By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Is A "Hardcore Game"?

Garcian Smith said:

MontanaHatchet said:
Also, I find it funny that you criticize hardcore gamers for being elitists, while at the same time you made an entire thread to bash them and call them manchildren. So that would either place you in the elitist or loser category. It's really up to you.

I find it funny that you're so defensive about a thread questioning whether "hardcore gamers" really exist that you interpret it as a personal attack/"bashing."

@ SHMUPGurus: So, is a soccer mom who spends hours every day on The Sims and Horsez a "hardcore gamer"?

@ Zucas: Actually, that definition would exclude nearly every genre that "hardcores" love. Most JRPGs aren't complex or difficult to master; shooters aren't really complex; platformers aren't really that complex; and so on. Basically, all that leaves is fighters, certain beat 'em ups, and complex sim genres like 4X games.

Well it wouldn't really take away that many RPGS because it fits the lenght part.  But most core games really seem to be focused around games that take a long time to play and master.  Ya know whenever I think of a core game I think of either a fighter game or a strategy game.  I mean of course RPG's and action adventures don't fit the progressive difficult and mastering but it is still present in bits and pieces and of coruse they are long games.

The main games though that are considered hardcore genres but most certainly aren't are your racers and shooters.  There is nothing hardcore about them haha.  They are pick up and play titles just like your party games.

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:
I was going to write an editorial about this, but then I realized that the comments section would end up being the worst thing known to man.

Why would that stop you, exactly?

(and how does one become a contributor)

Khuutra said:
MontanaHatchet said:
I was going to write an editorial about this, but then I realized that the comments section would end up being the worst thing known to man.

Why would that stop you, exactly?

(and how does one become a contributor)

Get noticed haha.  Write something outrageous that gets you a lot of attention and keep doing it with controversial articles and eventually they'll have no choice but to make you one.

SmokedHostage said:

There's not sure definition of Hardcore but there are some characteristics that have been fairly constant with games that are called "Hardcore."

1.) Bloom, along with grey and brown.

2.) HD Graphics

3.) Some themes that involves killing or finishing objectives violently

4.) Dark themes and other things that people generally relate with "cool"

5.) High-production values

6.) some degree of challenge or opposition

7.) High quality (reviewed with 8.5 or higher)

8.) deep, sometimes overcomplicated, gameplay and stories

Wow. This is proof that gamers will never ever consider any game on the Wii "Hardcore". A term, btw, that is completely and utterly useless, because it tries to divide gaming into two different camps, "Hardcore" and "Casual" based on subjective values, that have never been clearly defined.

This is invisible text!

I think hardcore is just someone who regularly plays games a s a hobby and takes them seriously. Everyone in this thread is "hardcore" :)

Around the Network

I'm not quite sure, but I guess it involves having to master one of these userfriendly controllers...

Hardcore Games = M Rating l Blood & Gore l Guns l Multiplayer l Steroids l Armor l Online l (Western)

Hardcore Games = T Rating l Stupid Weapons (KeyBlade,GunBlade) l Teens l Square Developed l Fetch Quests l Random Battles l (Eastern)

Both have to make you Angry l Scream l Waste at least 1 week in front of the TV

Just so everyone is clear GTA is the most casual game on the planet!

I'm doubting the OP has a point and rather wants this thread to serve as a place where he can try to justify his 'exotic' taste in casual sex games.

Killergran said:
SmokedHostage said:

There's not sure definition of Hardcore but there are some characteristics that have been fairly constant with games that are called "Hardcore."

1.) Bloom, along with grey and brown.

2.) HD Graphics

3.) Some themes that involves killing or finishing objectives violently

4.) Dark themes and other things that people generally relate with "cool"

5.) High-production values

6.) some degree of challenge or opposition

7.) High quality (reviewed with 8.5 or higher)

8.) deep, sometimes overcomplicated, gameplay and stories

Wow. This is proof that gamers will never ever consider any game on the Wii "Hardcore". A term, btw, that is completely and utterly useless, because it tries to divide gaming into two different camps, "Hardcore" and "Casual" based on subjective values, that have never been clearly defined.

A "Hardcore" game doesn't have to be all of these at once.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Due to a lot of people here on the net they describe it as an over the top violent and gorey game. But IMO a harcdore game is a game that has garnerd a successfull fanbase regardless of how hard or casual the game is. the word *hardcore* doesnt allways relate to games that are hard or violent.

Like others said here tetris gets hard as fuck when your advancing and advancing into levels but is it hardcore? to some no since its a pick up and play feeling but ton others it is. there are people who are masters of the game but they are hardcore because these guys have spent a lot of time playing.

A harcore game is not hardcore til its relesased into the market and gains financial success and a strong following then it can be considerd hardore . so in conclusion only core fans can make a game successful and hardcore.