By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Is A "Hardcore Game"?

Garcian Smith said:
Pristine20 said:

Nowhere in that post did it say that that player didn't rack the 250 hours within the course of a whole year even. You immediately jumped into conclusion with the assumption that the guy spent 250 straight hours playing ffxii yet you call others "elitists"...very funny.

Get the log out your eye first!

Sarcasm meter = fail.

Seriously though, I can't imagine spending 250 hours on a game, no matter how spread-out those hours are. That's, like... 20-25 normal-length games. Or almost 100 books. Heck, just for comparison's sake, that's the entire length of an eight-season TV show on DVD - times two. Just think about all of the interesting stuff he could have been doing if he spent even half of that time learning a new hobby, or experiencing some other intellectual activity (like reading), or hanging out with friends, or - gasp! - going outside.

To put it another way: Do you really think that spending 250 hours meticulously doing every single little thing in a single game is an indicator of a stable, let alone remotely interesting, personality?

Somebody never played Harvest Moon!

Around the Network

World Of Warcraft

Khuutra said:
Garcian Smith said:
Pristine20 said:

Nowhere in that post did it say that that player didn't rack the 250 hours within the course of a whole year even. You immediately jumped into conclusion with the assumption that the guy spent 250 straight hours playing ffxii yet you call others "elitists"...very funny.

Get the log out your eye first!

Sarcasm meter = fail.

Seriously though, I can't imagine spending 250 hours on a game, no matter how spread-out those hours are. That's, like... 20-25 normal-length games. Or almost 100 books. Heck, just for comparison's sake, that's the entire length of an eight-season TV show on DVD - times two. Just think about all of the interesting stuff he could have been doing if he spent even half of that time learning a new hobby, or experiencing some other intellectual activity (like reading), or hanging out with friends, or - gasp! - going outside.

To put it another way: Do you really think that spending 250 hours meticulously doing every single little thing in a single game is an indicator of a stable, let alone remotely interesting, personality?

Forget Harvet Moon, I've spent appromixately 600 hours playing Pokemon Gold on 4 playthroughs.. I guess I'm a nerd..

Pixel Art can be fun.

SmokedHostage said:
Khuutra said:
Garcian Smith said:
Pristine20 said:

Forget Harvet Moon, I've spent appromixately 600 hours playing Pokemon Gold on 4 playthroughs.. I guess I'm a nerd..

Civ IV and I passed that mark a long time ago...

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I played the original Call of Duty for that long too.

Honestly, it's a term the Sony fanboys used to try and justify them not being in first place and to piss off the Wii fan/boys.

It's funny how any game that hits the Wii is automatically coined a "Casual" game.  Then a game like Little Big Planet comes out and it is coined a huge "Hardcore" game (and of course people go into racist mode when it gets delayed by a week, but that's another story).

Point is, if Little Big Planet was a Wii title (of course with not as good graphics, but still everything else), it would be dubbed a casual game, yet since it's on the PS3, it's Hardcore.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the term "Hardcore" doesn't exist, I think it does exist, however that is entirely subjective in a lot of cases.  I definetly do think the Wii series games are casual, but that doesn't mean they aren't as bad, it just means that they appeal to a crowd that isn't as familiar with gaming as the more "Hardcore" gamers are.  Hell, I have a blast playing Wii Sports with my friends (and I consider myself a hardcore gamer). 

I do enjoy hardcore games like SSBB, MKWii, Twilight Princess, SMG, Halo 3, MGS4, CoD4, many more.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents.

Around the Network

@Omega_Phazon_Pirate.: You win the thread.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Omega_Phazon_Pirate. said:

Honestly, it's a term the Sony fanboys used to try and justify them not being in first place and to piss off the Wii fan/boys.

It's funny how any game that hits the Wii is automatically coined a "Casual" game.  Then a game like Little Big Planet comes out and it is coined a huge "Hardcore" game (and of course people go into racist mode when it gets delayed by a week, but that's another story).

Point is, if Little Big Planet was a Wii title (of course with not as good graphics, but still everything else), it would be dubbed a casual game, yet since it's on the PS3, it's Hardcore.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the term "Hardcore" doesn't exist, I think it does exist, however that is entirely subjective in a lot of cases.  I definetly do think the Wii series games are casual, but that doesn't mean they aren't as bad, it just means that they appeal to a crowd that isn't as familiar with gaming as the more "Hardcore" gamers are.  Hell, I have a blast playing Wii Sports with my friends (and I consider myself a hardcore gamer). 

I do enjoy hardcore games like SSBB, MKWii, Twilight Princess, SMG, Halo 3, MGS4, CoD4, many more.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents.

If you own the three systems, is easier to see that hardcore is not the same as fanboy.

On the other hand, there are people saying that there are no hardcore or casual games, that is the people who can play ANY game in a hardcore way. So you can be pretty hardcore playing tetris or Wii sports...

I kind of disagree... I still think that games are designed thinking in a casual or hardcore target. And if you are an "open-minded hardcore gamer" you can play and "have a blast" in any of them. Casual gamers, on the other hand, they won´t become hardcore at will. So... what I am saying now? I have just demonstrated that the only gamers that truly exist are: THE CASUALS! No seriously, unless we are talking about some nerdhasnolifebuttoplayvideogameshardcore gamer, more normal gamers are harder to be classified, because, as you said, if we are in the mood we can play some Wii music and later, I don't know, MGS4 or whatever

Sky Render said:
What is a hardcore gamer? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!

What? Somebody had to do it.

Anyway, going by basic dictionary definitions (why do people forget about those so much?), a hardcore gamer would be a gamer who holds certain values to be fundamentally central to gaming, and adhere to those values as being the basis of all games. Not any specific values, mind you; the term "hardcore" can apply to anything from die-hard gamers, to die-hard sex fanatics, to die-hard aquarium fanatics, so you really can't say that there are consistent values attached to the term.

Awsome quote!

And also, I agree with your post completely

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

I'd think a hardcore gamer is a player who'd try hard to get a high score/beat the highest level of difficulty, spending time to research game mechanics and so on.

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

Hardcore games do not exist
Hardcore gamers do. Any game can become hardcore depending on how it is played but there are some games more "hardcore gamer" accessible; "harder, more complicated, deep" IE: "Write me an essay"
casual games; superficial, easy to learn, shiny IE; "spell this word correctly"
as you can see the casual "word spell" can get increasingly difficult over time, but at its easiest is D-O-G, whereas the hardcore "essay" still needs to have at least 100 "D-O-G"'s