By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Just finished MGS 3: Snake Eater... dear god

I have to play it again cause I don't remember everything you said lol

I WON STAR FOX 64 FROM THE 1st VGC VC GIVEAWAY!

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=0&id=31799

THANKS TO SUPER_ETECOON FOR EVERYTHING!

Mario Strikers Charged FC: 0774 5494 7156   Nick: IkeVasel

Super Smash Bros. Brawl FC: 3695 0970 8652   Nick: Vasel

Mario Kart Wii FC: 0430 8821 1448   Nick: IkeVasel

Please send me a private message after you add me!!

Around the Network

brings back memories.. i always thought mgs3 was the best of all. thank you for that recall. :)

superbeast1370 said:
greenmedic88 said:
Definitely one of the most incredible game experiences of the last generation.

I've bought it on three separate occasions: snake eater, subsistence (the proper version to play) and again with the MGS collection version.

I still enjoy watching the cut scenes in theater mode in addition to replaying various favorite sections of the game.

Odd thing is it took a second look at the game (subsistence) before the game really grew on me. The fixed camera angles of snake eater were a bit of a game breaker for me and all I wanted to do was skip ahead to the next story cut scene.

yeah, I did the same thing.  but for me Substance was the biggest reason the Collection.  I wonder if anyone got the Limited Edition of Subsistence (with 4 disc if preordered...I think)

Not too many people did. Considering the relatively low press run of Subsistence, the LE version really was a limited edition. I'd like to have a copy of the third disc for the re-cut 3.5 hr movie, but it's a collectible and typically goes for well over $100 used, often several hundred unopened.

If I ever saw a copy going for under $100, I'd still buy it.

There were three discs in the US release plus a separate copy of Metal Gear Saga Vol. 1 for pre-order.

DTG said:
MGS2 had a much more memorable ending. For those of you who prefer inherently shallow, meaningless closures MGS3 will appeal more but those who appreciate intellect, those who thirst for knowledge and understand MGS2 provided much more meat.

Just what is this supposed to mean? I haven't played MGS2 yet (this will soon change) but what is 'inherently shallow and meaningless'  about the ending of MGS3? And why are people appreciating MGS2 'better' (at least that's what you seem to imply) than those who liked MGS3 better? I could slightly understand you - wouldn't agree though - if you were comparing Transformers to There Will Be Blood, but this is two MGS's for christ's sake!

Furthermore, your pseudo-intellectualism is amusing.

I drink your milkshake.

It's because MGS3 had a lot less mental masturbation going on than MGS2, which for many, was the most offputting part of the game.

That and Raiden of course.

Unless you're into bishonen boys.

Not judging anyone if they are. That's your business.

MGS3 was intentionally written with a more straightforward plot, despite the big twists at the end, although many found the underlying theme of "scene" poignant, particularly since it applies directly to the fact that the player is playing the role of the future mastermind "villain" from the original MG series when he is still considered a patriotic hero. The events that occur within MGS3 are instrumental in Big Boss' disillusionment with concepts such as duty and country, which most soldiers will agree is essential in performing their roles effectively.

While the story was not intentionally obtuse, there are actually quite a few layers going on in MGS3 even without reading too deeply into it.

Around the Network

I was a bit confused about the party after the credits (minor spoiler alert) where the last thing he says is mr. director. Who is Mr. director?

The CIA director.

If you have a PS3, download the MGS Database. It pretty much fills in every single gap not answered in MGS4. It covers every canonical Metal Gear game.

Kojima also admit that MGS2's ending is some kind of failure.

No he didnt, he just regrets things had to be cut out. If it was up to him mgs2 would have had even more mental masturbation at the ending.

When I eventually play Metal Gear Solid 4, I will be comparing it to Metal Gear Solid 3 in terms of quality - that, so far, is my favorite game in the series. I like the understanding it lends to the entire Metal Gear saga's plot, and how when you get down to it everything up to MGS4 has happened because of The Boss.