By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Is A "Hardcore Game"?

Garcian Smith said:

What creates such a stark difference between "hardcore" and "casual"?

The "z" at the end of the name.

Around the Network

My take:

With "Hardcore gamer", the hardcore part is the behavior. Doing extraordinary lengths relating to gaming. Playing (and replaying) a game for a total of 1000 hours. Posting thousands of posts in gaming threads. Collecting all available action figures (all five series) from a favorite game. Doing speed runs. Etc. He doesn't have to do all these. The point is there's a certain degree of obsession in the behavior.

There's actually a lot of hardcore gamers in these forums than what people would admit. Unfortunately, some critics have given "Hardcore gamer" such a bad connotation. I've read some critics point out hardcore gamers are just teeners or jobless 30-year-olds who can't afford buying their own game so they ask their mommies to buy their games. The critics' reasoning? Well, if this "hardcore gamer" can spend hundreds of hours playing games, this person can't be working on a stable 5-day 8-hour work week.

These critics then praise the "Casual Gamers" at the expense the "Hardcore" ones. "Casual Gamers" have the money because they work, but they don't have enough time to play, hence their casual preference of game style.

Given these descriptions, who would you like to be associated with? A freeloader who spends his ass just playing games and passes the electric bill to his hardworking parents? Or a tax-paying, hardworking, office worker who wants some quick casual game when he comes home late from work?

But I say this reasoning is a lot of bull.

First of all, playtime is not the sole measurement of being a hardcore gamer (or at the inverse, a casual gamer). As I have mentioned, there must be some degree of obsessiveness thrown into it. There is dedication in what he does. A lot of passion. Almost a completist urge.

We have members here who have real work, bought all current-gen consoles because he wants to have a chance to play all the best games on their respective systems. We have members that doesn't have enough time to play, but have just enough time to buy all collectible game goodies, as well as time to scour the Internet for news and rumors for his favorite systems. And post messages like crazy.

These people are hardcore, and depending on their current console affiliation (if they don't own all of them) they may not realize it. Heck, internally they might be denying it-- association and disassociation come hand in hand.

Stop insulting the hardcore gamer.

I think I've run out of time for my take on "Hardcore games" (gotta sleep), but here's a couple of small thoughts:
1. Hardcore gamers don't necessarily play hardcore games.
2. Hardcore games aren't necessarily intended for hardcore gamers.

Proud member of the Sonic Support Squad.

Good read hot, but it may have been a waste.
Oftentimes, an person will simply ask something like this not because they want to know or ask anyone's opinions, but just simply do it to state their own opinions in an indirect way.

Hard Core Gamer = a real gamer

Casual Gamer = Poser who calls himself a gamer but only plays maybe one or two games and thats it

Lol I'm just kidding, but IMO, these terms are useless ways to classify a person when they're presented in today's social life because society likes to classify cuz god forbid something unique comes along, they'll still classify it some how.

@ hotrodx )

very good points

Around the Network

If you don't look like this then you're a casual!

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

Someone who likes every kind of games, even the casual ones!
Also, who have at least two consoles.

MY ZELDA COLLECTION
Garcian Smith said:
Pristine20 said:

Nowhere in that post did it say that that player didn't rack the 250 hours within the course of a whole year even. You immediately jumped into conclusion with the assumption that the guy spent 250 straight hours playing ffxii yet you call others "elitists"...very funny.

Get the log out your eye first!

Sarcasm meter = fail.

Seriously though, I can't imagine spending 250 hours on a game, no matter how spread-out those hours are. That's, like... 20-25 normal-length games. Or almost 100 books. Heck, just for comparison's sake, that's the entire length of an eight-season TV show on DVD - times two. Just think about all of the interesting stuff he could have been doing if he spent even half of that time learning a new hobby, or experiencing some other intellectual activity (like reading), or hanging out with friends, or - gasp! - going outside.

To put it another way: Do you really think that spending 250 hours meticulously doing every single little thing in a single game is an indicator of a stable, let alone remotely interesting, personality?

I've played cod4 online since it launched in nov 2007 and still log in randomly every now and then to play especially when my friends call me up. I now have approximately 14 days in the game. So that makes you a better person than me right? EPIC FAIL.

Whether watching TV (which I rarely do) or reading books or Other "interesting stuff", everyone has what they do to entertain themselves. If the guy in question, enjoyed FFxii that much, then congrats to him. He actually got his moneys worth. I actually have a save in ffxii with 125 hours and a second playthrougfh with 150 hours because I missed the zodiac spear on the first playthrough. I could also say the fact that you'll spend all those hours watching TV means you're probably a fat slob. See how that works?

So you judge people based on what they do for entertainment? Good luck with your life. I chooose not to judge anyone till I've met them or listened to what they have to say and if you posts were a determinant of your real life attitude, I won't consider you too high on the "good people" meter because pre-judging is the root of many problems in society.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler