By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Is A "Hardcore Game"?

So, the consensus seems to be a that a "hardcore gamer" is someone who alters or bases their life around playing a game or games.

But then, nearly every game could be considered "hardcore," unless there's absolutely no reason to re-play or keep playing it.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network
Garcian Smith said:

MontanaHatchet said:
Also, I find it funny that you criticize hardcore gamers for being elitists, while at the same time you made an entire thread to bash them and call them manchildren. So that would either place you in the elitist or loser category. It's really up to you.

I find it funny that you're so defensive about a thread questioning whether "hardcore gamers" really exist that you interpret it as a personal attack/"bashing."

@ SHMUPGurus: So, is a soccer mom who spends hours every day on The Sims and Horsez a "hardcore gamer"?

@ Zucas: Actually, that definition would exclude nearly every genre that "hardcores" love. Most JRPGs aren't complex or difficult to master; shooters aren't really complex; platformers aren't really that complex; and so on. Basically, all that leaves is fighters, certain beat 'em ups, and complex sim genres like 4X games.

No. I recognize elitism when I see it, and this is one of the most common and annoying forms of it.

My definition of hardcore are gamers who plays to master games, what game he plays doesn't matter even if it is Wii Sports

An example of a hardcore game? Killer 7 ;)

The current definition on the internet seems to be "any game that's not on the Wii, regardless of theme, style or depth".

Around the Network
Garcian Smith said:

MontanaHatchet said:
Also, I find it funny that you criticize hardcore gamers for being elitists, while at the same time you made an entire thread to bash them and call them manchildren. So that would either place you in the elitist or loser category. It's really up to you.

I find it funny that you're so defensive about a thread questioning whether "hardcore gamers" really exist that you interpret it as a personal attack/"bashing."

Well it is an attack on those who claim to be hardcore gamers. "...it seems like an attempt by a bunch of teenagers and manchildren". Now I'm quite sure Montana isn't a teenager, so he must fit your description of a manchild. I don't claim to know if Montana calls himself a hardcore gamer, just using him as an example. While some of the self-proclaimed hardcore can at times be elitist (no doubt about that), your approach to the issue is not much different than what you're complaining about. At least that's how I see it.

Tetris Party got released earlier this week and my gf and I spent a lot of time on the game. Like actually playing the game instead of eating. We were really hardcore in our way to play the game.

There is not such thing as a hardcore game. There's only hardcore or casual gamers and even there, each person can be a hardcore player of a game while being a casual player of another game. For example, I play Wii Fit everyday and I always try to get the best score possible. At the same time, I play Assassin's Creed once in a while and I do not try to get everything, just play for fun. So, I'm an hardcore Wii Fit player and a casual Assassin's Creed player.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

A hardcore game must feature violence and the killing of prostitutes is always a plus. Adult language is always necessary or otherwise many gamers will get confused and forget they're playing a game intended to be hardcore.

I'll come up with something better eventually...

its bassically a sterotype that no one agrees on

can roughly be translated as 'cool'

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

Garcian Smith said:

I hear the word "hardcore" being bandied about recently. I, personally, don't think that there's such a thing as a "hardcore gamer" or hardcore games" - it seems like an attempt by a bunch of teenagers and manchildren to try to place themselves in some sort of elite, high-minded clique, in comparison to those supposedly kiddy/shallow/whatever "casual gamers."

So, convince me that "hardcore games" actually exist. How do you define a "hardcore game" - or, for that matter, a "hardcore gamer"? What creates such a stark difference between "hardcore" and "casual"?

It's a game which, along with any game with good graphics, tends to piss Wii fanboys off.