused am improvement by 2.52% although less than stellar graphics in Halo 3 brought meant it scored 5% less than it would have done .

The true measure of what a "good game" is , is how the end user finds the experience, it's already been established that a "good game" is really subjective , I'm not saying Reviews aren't good indicators as I regularly look at reputable reviewers for an indication of the quality of a game for their but I wouldn't see aggregate opinion of less than a 100 reviewers as definitive( I wouldn't even care what popular opinion was concerning a particular game).

Does anyone look for reviews on say.... music albums ? I don't personaly I just search everything with the help of recomendations but really finding good entertainment is something you have to do for yourself.

Around the Network
Million said:
Squilliam said:
Million said:

Uncharted 88
BloomBox 85
Ratchet and Clank 89
Motorstorm 82 .

Bioshock 96

Portal 91

Call of Duty 4 94

Forza Motorsport 2 90

Braid 93

When you say flaws what are you referring too exactly ? . Gaming isn't an exact science you can't say Halo for example was 95% good and 5% flawed wheras Halo 2 improved by 2.52% .

The true measure of what a "good game" is , is how the end user finds the experience, it's already been established that a "good game" is really subjective , I'm not saying Reviews aren't good indicators as I regularly look at reputable reviewers for an indication of the quality of a game for their but I wouldn't see aggregate opinion of less than a 100 reviewers as definitive( I wouldn't even care what popular opinion was concerning a particular game).

Does anyone look for reviews on say.... music albums ? I don't personaly I just search everything with the help of recomendations but really finding good entertainment is something you have to do for yourself.

Your looking to much into it, there just a lot of games over a 9 and you can argue all you want but it is a good thing, I just means there quite a lot of good games, of cours games beneath a 9 can be good, but thats not the point.

Skeeuk said:
Squilliam said:
Million said:

Uncharted 88
BloomBox 85
Ratchet and Clank 89
Motorstorm 82 .

Bioshock 96

Portal 91

Call of Duty 4 94

Forza Motorsport 2 90

Braid 93

flippin heck this is getting confusing, portal is a better game than forza motorsport 2? a flagship racer is a lesser off game than an expansion pack?

i know you always put out metacritic list it certainly shows 360 having a higher collection of 90+ aggregated games out there but...................... just one question below

Blue Dragon

Condemned 2: Bloodshot

Condemned: Criminal Origins

Crash of the Titans

Dead Rising

Eternal Sonata

Kameo: Elements of Power

Lost Odyssey

Perfect Dark Zero

Spider-Man: Friend or Foe

Turok

can we have a confirmation from you that portal and braid should be purchased over the collection shown above^

because as you are putting it, a metacritic higher score makes that specific game lol the better game for the gamer.

Well considering that Portal especially and braid are seen by a majority of people who play then as "must play" games then yes because there are very few games you could purchase for $25 with the same value as a combination of Braid and Portal.

They may not be full games in the sense of a development budget, but they are fully great games which I encourage anyone to go out and play.  Development budgets don't make the game, its the experience.

So whilst I can't say that individually the experience in every game you play is going to be good. You can always apply your own values, and filter from the list the games that might appeal to you. Its a great starting place and the top of any list is usually the best place to start. A JRPG fan may add 10 points to the score of TOV before even considering the game, an FPS hater may think of the score of Gears of War 2 to be 10 points less than the stated Metacritic.

One thing I do find unifying about the top of the list, is that those are games which tend to breach the walls of their own genres and appeal to people outside of their specific genres. Which is why its great for people wanting to try out a new game. The games at the top of the list are the ones they are most likely to be able to appreciate as to get a high score a game has to resonate with a larger group of people.

This is also why its a good place to start when recomending games to people, new experiences, excellent polish, wide appeal beyond the genre are all features present in some form for every game at the top.

Tease.

Million said:

Uncharted 88
BloomBox 85
Ratchet and Clank 89
Motorstorm 82 .

A line needs to be drawn somewhere, is a 90 game better than an 89 game? not really ... is an 89 game better than an 88 game ... again not really ... I could go on.

I suppose if you want to set a more reasonable comparison you could put 80+ games, the 360 is far ahead in that leauge too.

Squilliam said:
Million said:

Uncharted 88
BloomBox 85
Ratchet and Clank 89
Motorstorm 82 .

Bioshock 96

Portal 91

Call of Duty 4 94

Forza Motorsport 2 90

Braid 93

Could you please tell me what "flaw" in Uncharted takes away the status of being a "must play" game? Cause I'd pose the argument that Uncharted is better than damn near every game on that list.

perpride said:
Squilliam said:
Million said:

Uncharted 88
BloomBox 85
Ratchet and Clank 89
Motorstorm 82 .

Bioshock 96

Portal 91

Call of Duty 4 94

Forza Motorsport 2 90

Braid 93

Could you please tell me what "flaw" in Uncharted takes away the status of being a "must play" game? Cause I'd pose the argument that Uncharted is better than damn near every game on that list.

and i'd agree with you. except with maybe call of duty 4. but yea, uncharted is definately a must have title, regardless of its score.