By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GT review of FABLE II

Munkeh111 said:
So what you are saying is that a Fable noob (me) will enjoy it much more than someone who played the first game?

Is this directed at me?

If so, yes. 

If you didn't play the first one, you'll love this one.  If you did, you'll like it, but you'll feel like you've already played the story (kinda), and the things you are able to do in this game should have been in the first one (like P.M. promised).

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
Munkeh111 said:
So what you are saying is that a Fable noob (me) will enjoy it much more than someone who played the first game?

Is this directed at me?

If so, yes. 

If you didn't play the first one, you'll love this one.  If you did, you'll like it, but you'll feel like you've already played the story (kinda), and the things you are able to do in this game should have been in the first one (like P.M. promised).

Yes and excellent

DMeisterJ said:
Munkeh111 said:

Is this directed at me?

If so, yes. 

Yeah, that's about the feeling I got.  Don't get me wrong, I'm still really enjoying the game and it's nice that Molyneax is finally delivering, but it's still Fable and what Fable should have been.

DMeisterJ said:

I mostly like the Real Estate and leveling up of the game. Using new spells, getting new powers, and raising prices of your houses/stores is so much fun.

I'm going to own Bowerstone before I'm done with the game so I can get the king title.

twesterm said:
DMeisterJ said:

I mostly like the Real Estate and leveling up of the game. Using new spells, getting new powers, and raising prices of your houses/stores is so much fun.

I'm going to own Bowerstone before I'm done with the game so I can get the king title.

That's what I'm trying to do now.  I almost have the market on a lock, just need to buy the weapons shop, two houses, and the bar.  Then I'm going to old Bowerstone.

Around the Network
Barozi said:
radha said:

Note: this is in general gaming because the game will come to PC. No fanboys and no flaming Please

simply lol

sry, but I can't take you seriou

Well no one commented for a while so i was thinking i alienated the entire VGC community with that note, but people have come out and comment, is just that when people go off topic and start debating about appreciations (something that is illogical because you cant tell some what they must like) i get depress and the thread fails.

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

twesterm said:

The game is coming to PC?  That's news to me.

Anyways, here are my thoughts so far (pretty far in the game):

Pros

• The story is good
  • There are some spots where they put in interesting spots to make decisions.  I'm trying to play a purely good character so I had to make a really tough decision and some sacricies (SPOILER In the spire I chose to disobey every time and lost a crapload of experience).
  • Combat is a button masher but it's still fun
  • It's still Fable-- even with all the improvements it's still Fable.  It's still a pretty linear world, though bigger, but that isn't a bad thing.  If you liked Fable you'll like this.
  • Your actions do have direct consequences on the world

Cons

• The dog is a pain in the ass.  You will be walking forward, your dog wil hang back, you'll get near a dig spot and the dog will bark.  You run back to the dog because he won't run to you but he was actually barking at a dig spot near you so you have to run forward again hoping the dog is with you and wait for him to find the dig spot again.
  • The dog can literally take up to 10 seconds to find properly find a dig spot, just long enough so it takes the same amount of time it takes to select the spade from the menu.  The dog will run up to the spot, walk in circles, and eventually find the dig spot so you can quick select your spade.
  • If your dog finds a dig spot or treasure and then enemies appear your dog won't help you fight.
  • Every time you dig or open a treasure chest there's a 5 second or so unskippable cut scene.  I HATE UNSKIPPABLE CONSTANTLY REPEATED CUT SCENES!  I understand why they did it (because you can get attacked and severly punished while opening or digging) but it still doesn't change the fact it sucks.  Let me skip the damn cut scene if there are no enemies around!
  • The animation team really dropped the ball on this game.  Your character constantly clips through the dog.  Hannah's hammer constantly clips through her head, when you walk into a wall it looks terrible, and so on.  It's sad but you constantly notice how terrible the animations are because of the lack of polish.
  • There doesn't seem to be as many titles and clothing options as the last one.  This just might be me going crazy
  • I'm not a big fan of the magic.  I mainly just use level 1 timestop and don't waist time charging higher level spells because it just takes so much time.
  • Troll fights are long and boring.  You essentially run in a circle using timestop if you have it and just shooting your ranged weapon.
  • There are some really long and boring wave fights.  You'll be waiting for an NPC to do something and enemies just keep coming and it gets really boring.
  • Experience orbs disappear if you don't grab them quick enough.  That means when the game throws 30 enemies in a row at you you have to stop every 10 or so enemies and collect experience and just take the hits.
  • One you find a weapon with two augment slots and get the ghoul and gold touch augments the game is simple.
  • Targeting people can be *very* finicky.

There's probably more but I have to go.  Despite all these gripes keep in mind that I very much like this game.  It's definitely worth a buy and I can't wait to play through a second time to play an evil character.

several of your points are issues from the original game such as the golden touch and goul.  the disappearing exp orbs, are a prior game thing too. 

I found magic to be far more usefull this time than las time, especially the lighting which is all i developed to begin with the highest power one makes wave enamies much easier... 

clipping seems to be depedent upon your console, i have seen none, but have had what i call the christ on cross floating glitch. 

i dont like non skipable cut scenes either, but the shortones like the chest dont bother me so much as i understand it to be the amount of time it would take to open the chest, i can see where skipping wuld be nice, but unless a cut scene takes longer than 20 seconds i dont think it needs a cut...... also on that what is up with the skip conversation not always skiping conversation. 

i agree on the limit of clothing, and titles, though i think they tried to make up for it with dye

One of the biggest new features i like is the money automatically going into your account and not having to go around picking it up... i always thought that was anoying... also the aditional quests i hope they add more through dlc

also id like more augments, and a choice of armor even if it dose not protect me... i like the look of armor.... could you imagine a forza level clothing/armor editor with trade option ..

now what i hate .... the co-op that is such a poorly thought out and implimented feature its an abortion of a game play...... at minimum  it need to be mercs 2 style but no we dont even get that, why cant my character and weapons be there and why am i restricted to the hosts camera view its not like we are playing locally where ic ould see that need,(though split screen would be better) I hope they rework and rerelease it in proper form nothing it that game was more of a disapointment than that.... 

i do love the game though spent almost 200 hour already in game on three diffrent characters (my first one the test one which has finnished and is on nutral, all quests finnished everything done) the other two one good one evil

also though good and evil is more balanced in this one than the last, i do want more choices in the next one, its still too extream to either end, and not enough grey.... 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

DMeisterJ said:
twesterm said:
DMeisterJ said:

That's what I'm trying to do now.  I almost have the market on a lock, just need to buy the weapons shop, two houses, and the bar.  Then I'm going to old Bowerstone.

owning everything is so cool, you can manipulate the economies of other towns, by changing rates of sales, and rent... its cool that each area responds to the other...... also i always recomend buying the bar first make more money that way. 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

goddog said:

also though good and evil is more balanced in this one than the last, i do want more choices in the next one, its still too extream to either end, and not enough grey.... 

Yeah, I was really surprised at the lack of augments.  I had held off on buying them and just used my two legendary weapons (the hammer and cleaver) until I found some better ones.  I thought there were going to be some cool elemental ones but they were all pretty lame.  It wasn't until I saw that what I'm pretty sure are the best two (ghoul and gold touch) became available to me that I realized there probably aren't going to any other ones worthwhile unless you just have to find them.

goddog said:
DMeisterJ said:
twesterm said:
DMeisterJ said:

owning everything is so cool, you can manipulate the economies of other towns, by changing rates of sales, and rent... its cool that each area responds to the other...... also i always recomend buying the bar first make more money that way. 

I thought things like bars and shops only made you money while you were playing though?

That's why I haven't bought many of them yet, I've just been mainly buying homes and a few shops that I know I can sell things to.

That review sounded kind of... fake. I heard the phrase "it makes you think" or variations of it too much and parts sounded like they came right out of a reviewer guide or something.